Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Sports City?

Re: Best Sports City?

I'll stick with Denver, thanks. Good franchises, for the most part, great fans and great atmosphere. Soccer, hockey, baseball, football, lacrosse, arena football, minor league ball a short drive away, winter sports, basketball... Superbowls and Stanley cups and fresh off a world series appearance. Collegiate level sports like the buffs and du pioneers. Air force etc. I'd have to think its a pretty solid sports city. Maybe not "storied" but certainly worthy of mention and consideration.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Ready for some bias?

So, Austin's better than Gainesville?
    No way, no how....

By the way, Atlanta is the worst sports town EVER. Nowhere else is even close.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Awfully nebulous concept that implicitly skews towards big cities.

I think you'd have to start by dividing it up into best pro sports town, best college sports, best high school sports, and best recreational sports. And even then, you'd pick the top 10 and throw them into a hat and it would be a valid list.

But top sports town? Nah, can't do it.
    Good point. And here's where it gets even more nebulous:

Which city has the best sports teams?
    Which city has the best sports fans?
    Which city is the best place for a sports fan?

Three different questions and quite possibly three different answers depending on who's being asked. I think the third question is what the original article was proposing to answer, not that it necessarily did.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    New York City.....and no one else is even close.

If you haven't won a SuperBowl and a World Series, you don't even qualify.
    Didn't Boston do this???
    Let's make some noise!

It comes down to the original question and what it means to be a sports fan. Does it mean winning - then yes if you follow NY teams you're likely to follow one that will win something over your lifetime.

If it means going to watch a quality sport in a quality arena then I don't think the article discusses that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    Didn't Boston do this???
    Yes. They have a shot at #2.

Baltimore has done both a couple of times, too. Plus, it's where Babe Ruth was born. I'm sure there's more for Baltimore, but I can't think of it. They've also won an NBA title, I believe in '76.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    i guess we are arguing two different things. I am NOT claiming that LA fans are the best. No sane person would ever claim that. However, it is no mistake that their teams have been extremely successful. UCLA is widely considered the top university in the country for successful sports teams. UCLA has 100 team titles (1st), and USC has 84 (3rd), (Stanford is in the middle). If they win 28 more titles, they will equal the entire Big Ten.
    LA Dodgers: 5 titles
    LA Angels: 1 title
    Anaheim Ducks: 1 title
    LA Lakers: 9 titles

On a National Scale, they have been extremely competitive.
    LA was the first City I thought of when I heard the question because of everything you say. It's just that emptiness of not having won a SuperBowl and not even having a team in the last 10 years.

(There's no doubt that the PAC-10 is the "Conference of Champions".)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Yes. They have a shot at #2.

Baltimore has done both a couple of times, too. Plus, it's where Babe Ruth was born. I'm sure there's more for Baltimore, but I can't think of it. They've also won an NBA title, I believe in '76.
    Baltimore didn't win an NBA title. They lost to the Bucks in '71. After they became the Washington Bullets, they won their only title in '78.

EDIT: They did win a BAA title, pre-NBA, in 1948.
    Last edited by RichRed; 07-17-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Baltimore didn't win an NBA title. They lost to the Bucks in '71. After they became the Washington Bullets, they won their only title in '78.

EDIT: They did win a BAA title, pre-NBA, in 1948.
    Does that count?

Foxboro isn't exactly Boston.

Turn Off Ads?