Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IMO Reds should re-sign Affeldt

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

IMO Reds should re-sign Affeldt

If he's willing to come back for relatively cheap (about what he makes now), re-sign him right now to a 2-year deal. A lefty that can get the fastball up to 96 consistently and has a good curve as well. I know he's struggled here and there, but overall his numbers have been good. I like the idea of having him and Bray as the Reds' top-two lefties out of the pen, paired with Burton and Cordero as the top-two righties. Then you throw in Roenicke and we have a pretty nice all-around bullpen for '09.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: IMO Reds should re-sign Affeldt

I agree.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Affeldt is having a career year so far.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I wouldn't pay him anymore than he's making now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I agree.
    The only three potential FA's I'd consider bringing back (other than AD) would be Hairston, Affeldr & Bako (as a backup catcher or LH half of a platoon with someone acquired).

The contracts would have to be very reasonable though and for no more than two years max (one preferrably).

I would deal either Hairston or Affeldt though if I got the right offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Affeldt is having a career year so far.
    His ERA is half a run higher than last year, his supposed "career year". Maybe since he now knows he is only a reliever, something has clicked. If no one offers up something good at the deadline, sign him up for next year.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    His ERA is alf a run higher than last year, his supposed "career year". Maybe since he now knows he is only a reliever, something has clicked. If no one offers up something good at the deadline, sign him up for next year.
    Look at his pre-ASB peripherals though:

K/9: 9.3
    BB/9: 3.4
    GB%: 50%
    FB%: 30.5%
    BABIP: .339
    HR/FB: 17.9

His HR/FB and BABIP suggest he's been unlucky.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Look at his pre-ASB peripherals though:

K/9: 9.3
    BB/9: 3.4
    GB%: 50%
    FB%: 30.5%
    BABIP: .339
    HR/FB: 17.9

His HR/FB and BABIP suggest he's been unlucky.
    His HR/FB% is very high especially considering the groundball rate. Part of that would be the home park, right?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    His HR/FB% is very high especially considering the groundball rate. Part of that would be the home park, right?
    I think the only way a HR/FB rate that high could be sustainable would be via injury/cliff diving and his peripherals argue against that.

Basically, I think given enough innings, his HR/FB rate will decrease on it's own...

That said, going forward, we should expect him to strikeout fewer batters and walk a bunch more (45 innings really isn't enough to indicate his true skill level has significantly changed)....

I would like to see Afedlt come back too. Sure, it's always a risk to give multiyear deals to middle relievers, but I'd probably give him 2 years. He's been pretty solid and we have an organizational need for a guy like him. In fact, I wouldn't mind extending him now (2 years max) , that's one less hole to fill this offseason.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think they'll try to trade him

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I think they'll try to trade him
    I do that. I think he could bring something of quality back in a trade. If he is making 3M this year his salary will go up. I think he will get north of 4M/year for 2-3 years. Bray and Herrera probably could pick up the slack instead of paying Affeldt.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

For my money, Affeldt is the exact sort of guy who you don't give a multi-year deal to. We're seeing his upside right now. Cash in the chips, flip him for a prospect, and find an Affeldt by a different name next year. Failed starters who throw hard but have trouble finding the plate simply aren't that rare. There's no need to commit money to one of them in particular who's merely pretty decent.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I would rather see Affeldt traded and replaced with Damaso Marte in the offseason on a one year deal.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

This past off-season Affeldt apparently wanted to start games. He signed with the Reds for that opportunity. It didn't work out.

My guess is that next year he will forget about starting and try for a mult-year offer someplace. Or, he will go some place he can start. I don't see Affeldt just agreeing to stay on with the Reds on a one-year deal to relieve. What's in it for Jeremy?

I fully expect the Reds to trade him or to try to work things out whereby they get a draft choice for losing him in free agency. I doubt Affeldt's a Red next year.

Affeldt has a great arm. If the Reds don't keep him, they'll need to replace him and I don't think Herrera is a replacement. Not the same type of pitcher. Pelland is a possibility -- seems like the same type, lefty, a lot of walks but a great arm. Or a new guy from the outside.

Turn Off Ads?