Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr.

with the Cards losing tonight, the Reds sit just 6 GB of the wild card...sort of makes you wonder if Hairston hadn't broke his thumb

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Kinda makes you think about how Dusty's love affair with Patterson has hurt this team.
    I think Cutler said today that the Reds are 20-19 with Patterson starting in CF. He's not the reason for that, but they have a worse record with him out of the lineup.

He had very good numbers in 04....and okay numbers in 05.

When healthy....he is not a bad option as a utility guy at all. Just do not over do it....just like Freel...but i think Hairston has been better, even on Freel's best days.

Hairston is a very good, well-rounded baseball player--when Dunn and Griffey go next year (or earlier) he'll be critical. Start him. Sign him LT for my money.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

His numbers in 2007 mirror Patterson's numbers this year.

He was that bad. Maybe he was still hurt.

There is no doubt he has been a blessing for this team, but I wouldn't sign him long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I think Cutler said today that the Reds are 20-19 with Patterson starting in CF. He's not the reason for that, but they have a worse record with him out of the lineup.
    So, where do they lose?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Hairston is a very good, well-rounded baseball player--when Dunn and Griffey go next year (or earlier) he'll be critical. Start him. Sign him LT for my money.
    Sign himlong-term based on 55 games when his career is almost 900 games? Seriously?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Sign himlong-term based on 55 games when his career is almost 900 games? Seriously?
    Could he come cheap?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

He was hurt the last two years so I wouldn't dump a bundle on him, but he's a good guy to have on the team--especialy to influence young guys like Bruce...

If Hairston will come cheap, I see no problem with having him as a bench player beyond 2008. He does seem to have a positive influence, plays hard, does the little things. I do think he's having a career year, but again, if he'll come cheap, I have no problem with him being part of the bench. I would not pencil him in full-time at any position next year, however.

He's played 870 games and has had almost 3000 career ABs. His line looks like: .258/.328/.364. That's a career OPS of .692.

He's 32 years old. Guys don't just discover how to hit at 32 years old. I wouldn't use 55 games this season to decide that he's a part of the future. I love what he's done and he's definitely been good (offensively) this year, but he's had enough ABs over his career to tell us who he is as a ballplayer. He's having a nice first half of the season, nothing more, IMO.
    Run the numbers without 06 and 07 when he says he was playing hurt. He is an EXCELLENT hitter and learned it a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Run the numbers without 06 and 07 when he says he was playing hurt. He is an EXCELLENT hitter and learned it a while back.
    You mean when he put up OSP+'s of 91, 87, 75, 92, 93, 105, and 82? I guess I could tolerate him as a utility guy but nothing more than a one year contract. He can play a lot of positions but no one position above-average defensively. Don't make the same mistake (Freel) twice...

As much as I want to hate him and I want Kepp/Bruce/whoever to play, the guy is flat out playing this year. He's getting clutch hits, he's doing the little things that no one else seems to do, and he's getting on base and making things happen. I am in the club that thinks this is simply a career year but I also think so far he has proved valuable to the club and should be kept around. I don't think he will be a long term solution but if he does keep up his great year I would like to bring him back as a bench/utility player next year.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You mean when he put up OSP+'s of 91, 87, 75, 92, 93, 105, and 82? I guess I could tolerate him as a utility guy but nothing more than a one year contract. He can play a lot of positions but no one position above-average defensively. Don't make the same mistake (Freel) twice...
    Understood--I do think Hairston differs from Freel in two important ways: he's a little better athlete and he doesn't make stupid mistakes.

Love looking at old threads. I started this long ago and pretty much no one liked him. I have to admit that I saw something in him and even if is a bust the rest of the year - which he won't - he's actually put the reds in a position to consider being buyers and not sellers. Check out!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...light=hairston

Turn Off Ads?