Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Anyone know the extent of Hairston's injury today? What a terrible break for the Reds right now

2. Turn Off Ads?

too bad ... disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Anyone know the extent of Hairston's injury today? What a terrible break for the Reds right now
    Per Fay:

Jerry Hairston Jr. suffered a right hamstring strain. He'll be re-evaluated Monday by Dr. Tim Kremchek. The examinatino will include an MRI.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

It looks to be a serious hamstring pull. The issue with Hairston--like Freel-- is can he stay healthy? Looks like we can't expect him to stay healthy enough to ever be counted on as a starter and that's too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    bollox

What's funny is that you were super pro Dunn at the end of last year.

The only reason I'd be happy to see Dunn go is that I won't have to read crap like this as much.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    We have 10 years of data showing Hairston to be a poor player. He's had a great first half, but do you think that he's going to continue? Do you think he'll do it again next year? I don't. Frankly, I think the idea (and I know it's not yours, but it is what I was responding to) that Hairston is going to be able to fill Dunn's shoes at the plate next year is wholly irrational. Heck, I'd be surprised if he could duplicate or beat Griffey's 2008 next year. The notion that Hairston is going to be able to replace either of these players is silly.
    I would submit that truly poor players don't compile ten years of data. Do I think that Hairston is a starter-quality player? No, I think he is best suited as a backup utility player (as is Freel). But I also believe in playing the hot hand.

As for Hairston's strained hamstring, what an unfortunate break--both for him and the club. Even if it is not serious, I have to think he will be making a trip to the disabled list. I figure that Paul Janish would be the most likely candidate to replace him on the roster, unless Jolbert Cabrera is ready to come off the DL. Speaking of Jolbert, has anybody heard any updates on him?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would submit that truly poor players don't compile ten years of data. Do I think that Hairston is a starter-quality player? No, I think he is best suited as a backup utility player (as is Freel). But I also believe in playing the hot hand.

As for Hairston's strained hamstring, what an unfortunate break--both for him and the club. Even if it is not serious, I have to think he will be making a trip to the disabled list. I figure that Paul Janish would be the most likely candidate to replace him on the roster, unless Jolbert Cabrera is ready to come off the DL. Speaking of Jolbert, has anybody heard any updates on him?
    Jolbert is on a rehab assignment in Dayton.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Yep. They are not good models for young players. Childish approach to the game. When the team is rid of them you will see better baseball, mark my words.

Bizarre how some Reds fans constantly make these associations that make no sense: Volquez=Jack Armstrong, Hairston=Freel... Hairston has an extremely level head and oodles of baseball smarts, which Freel does not. Freel, though fast, is a BAD baserunner. Hairston is an EXCELLENT baserunner. Hairston plays IF better, and takes better routes in the OF than Freel. Freel has the edge in catching up to certain fly balls. Hairston's arm is stronger and more accurate. And finally, I have a feeling Hairston is not the type of guy to get caught up in numerous brushes with the law do to alcohol, a la Freel. If what you mean is that both Freel and Hairston are both leadoff hitters, then you may have a point.

I'm convinced that there's no possible way even you believe the crap that you post. You can't honestly believe that Dunn and Griffey are bad for the development at the MLB level for Jay Bruce. If you do, then words escape me...

And as for Volquez = Armstrong or Hairston = Freel, you have to entertain those notions, and cannot easily dismiss them as you do. Volquez could easily have an excellent 1st half and then we'll never get good results from him ever again. I don't think he'll go that route, but it's possible, and you have to entertain the notion.

And as for Hairston = Freel, it's a very real and valid comparison. They are both older supersubs who have zero business starting. Unfortunately, we might do the unthinkable and give Hairston a Freel-esque contract. I'm sorry that you can't see the obvious, yet continue to have a vendetta against Dunn and Griffey. Sad, but true.

Apparently not a guy you can count on long term, like Freel, and why other teams don't seem too interested in them either I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would submit that truly poor players don't compile ten years of data.
    Sure they do. Off the top of my head, Juan Castro, Mike Benjamin, and Neifi Perez. Hairston's not as bad as them; that's why I called him "poor" and not "worthless."

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    We have 10 years of data showing Hairston to be a poor player. He's had a great first half, but do you think that he's going to continue? Do you think he'll do it again next year? I don't. Frankly, I think the idea (and I know it's not yours, but it is what I was responding to) that Hairston is going to be able to fill Dunn's shoes at the plate next year is wholly irrational. Heck, I'd be surprised if he could duplicate or beat Griffey's 2008 next year. The notion that Hairston is going to be able to replace either of these players is silly.
    I completely agree with you that he's not going to duplicate Dunn's stats. If we think plugging him in leftfield would be ok, well, that's far from a fact. But he's not a bad guy to have on the team. Do I think he'll continue to hit the way he's hitting? No I don't. But I do think he can be valuable, and I do think he can perform better than his career numbers indicate. Like I said, I'd like to have him around... but only if they're willing to be realistic about what it will cost.

Hairston would be a great role player for the Reds IF they recognize him as that and pay accordingly. I'd love to have him as the 4th OFer, backup 2Bman and emergency SS. I just don't want the Reds thinking that now CF and the leadoff spot is solved. I heard Marty and Jeff saying exactly that in the 2nd Brewers game. How next year with Hairston in CF leading off, Bruce in RF and AGon back at SS this team will be set if they get a RH bat to replace Dunn. Amazingly, they got 1 of 4 options correct. And I'm afraid their thinking might be the management's thinking, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hairston would be a great role player for the Reds IF they recognize him as that and pay accordingly. I'd love to have him as the 4th OFer, backup 2Bman and emergency SS. I just don't want the Reds thinking that now CF and the leadoff spot is solved. I heard Marty and Jeff saying exactly that in the 2nd Brewers game. How next year with Hairston in CF leading off, Bruce in RF and AGon back at SS this team will be set if they get a RH bat to replace Dunn. Amazingly, they got 1 of 4 options correct. And I'm afraid their thinking might be the management's thinking, too.
    I agree with you on Hairston.

Lets hope and pray that Walt agrees with us more than he does with Marty and Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I agree with you on Hairston.

Lets hope and pray that Walt agrees with us more than he does with Marty and Jeff.
    I don't think you have to worry about that. For the moment, Hariston is (was) hot and you have to play the hot hand. We've seen it with Freel and others. The danger is when those in charge (manager, GM, owner) decide he is the real deal. Then, you've got a real problem. We've seem this with Freel who is named by every manager the Reds have ever had as the backup on every position on the field (at one time Freel on the depth chart was second to most everyone), but managers, along with the radio booth lobby for him because he appears to be the "sparkplug" of the team. Then he goes through great long stretches of 0-4's and 1-5's as he plays longer. Remeber when Narron and others kept saying he was the "key?" And yet, he wasn't and when it was pointed out how bad he was, they would always come up with a career OBP statistic? Never mind that he got thrown out and picked off at an alarming rate.

Never mind. The hot Hairston is gone for now. I imagine, like Feel, he's out for the duration, and that's a shame because he was hot. Jocketty isn't anyone's dummy and he knows this. Time for Walt to find a real shortsop and a right-handed outfielder for next year (as well as a good defensive cather--no, Ross is not that). My money's on Walt. And if not, see ya.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Per Mandy at John Fay's Blog:

Jerry Hairston Jr., who left Sunday's game against the Brewers in Milwaukee due to injury, was evaluated by doctors and has a mild right hamstring strain. John Fay reports Hairston will be re-evaluated Thursday.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?