Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    If what you mean is that both Freel and Hairston are both leadoff hitters, then you may have a point.
    Look... I think an overwhelming majority of us on here would have no problem with the Red's FO trying to retain Hairston next year. We really have no other viable solutions at lead off right now, unless it might be a Keppinger.

The issue is money.

He is making $500,000 this year. I'd have no problem with them doubling his salary and taking on a team option for 2010 that maybe is performance based.

But anything more then that is a huge gamble and waste IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yep. They are not good models for young players. Childish approach to the game. When the team is rid of them you will see better baseball, mark my words.
    "Childish?"

Career AVG/OBP.SLG/OPS+
    Griffey: .288/.373/.548/139
    Dunn: .247/.381/.521/131

If that's childish, I'll take a team of toddlers, please. The "mature" Hairston has put up a career line of .260/.329/.367/84. That's a bad line, no way around it. Hairston's not a good player and never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    As much as I want to hate him and I want Kepp/Bruce/whoever to play, the guy is flat out playing this year. He's getting clutch hits, he's doing the little things that no one else seems to do, and he's getting on base and making things happen. I am in the club that thinks this is simply a career year but I also think so far he has proved valuable to the club and should be kept around. I don't think he will be a long term solution but if he does keep up his great year I would like to bring him back as a bench/utility player next year.
    Why do you want to hate him? I don't think that any of us who argue against him hate him or want to hate him. I'm thrilled that he's having a career year. I hope the Reds ride the wave for as long as it lasts and maybe get a nice offer for him. I just think that after a year like this he's going to want to get paid next year and someone will be willing to pay him, I just hope it's not the Reds.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    "Childish?"

Career AVG/OBP.SLG/OPS+

If that's childish, I'll take a team of toddlers, please. The "mature" Hairston has put up a career line of .260/.329/.367/84. That's a bad line, no way around it. Hairston's not a good player and never has been.
    Walks are childish, get up there and swing at everything like an adult!
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Why do you want to hate him? I don't think that any of us who argue against him hate him or want to hate him. I'm thrilled that he's having a career year. I hope the Reds ride the wave for as long as it lasts and maybe get a nice offer for him. I just think that after a year like this he's going to want to get paid next year and someone will be willing to pay him, I just hope it's not the Reds.
    Because he's hasn't displayed the numerical trends the poster would like?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Yep. They are not good models for young players. Childish approach to the game. When the team is rid of them you will see better baseball, mark my words.
    bollox

What's funny is that you were super pro Dunn at the end of last year.

The only reason I'd be happy to see Dunn go is that I won't have to read crap like this as much.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Can you give me examples, in MLB, of guys who were late bloomers in their 30s?
    I could, but they all got busted for HGH, too.

Senor Votto

I would give Hairston a contract for next year but it would be cheap. So far this year Haiston has been an important player for the Reds but can he do it again after this year? I don't know. I think it's worth a shot. But by no means would I just hand him a starting job next year.

Next year could look like:
    C- Bako and Ross most likely
    1st- Votto
    2nd- Phillips
    SS- Gonzo and Kepp
    3rd- Edwin?
    LF- Dunn?
    CF- ?
    RF- Bruce

Gonzo will be back and he is a solid defensive man. I would probably try to trade Edwin for some decent prospects and move Keppinger to 3rd. Then if Hairston is a stud like he's been this year you can put him at SS and still have Kepp at 3rd base. That way you get your two contact hitters in the lineup every day.

Or they could keep Edwin and try Hairston in center.

C- Bako or Ross
    1st- Votto
    2nd- Phillips
    SS- Gonzo or Keppinger
    3rd- Edwin
    LF- Dunn?
    CF- Hairston
    RF- Bruce

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

A good team would have Hairston (and Keppinger for that matter, too) as a strong bench player, a guy that you can count on to make your team more versatile, fill in where needed, pinch run or play defense late in games. A smart player- and as mentioned above, an excellent baserunner.

Not as a starter. Not batting lead-off. A 2 year contract and counting on him for anything more than bench strength would be foolish; it's not what winning teams do.

I tip my cap to Hairston- he's been a lot of fun to watch this year and he's playing the best baseball of his life right now. By all means, sign him up for a one year extension, but do not promise him a starting spot, and do tell him he'll be playing wherever they need him to be- just like this year.

JH is playing well because he feels good for the first time in at least 3 years. He's not getting any younger, and his back problems have been chronic. They absolutely will be a problem for him again in the future. The Reds need to protect themselves to be sure it's not their problem as well.
    sorry we're boring

High five!

I want the Reds to sign players who make Hairston the first, best option off the bench.

Not very often someone posts something that really makes me want to call them out but that does. That's all I'll say but I agree with Raisor. The only good I see in losing Dunn will be losing the kind of posts quoted here. Losing Dunn won't help the Reds but it might make Redszone easier to read sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    "Childish?"

Career AVG/OBP.SLG/OPS+

I don't think it's fair to say that. He's having a good season, and is a GOOD player, right here, right now. We should do nothing foolish in terms of money, but IMO he should certainly be re-signed. Maybe Hairston just got a clean slate here in Cincy? Steroid mess over with, injuries seemingly over with. He's just going out and playing. It's fair to point to his past and say we shouldn't go overboard in extending him. But it's not fair to point to his past and act as if it's an absolute certainy that he's junk, because he's been a valuable member of this team from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say that. He's having a good season, and is a GOOD player, right here, right now. We should do nothing foolish in terms of money, but IMO he should certainly be re-signed. Maybe Hairston just got a clean slate here in Cincy? Steroid mess over with, injuries seemingly over with. He's just going out and playing. It's fair to point to his past and say we shouldn't go overboard in extending him. But it's not fair to point to his past and act as if it's an absolute certainy that he's junk, because he's been a valuable member of this team from the get go.
    We have 10 years of data showing Hairston to be a poor player. He's had a great first half, but do you think that he's going to continue? Do you think he'll do it again next year? I don't. Frankly, I think the idea (and I know it's not yours, but it is what I was responding to) that Hairston is going to be able to fill Dunn's shoes at the plate next year is wholly irrational. Heck, I'd be surprised if he could duplicate or beat Griffey's 2008 next year. The notion that Hairston is going to be able to replace either of these players is silly.

This is like the threads back in early May about Bako but of course he has returned to his career norms (has OPS around .500 last couple months) and they have stopped. When JHJ returns to his career norms (which will happen) these threads on him will also stop.

Extending players like Jerry Hairston instead of flipping them for a prospect is precisely the kind of move bad organizations make.

Players, especially hitters, don't turn a corner 12 years in to their careers. 2600 Pre-08 AB > 180 AB in 2008. Hairston has a .392 BABIP due to a 29.7 LD%. Either Hairston has become Ted Williams, or we're seeing a guy enjoying a great hot streak who's poised for a massive crash.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-13-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?