Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr.

nm
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I don't think you have to worry about that. For the moment, Hariston is (was) hot and you have to play the hot hand. We've seen it with Freel and others. The danger is when those in charge (manager, GM, owner) decide he is the real deal. Then, you've got a real problem. We've seem this with Freel who is named by every manager the Reds have ever had as the backup on every position on the field (at one time Freel on the depth chart was second to most everyone), but managers, along with the radio booth lobby for him because he appears to be the "sparkplug" of the team. Then he goes through great long stretches of 0-4's and 1-5's as he plays longer. Remeber when Narron and others kept saying he was the "key?" And yet, he wasn't and when it was pointed out how bad he was, they would always come up with a career OBP statistic? Never mind that he got thrown out and picked off at an alarming rate.

Never mind. The hot Hairston is gone for now. I imagine, like Feel, he's out for the duration, and that's a shame because he was hot. Jocketty isn't anyone's dummy and he knows this. Time for Walt to find a real shortsop and a right-handed outfielder for next year (as well as a good defensive cather--no, Ross is not that). My money's on Walt. And if not, see ya.
    Its kind of sad that instead of embracing the year Hariston has had so far many are ready from him to fall on his face. Is he a world beater? No but a the same time if someone told you he would hit ~.350 and have an opb ~.400 you would be estatic. Hariston has been a very productive offensive player htis year and his versitility has been a great bonus.

I wouldn't break the bank to sign him but I would explore it. He doesn't remind me of Freel at all because Hariston has clue of how to play the game. He gives you ok defense where ever he has played and has had a good approach to hitting since he came up to the reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its kind of sad that instead of embracing the year Hariston has had so far many are ready from him to fall on his face. Is he a world beater? No but a the same time if someone told you he would hit ~.350 and have an opb ~.400 you would be estatic. Hariston has been a very productive offensive player htis year and his versitility has been a great bonus.

I wouldn't break the bank to sign him but I would explore it. He doesn't remind me of Freel at all because Hariston has clue of how to play the game. He gives you ok defense where ever he has played and has had a good approach to hitting since he came up to the reds.
    He reminds me of Freel in that he plays multiple positions passably well, and has similar skills. However, I think that he is much more cerebral regarding the game than Freel is. This is probably because Hairston grew up in the clubhouse at Comiskey Park, with a father who was a 14-year major-league veteran, and he learned how to do things the right way. (I know people hate that phrase, but it's true.) It's like in basketball--often a coach's kid will do the little things that you don't expect out of a player, because he grew up in an environment where he was always around the game.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Wonderful news. I really like Jerry, his approach to the game & the way the Reds play when he bats leadoff.

IMO Freel is a good corner outfielder otherwise he is below average in CF, 2B & 3B. Hairston is a better defensive player than Freel.

That didn't look too mild. I wonder what the MRI showed. I'd be amazed if he's not put on the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    He reminds me of Freel in that he plays multiple positions passably well, and has similar skills. However, I think that he is much more cerebral regarding the game than Freel is. This is probably because Hairston grew up in the clubhouse at Comiskey Park, with a father who was a 14-year major-league veteran, and he learned how to do things the right way. (I know people hate that phrase, but it's true.) It's like in basketball--often a coach's kid will do the little things that you don't expect out of a player, because he grew up in an environment where he was always around the game.
    I agree here. Hariston and Freel are similar in their versitility but at the same time they are very different in their on the field actions. Hariston has had two injuries this season, a pulled hammy and a fractured finger. The finger was a rare occurance that you can't prevent. The hammy is another baseball injury that you really can't prevent. Its not like Freel's injuries steming from diving wrecklessly after balls or running into walls.

What I like about Hariston, to quote you, is that he does things the right way. He handles the bat well and has a purpose for each pitch he sees. IMO his worst position that he has played this year is CF but other than that he holds his own at every position. He is one of the few players who you can put anywhere and you know he will be in the right place when he is supposed to be.

Its kind of sad that instead of embracing the year Hariston has had so far many are ready from him to fall on his face.
    If you ate at the buffet and had big plates of Jack Armstrong, Chris Stynes, Mark Lewis, Jeff Branson, Steve Parris, Jimmy Haynes, John Nunnley, Willie Greene and came away with a stomach ache wouldn't you question the chef's special each time it showed up on the big board?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If you ate at the buffet and had big plates of Jack Armstrong, Chris Stynes, Mark Lewis, Jeff Branson, Steve Parris, Jimmy Haynes, John Nunnley, Willie Greene and came away with a stomach ache wouldn't you question the chef's special each time it showed up on the big board?
    Maybe if when you ate at the bufett, you dined on big plates of Dunn, Phillips, Volquez, Cueto, Votto, Burton, etc. you wouldn't need to question the chef so much?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Maybe if when you ate at the bufett, you dined on big plates of Dunn, Phillips, Volquez, Cueto, Votto, Burton, etc. you wouldn't need to question the chef so much?
    Maybe.. but I still wouldn't pay a special price for the Fish on Monday no matter how good it looked that day.

...I'm hungry all of a sudden
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That didn't look too mild. I wonder what the MRI showed. I'd be amazed if he's not put on the DL.
    According to Trent the MRI just showed a mild strain. So based on that the DL might not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    According to Trent the MRI just showed a mild strain. So based on that the DL might not be necessary.
    That's excellent news. He went down hard after clearing the bag. Though a DL stint might be Chris Dickerson's chance for a debut.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That's excellent news. He went down hard after clearing the bag. Though a DL stint might be Chris Dickerson's chance for a debut.
    Dickerson can't be any worse than Patterson offensively, and defensively Dickerson might actually be better than Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Who is the backup SS then? I think they bring in an IF if Hariston heads to the DL

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Who is the backup SS then? I think they bring in an IF if Hariston heads to the DL
    Ah, my bad. You're right. Hairston to the DL probably means Janish back up and more CPatt action. Get healthy Jerry!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?