Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Hairston Jr.

Re: Jerry Hairston Jr.

I agree, the Reds need to take some calculated risks from time to time in order to keep up with (and hopefully pass) the Joneses. However, IMO, Hairston (going forward) is not the kind of risks the Reds should be taking.
    Why not? Financially, he's probably about 1/10th the risk Adam Dunn would be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    So long as he holds up physically this year, you won't get him unless you go multiple years. The issue with Hairston is his durability. You have to keep him rested.
    If he's not willing to go one year, you thank him for his service and move on.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If he's not willing to go one year, you thank him for his service and move on.
    Are we able to sign Hairston to monthly contracts, or maybe even 1/2 season contracts?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Why not? Financially, he's probably about 1/10th the risk Adam Dunn would be.
    1. Just because there is more money involved, doesn't mean the risk is higher.
    2. At 2 years $7M ($3.5/yr) you give the nod to Hairston ... your expecting Dunn to command $35M a year then?

Dunn is about as risk free as you can find. He is consistenly on the field and gives consistent production from year-to-year. The only question with Dunn is what is the price/length of his next contract. More than 3 years? Getting risky. Three or less, not much risk at all.

With Hairston we'd be hoping he could stay on the field, and that his last 10% of ABs is a better indicator than his fist 90%. $3.5M over 2 years, sign me up. $7M/2yr, too risky for me.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Are we able to sign Hairston to monthly contracts, or maybe even 1/2 season contracts?
    10 day contracts, like the NBA.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

10 day contracts, like the NBA.
    I think we've found a solution, b/c 1 season is the absolute most I'd want Hairston locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And if he reverted back to the player he was for his prior 2500 AB?

Freel was in demand because he was getting on base 36% of the time and stealing lots of bags. A back-to-normal Jerry Hairston doesn't do anything particularly well.

I'm not sure why so many people are willing to overlook how utterly unsustainable his LD% driven BA, driven OBP, driven SLG performance is. He will regress to reason levels, whereupon his lack of walks and mere doubles power will show him be just what he is, a mediocre utility guy. Guys like him are fungible.
    How much stock to you put in his injury? From all reports Hariston had a cracked rib in his back that he thought was back pain for a couple of years. Whose to say that Hariston had improved as a ball player but the back pain prohibited him from performing at the level he could.

Look at his atbats. He is not overmatched at the plate and isn't getting lucky. He is putting up good at bats and hitting the ball well. If that disappears in the second half then thank him for his services but if that doesn't then a 2 year deal similar to what Freel got isn't that bad of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    With Hairston we'd be hoping he could stay on the field, and that his last 10% of ABs is a better indicator than his fist 90%. $3.5M over 2 years, sign me up. $7M/2yr, too risky for me.

GL
    I agree. He's not worth $7mill/2yrs because he hasn't shown he can stay healthy enough to start. I doubt he'll command that much

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Look at his atbats. He is not overmatched at the plate and isn't getting lucky. He is putting up good at bats and hitting the ball well. If that disappears in the second half then thank him for his services but if that doesn't then a 2 year deal similar to what Freel got isn't that bad of a thing.
    His history shows that he will put up ok-good numbers for half a season, then tank. I hope that's not what happens, but that's the way I'd bet.

I think we've found a solution, b/c 1 season is the absolute most I'd want Hairston locked up.
    If I remember correctly, about 1/2 the 25-man roster will be moving into free agency. Unless Jocketty is planning to promote 6-7 guys from Louisville, he'd do well to lock up some players on this year's roster before they hit the market. I think Hairston is one they should sign if he can't be moved at the deadline in a trade that brings back an unquestionably good return of one kind or another -- and provided he stays healthy. Because there's no telling what the front office will be able to bring in next year if it's looking at filling 12-13 spots.

Scrappy Fest 08 has begun!!!

Cincy fans love them some Scrappy guys.

If that disappears in the second half then thank him for his services but if that doesn't then a 2 year deal similar to what Freel got isn't that bad of a thing.
    What happens when he returns to the mean at the age of 33 with that 2 year contract?

And by tech mean I mean ... Desi Relaford and guys like this

Code:
    RUNS CREATED/GAME              RC/G      OBA      SLG      AB     
    1    Dave Collins               4.44     .338     .351     4907   
    2    Alan Bannister             4.36     .334     .355     3007   
    3    Bump Wills                 4.33     .335     .360     3030   
    4    Billy Klaus                4.32     .335     .351     2513   
    5    Mickey Morandini           4.31     .338     .359     4558   
    6    Jeff Reed                  4.23     .334     .361     3101   
    7    Dave Cash                  4.20     .334     .358     5554   
    8    Damian Jackson             4.17     .323     .356     2209   
    9    Russ Snyder                4.17     .325     .363     3631   
    10   Gene Stephens              4.16     .325     .355     1913   
    11   Alex Arias                 4.16     .338     .350     1773   
    12   Chad Kreuter               4.16     .335     .357     2505   
    13   Danny O'Connell            4.14     .333     .351     4035   
    14   Marty Barrett              4.14     .337     .347     3378   
    15   Jerry Lumpe                4.09     .325     .356     4912   
    16   Red Wilson                 4.06     .338     .355     1765   
    17   Bobby Del Greco            4.04     .330     .352     1982   
    18   Ricky Gutierrez            4.01     .338     .350     3632   
    19   Ed Kirkpatrick             4.01     .327     .363     3467   
    20   Danny Heep                 3.99     .330     .357     1961   
    21   Jerry Hairston Jr.         3.98     .324     .357     2535   
    22   Bill Tuttle                3.95     .334     .363     4268   
    23   Glenn Hubbard              3.93     .328     .349     4441   
    24   Rick Burleson              3.93     .328     .361     5139   
    25   Mike Bordick               3.92     .323     .362     5770

As of right now, he's the best option the Reds have at the leadoff spot and to play CF. Surely we don't want Patterson to come back. While it would be great to get a player who gets a lot of walks to lead off, that's clearly not a priority with Dusty. Yes, he's injury prone so you keep Freel around to play when he's hurt. When Freel gets hurt, Hariston plays. When they are both healthy, play the hot one. Give him $1M-1.5M for next year and if he wants anything more, give him a club option for 2010.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Yep, I'd sign him for 2 years with either a club option or a mutual option for year 2.

No matter what, the Reds can get out of year 2. If he turns out to be stellar, Hairston can go on the open market in year 2 if he so chooses.

I really like what he's done this season for the Reds, but too many questions about staying healthy and sustaining his performance exist for my Nunally-Stynes tastes.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Look at his atbats. He is not overmatched at the plate and isn't getting lucky.
    He's not getting lucky? His Line Drive rate is 30.2% and his BABIP is .389 right now. There isn't a hitter alive capable of sustaining those numbers over the long haul.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?