Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn Petition

Dunn Petition

Is there anyway the fans could petition the front office to sign AD long term? Now I've wanted this for a while not just because of last night's game.

Having Dunn here long term gives us a special Red to follow that came up through the farm system such as Bench, Rose, Larkin, etc. Players like this only come around once in a blue moon and if Dunn could ever learn to spread the ball around my Lord what a dominating player he would become.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn Petition

He's never going to learn to spread the ball around. He is what he is.

Now that doesn't mean you don't re-sign him. I wouldn't mind seeing him back simply because of his offensive production. That isn't going to be replaced. The question is with his and Griffey's salary freed up, can you get two guys who are better for your team? Because you aren't going to get Dunn-like production from any single player.

I guess the question is, can you better improve your team by having Adam Dunn back and having $15 million freed up with Griffey gone (more if Arroyo gets dealt) to spend in the FA market or if you don't have Dunn back and have in excess of $30 million? The FA market this year doesn't seem that great so re-signing Dunn might be the best option.

I'd rather throw $20 million at Teixeira, stick him on 1B, move Votto to LF, sign Hairston for CF and leadoff, stick Bruce in RF, and put Keppinger at SS.

CF Hairston
    SS Keppinger
    1B Teixeira
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    LF Votto
    3B EE
    C Bako/Ross
    Who's on first?

Signing Tex would be fantastic. He would put up huge numbers in GABP. There will be a lot of competition for him and we could get out-bid by the Yanks/Sox.

I'm fine for signing Hairston back to the team, but I have to think his numbers are going to slide back toward his career averages at some point. But he's fine as a Ryan Freel type where he can fill in at multiple positions even if he doesn't work out as your regular CF.

Plus I want to buy a Reds jersey but I don't want to buy one of some player that is going to be traded. I already have a Dunn shirt and I have been the wearing the crap out of it cause I'm afraid I won't be wearing it soon! There is really no one else on the Reds that I want a jersey of.

Boras is going to try to get Tex nearly $23MM next year. That's a quarter of our payroll.
    No thanks.
    He's not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    Boras is going to try to get Tex nearly $23MM next year. That's a quarter of our payroll.
    No thanks.
    He's not that good.
    He's better than Griffey or Dunn. Plus he adds some pop from the right side.

I saw on mlbtraderumors.com that the Braves are considering trading Teixiera now because he walks after the season. Maybe we could trade for him, contingent upon signing him long term?
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    He's better than Griffey or Dunn. Plus he adds some pop from the right side.

I saw on mlbtraderumors.com that the Braves are considering trading Teixiera now because he walks after the season. Maybe we could trade for him, contingent upon signing him long term?
    I don't think anyone would argue that he is not but I think what the guy is saying is he's not worth 23 mill. He would also give you pop from the left side as well

$23 million? We could have Dunn for probably $15-16, if not less.

I don't think that his production is that much better than Dunn's. Not enough to warrant that much more money.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 07-13-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I'd rather throw $20 million at Teixeira, stick him on 1B, move Votto to LF, sign Hairston for CF and leadoff, stick Bruce in RF, and put Keppinger at SS.

CF Hairston
    SS Keppinger
    1B Teixeira
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    LF Votto
    3B EE
    C Bako/Ross
    Throw an extra 5-10 million for 10-20 more rbi's, a higher BA, and a lower OBP. Personally if we have to spend more than 12 million on Dunn i think he needs to go, but we also shouldnt spend any mega deal on someone like Tex, if we are gonna spend 15 million on a hitter it better be A-Rod, Pujols, or someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Throw an extra 5-10 million for 10-20 more rbi's, a higher BA, and a lower OBP. Personally if we have to spend more than 12 million on Dunn i think he needs to go, but we also shouldnt spend any mega deal on someone like Tex, if we are gonna spend 15 million on a hitter it better be A-Rod, Pujols, or someone like that.
    I agree with Griffey012

If Dunn is willing to sign for $15-16 for 2-3 years I'd do that in a heartbeat,if he wants the same
    money for 4-6 years asta la vista baby.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Personally if we have to spend more than 12 million on Dunn i think he needs to go, but we also shouldnt spend any mega deal on someone like Tex, if we are gonna spend 15 million on a hitter it better be A-Rod, Pujols, or someone like that.
    That simply isn't realistic in today's market. If you want a legitimate, proven run-producer, you're going to have to pay.

I was listening to 700 in the car yesterday, and they made a valid point. Nobody seems to want Dunn now, in the middle of a playoff race, so there might not be much of a market for him come the offseason. They went as far as to bring up a three year, 24 million dollar contract. Now I'm not stupid enough to believe he could be had that cheap, but if the market is weak he could be had at a good price.

Adam's made it very clear he wants to stay in Cincinnati. Nobody wants to move and go to work everyday with strangers if you're already settled in with good friends.

I'm sure Adam would give the Reds a so-called "home-team discount". The way he's swinging the bat lately, 5 HRs in 6 games, I'd love to have him back.

Turn Off Ads?