Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Trading Junior Make Us Sellers?

Would Trading Junior Make Us Sellers?

I don't know. He's a player that can help other teams, but his production in the 3 spot has killed this team this year. He's the worst three hole hitter in the National league, and he doesn't play good defense. Sure the fans love him, but does that merit him remaining here, even at the expense of some wins?

If he's out of the lineup, we could put Hairston in center, Bruce in right, and Keppinger at shortstop. IMO, that's a better lineup than with Griffey. Sure, we're losing some power, but 12 homers isn't that much to replace. I think Chris Dickerson would have 12 homers already, if given the chance.

So simply put, would it make us sellers if we unloaded Griffey?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would Trading Junior Make Us Sellers?

No, it would make us smart. Don't get me wrong I love Junior but his time here is over.Time for both parties to move on

Show me a team willing to take him? I doubt there are any.

That maybe true but that wasn't the question. I doubt there are any takers as well.

I would consider us sellers even though we havnt sold anyone yet just due to the fact that we are obviously shopping players. I doubt Jr. is traded because I cant see a team in contention wanting him.

The way I see it, being "sellers" means trading away productive pieces for prospects because you have no hope for that season. Cutting your losses so to speak. If we traded Jr., yes he is the the most recognized name on this team, but he isnt producing. If you ignore the name on the back of the jersey then you might even argue that by trading junior we are buyers. Addition by subtraction. This team is only 6 games out of the wild card behind the Cardinals, Brewers, Marlins, and Mets with 24 games left against those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I would consider us sellers even though we havnt sold anyone yet just due to the fact that we are obviously shopping players. I doubt Jr. is traded because I cant see a team in contention wanting him.
    Rays would want him.. thats more than the 0 teams you can "think" of..

SCUNNER11

Do you think the Reds would get anything in return for him? His contract may scare some teams off.

Hello to all, I just became a Redzone member today, been a long time fan.

Just one question to any of you who can answer it. Are the Reds retiring Larkin's #11 this month?

Barry has been a friend of the family since my dad coached him at U of M. I was the bat boy then for him, Sabo and Hal Morris. I have been wondering if they were going to do anything for him. I last talked to Barry here in Detroit the day of the Mich-OSU game in Nov., and did not want to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Show me a team willing to take him? I doubt there are any.
    I find it hard to believe that no one in the AL would pick up JR as a DH. Gary Sheffield with significantly worse numbers is making 13mill a year in Detroit.

Alan cutler is on the radio right now saying ""this team needs to KEEP griffey.

Getting rid of DUNN for sure. We cant afford dunn for 13 million a year.

But we should keep griffey. This team cant afford to get rid of both. People like griffey he brings fans to the game. People like to watch him swing the bat. BLAH BLAH BLAH> ""

Im about to puke this guy is so stupid.

Resident PED Expert

If the Rays offered us Baldelli straight up for him, I'd take that deal. you probaly get Baldelli to sign on the cheap and he plays centerfield. That would give Stubbs and the club 1 or 2 more years to develop or get off the pot so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    If the Rays offered us Baldelli straight up for him, I'd take that deal. you probaly get Baldelli to sign on the cheap and he plays centerfield. That would give Stubbs and the club 1 or 2 more years to develop or get off the pot so to speak.
    Isn't Baldelli most likely done for good?

Resident PED Expert

He has been rehabbing in High A ball for the last few weeks I think.

As has been pointed out already, it's addition by subtraction. Getting Griffey's poor defense, average, OBP, power, speed, ect., out of the lineup would more than offset not getting prospects in return. That's not to mention the millions we would save also.

Where are you going to trade him to?

It would have to be someone in the race for the playoffs and be willing to pick up his option for 09 for JR to approve the trade

He will not accept going to the Yankees

No team in the play off race will want a .235 hitting RF

Turn Off Ads?