Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: No Cordero to start the 9th?

  1. #1
    Member keeganbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,474

    No Cordero to start the 9th?

    How in the world does a major league manager leave David Weathers out there to pitch the 9th? He pitched the last 2 nights and the 8th inning today for 3 innings in 4 days. You really want to run him out there again in the 9th.....wow. Hall, Cameron due up who both strikeout a lot, Cordero didnt pitch last night and wont pitch for a while with the break. I appreciate that Weathers has been good this series but as soon as we got out of the 8th inning alive Im bringing in Cordero for the 9th and 10th inning if it goes that far.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    He's not very smart and is a terrible manager. The worst.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    62

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    I can't agree more. Ridiculous!!!!!

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    I too was baffled that he left Weathers out there to pitch the 9th.

    Can anyone come to Dusty's defense on this? Because again, I was just baffled. Almost like Dusty bet against the Reds...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Let me try to explain it to you- with Burton out that left the Reds a man short in the bullpen (two men short if you count the horrible Majewski). As a result Baker had to stretch those available-get an extra batter out of Bray and an extra inning out of Weathers. Under the circumstances, he didn't have a lot of options. Man, I hate second guessers.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Let me try to explain it to you- with Burton out that left the Reds a man short in the bullpen (two men short if you count the horrible Majewski). As a result Baker had to stretch those available-get an extra batter out of Bray and an extra inning out of Weathers. Under the circumstances, he didn't have a lot of options. Man, I hate second guessers.
    No. Cordero was in the bullpen and available. No reason for Weathers to pitch to a single batter in the ninth. He didn't need to use Bray in that situation at all or try to get an extra batter out of him because as we saw, Mike Lincoln was available. Try again.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Let me try to explain it to you- with Burton out that left the Reds a man short in the bullpen (two men short if you count the horrible Majewski). As a result Baker had to stretch those available-get an extra batter out of Bray and an extra inning out of Weathers. Under the circumstances, he didn't have a lot of options. Man, I hate second guessers.
    Hardly second guessing. I assumed Cordero would pitch the 9th. I would think most assumed the same. Cordero didn't even pitch last night. Perfect save/win situation. Thats why the Reds pay Cordero that kind of money. For those types of situations.

    Then I see Weathers coming out for the 9th. And again, I was just baffled. Stunned. Pretty far from second guessing. :thumbdown

    I don't even know what else to say after seeing that. Baffling. Wow.

  9. #8
    Member keeganbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Let me try to explain it to you- with Burton out that left the Reds a man short in the bullpen (two men short if you count the horrible Majewski). As a result Baker had to stretch those available-get an extra batter out of Bray and an extra inning out of Weathers. Under the circumstances, he didn't have a lot of options. Man, I hate second guessers.
    I dont really agree with this. Affeldt had 3 days off before pitching an easy 9th inning last night and could easily give you 2 innings once you use Cordero. It's most lkely not going that far anyways considering that was already the 9th inning.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    62

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Let me try to explain it to you- with Burton out that left the Reds a man short in the bullpen (two men short if you count the horrible Majewski). As a result Baker had to stretch those available-get an extra batter out of Bray and an extra inning out of Weathers. Under the circumstances, he didn't have a lot of options. Man, I hate second guessers.
    Hasn't Weathers been stretched already over the past few days?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Then I see Weathers coming out for the 9th. And again, I was just baffled. Stunned. Pretty far from second guessing. :thumbdown

    .
    Well the next time you're "baffled" and "stunned", why don't you post your feelings BEFORE the fact. Just because this is the Reds Board doesn't mean people should be free to redboard.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Yeah, next time you're watching a game and Dusty does something stupid, get on the computer and tell everyone about it. Of course, you'll never get to watch much of the game because there are so many mistakes, but at least we'll all know that you aren't second guessing this great manager. You simply must point out his obvious mistakes as he makes them, and not wait until after the game to share. How dare you.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

    ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    62

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Yeah, next time you're watching a game and Dusty does something stupid, get on the computer and tell everyone about it. Of course, you'll never get to watch much of the game because there are so many mistakes, but at least we'll all know that you aren't second guessing this great manager. You simply must point out his obvious mistakes as he makes them, and not wait until after the game to share. How dare you.
    I can't type that fast!

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Well the next time you're "baffled" and "stunned", why don't you post your feelings BEFORE the fact. Just because this is the Reds Board doesn't mean people should be free to redboard.

    I would have. But I was frozen. Stunned. Baffled. Then before I could react, the quick base hit. Then the sinking feeling. "Maybe Dusty will pull Weathers now, before it is too late," I thought. Nope. Uh oh, bases loaded. What, NOW he brings Cordero in?! Sigh, lets just get this over with. Base hit. Game over.

    Baffled. And I considered it for a second too... "Am I being too hard on Dusty?"

    Nope. Not in this case. :thumbdown

  15. #14
    You're Welcome
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Mythological Land of Dayton, OH
    Posts
    412

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    I think "one man short in the pen" is probably your answer, whether you personally like it or not... the "use your closer in a tie game" gambit feels like it's a better one to use at home than on the road in any case, and here, that sense is amplified by the fact that our bullpen options are more limited than usual. Short of actually putting one across in the 10th and holding on after Cordero was already spent, this could easily have spiraled into another San Diego Debacle, and then you'd still all be complaining (just about the opposite thing).

    Plus, Weathers was staying in to face the bottom of the Brewers line-up (regardless of any superstitious notion you have of Bill Hall as a Reds Slayer, he's also, in factuality, a .234 hitter on the year and was backed up by a .231 hitter and a .258 hitter).

    It was a roll of the dice. It failed to work out. Deep breath. Exhale. Now don't sweat it again until Thursday...

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,526

    Re: No Cordero to start the 9th?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    I think "one man short in the pen" is probably your answer, whether you personally like it or not... the "use your closer in a tie game" gambit feels like it's a better one to use at home than on the road in any case, and here, that sense is amplified by the fact that our bullpen options are more limited than usual. Short of actually putting one across in the 10th and holding on after Cordero was already spent, this could easily have spiraled into another San Diego Debacle, and then you'd still all be complaining (just about the opposite thing).

    Plus, Weathers was staying in to face the bottom of the Brewers line-up (regardless of any superstitious notion you have of Bill Hall as a Reds Slayer, he's also, in factuality, a .234 hitter on the year and was backed up by a .231 hitter and a .258 hitter).

    It was a roll of the dice. It failed to work out. Deep breath. Exhale. Now don't sweat it again until Thursday...
    I'm sorry but you're not allowed to use logic and reason here. And certainly you should not be allowed to support your argument with facts.

    It's all Baker's fault. I mean he could only take 2 out of 3 against one of the best teams in baseball on the road. With his top starter and his best setup man unavailable. And when his hotest hitter gets hurt, he loses to the defending Cy Young winner. What a bum.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25