Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus: Insiders believe Reds could be dark-horse candidate for Sabathia

Baseball Prospectus: Insiders believe Reds could be dark-horse candidate for Sabathia

Reds owner Bob Castellini likes to make a splash, as evidenced by his hiring of Dusty Baker as manager and Walt Jocketty as GM, and some insiders believe Cincinnati will be a dark-horse bidder for Sabathia when he becomes a free agent in November

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7794

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Prospectus: Insiders believe Reds could be dark-horse candidate for Saba

If the Reds add Sabathia this offseason, I think we'll have the best rotation in baseball.

Of course, to be able to afford him we'd almost certainly have to let Dunn walk. How we'd then be able to score is anybody's guess.

Re: Baseball Prospectus: Insiders believe Reds could be dark-horse candidate for Saba

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    If the Reds add Sabathia this offseason, I think we'll have the best rotation in baseball.

Of course, to be able to afford him we'd almost certainly have to let Dunn walk. How we'd then be able to score is anybody's guess.
    CC could play LF and bat fourth when he's not pitching!

I would love to have Sabathia, even at the expense of Dunn. With Dunn and Griffey's contracts coming off the books, and possibly Arroyo too if traded, the Reds could have the money available to sign him, and Castellini has shown he willing to spend money.

It's wishful thinking at this point but Sabathia in the Reds rotation would be incredible.

CC Sabathia
    Edinson Volquez
    Aaron Harang
    Johnny Cueto
    Homer Bailey/Daryl Thompson

If you could sign him, there could be some young arms movable for a bat.

Makes a lot of sense all around.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Do it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

If it takes a deal of six or seven years at $20-plus million a year, I think I'd rather see the Reds pass.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

It would be nice to have CC, but I imagine we'll be outbid. And Dunn would be allowed to walk. Griffey wouldn't be picked up. Sabathia would have to throw a shutout every game in order for us to win.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

FWIW I think there is about a 5% chance of this happening but it's nice to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    FWIW I think there is about a 5% chance of this happening but it's nice to dream.
    LOL, yes. I agree.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

shelling out 100M+ on a pitcher is beyond high risk for a small market club. Look at where the Twins are after Santana

I believe Santana's contract is $150 million over seven years. I doubt Sabathia settles for any less.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    shelling out 100M+ on a pitcher is beyond high risk for a small market club. Look at where the Twins are after Santana
    Yep. Especially on a pitcher whose numbers are declining. Don't get me wrong, he's still a stud. But I do think his best years are behind him. The Reds have enough solid starters to be able to succeed with less than another #1 brought in. Especially if it costs what most of us thinks it WILL cost. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I believe Santana's contract is $150 million over seven years. I doubt Sabathia settles for any less.
    Make that six years at $138 million.

Seems impossible unless we can unload Arroyo's ridiculous contract so we should look for that as a first move.

Turn Off Ads?