Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone own a scooter?

Anyone own a scooter?

I've been debating on buying a scooter to have for running errands in town and maybe for going back and forth to work a few days a week. Honestly, I've never been on one before, so I'm not even sure if I would like it or for that matter, feel safe enough on it to actually go on the road with it.

Do any of you own a scooter and if so, what's the top speed you have had it at and do you actually feel safe on it. My main concern is not my driving ability, but rather, others being able to see me and more importantly, actually acknowledging that I'm on the road.

A real motorcycle is not an option. I just started checking out Vespa's, if that gives you any idea of what I'm looking into.

Other than safety, what kind of mileage are you getting and what about reliability? Any repair issues?

Beginning stages here. Just looking for input. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone own a scooter?

Same here. I think if you get one that goes about 35, you don't need to get licenses plates, etc. for it. I can't remember the actual motor size or power that you can't exceed....

I just don't want to look goofy. Not sure I've seen someone on a moped not look goofy Crazy good gas mileage though.

[QUOTE=TeamSelig;1693305]Same here. I think if you get one that goes about 35, you don't need to get licenses plates, etc. for it. I can't remember the actual motor size or power that you can't exceed....[QUOTE]

Generally anything under a 50 cc engine will be considered a moped in most states. This will allow you to avoid a motorcycle license as well.

I have had my eye on th Yamaha C3 for about a year, but haven't been able to pull the trigger.
    From what I have read, you get what you pay for. Cheap Chinese scooters, under $1000, can be impossible to find parts for and may not last very long at all.

You can find used ones fairly cheap I think. If you take care of it, I doubt you will have a ton of problems. Not familiar with the Yamaha's though.

Ran into some fellas who were driving Vespa's. They told me their top speed was 80 miles an hour. No clutch or gears to mess with, just hit the throttle. Interesting little bikes, but I will stick with my Harleys.

yep, I'm getting one at somepoint.

But I weigh 260, so I have to get a sturdier bike - probably a 250cc.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I was actually talking with my dad earlier today about looking into a scooter or cheap motorcycle to try to take the edge off these gas prices. I'm definitely starting to get serious about the idea now.

I have a scooter that I bought a few months ago. I love it. I ride it everyday. It gets up to about 70. It is a 150 cc and it cost around $1400 new.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Segway anyone? (As long as you don't mind looking kind of silly)

There's a great joke about scooters.

The punch line is "they're both fun to ride...until your friends find out about it."

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

After seeing my Father, Uncle, Brother-in-Law and best friend in the hospital after motorcycle crashes (no other cars were involved in all but one of them), I'd tell you if you like the way your body works currently- all limbs move cleanly, no road rash scars, you can remember where you put your car keys- I'd say suck it up and drive a car. There are other places in life to save money than to risk being roadkill over $50 a month.

Ask anyone who rides and they will tell you, it isn't if you will put it down, it's when. And forget about other drivers of cars even seeing you because they don't. And you have to check the weather report every day becuase if it rains and you're on it, it's like being pelted with a BB gun.

I rode for two Summers- in the country, even- and after a close call every week, I gave it up. I like my brain the way it currently functions.

If you want to be safe- if there is such a thing- you have to ride scared all the time and assume nobody sees you.

Real fun.

I passed a scooter by last night at 11:30pm driving home from my softball game. It was obviously dark with little traffic being that late on a Sunday night, and to be completely honest I barely saw the guy. In fact, my first reaction when I saw him was "what in the world is that?!" Both his headlight and tail light were rather dim too which certainly didn't help.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    After seeing my Father, Uncle, Brother-in-Law and best friend in the hospital after motorcycle crashes (no other cars were involved in all but one of them), I'd tell you if you like the way your body works currently- all limbs move cleanly, no road rash scars, you can remember where you put your car keys- I'd say suck it up and drive a car. There are other places in life to save money than to risk being roadkill over $50 a month.

Ask anyone who rides and they will tell you, it isn't if you will put it down, it's when. And forget about other drivers of cars even seeing you because they don't. And you have to check the weather report every day becuase if it rains and you're on it, it's like being pelted with a BB gun.

I rode for two Summers- in the country, even- and after a close call every week, I gave it up. I like my brain the way it currently functions.

If you want to be safe- if there is such a thing- you have to ride scared all the time and assume nobody sees you.

Real fun.
    Try $80 a week. I make sure to drive the back roads too.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It's all relative. I spend nearly $500-600 a week in fuel. Sometimes more if I do a lot of miles.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Do you get to pass that operating cost on or do you have to absorb it as operating cost?
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Turn Off Ads?