Hairston: .894
    Encarnacion: .823
    Votto: .814
    Ross: .806
    Phillips: .798
    Bruce: .765
    Griffey: .748
    Keppinger: .741

Keppinger, Griffey, Dunn is the Reds 2-3-4 in the order when they all play and Dunn, Encarnacion, Votto hit 5-6-7. Does anybody else see an issue with that?

I also love how Brandon Phillips is supposedly an all-star snub and everybody keeps looking for ways to replace Encarnacion.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lineup Construction

Everyone was infatuated with Keppinger until he got hurt. He was the cherry on top of the Krivsky sundae. Now the flavor of the month is Hairston. Ain't gonna last.

Ross' OPS was .701 just one week ago. I bet it will end up closer to that number than his current number.

So what am I saying? I am saying that the team just isn't very good. You can configure the lineup any which way you'd like...it isn't going make much of a difference, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Everyone was infatuated with Keppinger until he got hurt. He was the cherry on top of the Krivsky sundae. Now the flavor of the month is Hairston. Ain't gonna last.

Ross' OPS was .701 just one week ago. I bet it will end up closer to that number than his current number.

So what am I saying? I am saying that the team just isn't very good. You can configure the lineup any which way you'd like...it isn't going make much of a difference, IMO.
    I have no problem with Ross hitting 8th or thinking Hairston will go down the crapper eventually.

The problem is continuing to hit Keppinger/Griffey/Phillips ahead of Dunn/Edwin/Votto
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have no problem with Ross hitting 8th or thinking Hairston will go down the crapper eventually.

The problem is continuing to hit Keppinger/Griffey/Phillips ahead of Dunn/Edwin/Votto
    I disagree on Keppinger. The stats listed above are OPS, which is fine for overall evaluation.

I think OBP is better to look at for the #1 and #2 hitters though. There, we see that Keppinger is fine: .353. And that is after several cold weeks coming back off an injury. Keppinger also makes contact: he has struck a total of 8 times all season.

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I disagree on Keppinger. The stats listed above are OPS, which is fine for overall evaluation.

I think OBP is better to look at for the #1 and #2 hitters though. There, we see that Keppinger is fine: .353. And that is after several cold weeks coming back off an injury. Keppinger also makes contact: he has struck a total of 8 times all season.
    That I agree with.

I'd like to see Kepp given a shot at lead off.

Then put Dunn in the #2 hole.

But until Griffey vacates that #3 spot, this offense will continue to sputter.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'd like to see Kepp given a shot at lead off.

Then put Dunn in the #2 hole.

But until Griffey vacates that #3 spot, this offense will continue to sputter.
    I'm not sure if I blame Dusty 100% for the Jr / #3 slot bonanza. I would blame management in its entirety. It has been the same thing over and over...both with CF and with the lineup spot for the past few years.

This is how I have it in OOTP9:

Bruce, CF
    Votto, 1B
    Phillips, 2B
    Dunn, LF
    Encarnacion, 3B
    Griffey, RF
    Keppinger / Hariston, SS
    Ross, C

That's simply how I would have things. :o
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not sure if I blame Dusty 100% for the Jr / #3 slot bonanza. I would blame management in its entirety.
    I blame him completely. He's the manager. I doubt this FO is dictating to Baker where his player's bat, or how his lineup is constructed. Knowing Baker, he wouldn't allow it. It seems he has more influence on this FO then visa versa.

But he has had no problem, throughout the course of this season, of moving guys all around in this batting order, and around Jr, cemented in that #3 spot, to try and shake up this offense.

Yet he denies the obvious. And when he was addressed on this issue earlier in the year, his reasoning was he does so out of respect for Jr.

That's totally Baker's decision. And that's fine because there is no sense beating our heads against the wall over it since we know it's not going to change.

But that is why I state.... Until Jr vacates that #3 spot, which won't happen till he leaves at season's end, this offense will continue to sputter.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I also love how Brandon Phillips is supposedly an all-star snub and everybody keeps looking for ways to replace Encarnacion.
    I agree that Encarnacion gets a bad rap around here and is actually much better than he normally gets credit for. However, your evaluation of Phillips is off. While he may only be an .800 OPS guy, he also makes a lot of things happen that aren't included in the OPS stat- namely, he is great defensively and a menace on the basepaths. While OPS is a good stat to evaluate offensive production, it is not the only stat to evaluate a player, and that includes his All-Star credentials.
    Go BLUE!!!

Phillips is really 4th fiddle behind Utley, Hudson, and this season Uggla....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

any lineup without patterson is pretty much welcome at this point.

The Griffey thing is a huge problem, Dusty not knowing what a leadoff hitter is supposed to be is another problem.

Edit: Crap I came back! lol
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

Team Leaders in OPS
    Dunn: .918
    Hairston: .894
    Encarnacion: .823
    Votto: .814
    Ross: .806
    Phillips: .798
    Bruce: .765
    Griffey: .748
    Keppinger: .741

Keppinger, Griffey, Dunn is the Reds 2-3-4 in the order when they all play and Dunn, Encarnacion, Votto hit 5-6-7. Does anybody else see an issue with that?

Dunn and Phillips lead the team in EBH's with 38. Edwin has 35 and many fans say he continues to struggle and may need to be sent down.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Phillips is really 4th fiddle behind Utley, Hudson, and this season Uggla....
    I'd take Phillips over Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd take Phillips over Hudson.
    Were Hudson a Red and Phillips a D-back, you'd be arguing that Hudson is the superior player.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?