Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jorge Cantu raking

Jorge Cantu raking

Certainly can't fault the Reds for letting him go, as there wasn't really a place for him, but this guy is really hitting well this season for the Marlins.

He's 26 years old, and the down side is that he's a terrible defensive player over at third, but he's got 18 homers, 56 RBI's and his line runs 286/333/495 and 828 OPS.

He his 28 HR's and had over 110 RBI's back in 2005, so obviously he's shown this kind of potential before.

I'm curious what the Marlins do with Cantu with Dallas McPherson tearing the cover off the ball in Albuquerque this season. I wonder if they will trade the oft-injured Mike Jacobs, move Cantu to 1B and bring up McPherson next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jorge Cantu raking

Florida has another guy to keep an eye on with Dan Uggla getting closer to arbitration and asking for alot money.The guy name is Chris Coghlan at 2nd base in Double A Carolina and was named to Baseball America all star team selection. I would happy to see the reds get him in any deals with Florida involving either Affeldt (royals almost trade him there 2 years ago) and either Weathers or Ross.

I doubt they'd move Jacobs to play McPherson or Cantu.

Though, I disagree, I think there was clearly a place for Cantu on this team last off-season. He offered significantly more upside than a much older Hatteberg, on a team stacked with left-handers already, at that. He was never going to start here, but our bench definitely wasn't looking strong at the time either.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I doubt they'd move Jacobs to play McPherson or Cantu.

Though, I disagree, I think there was clearly a place for Cantu on this team last off-season. He offered significantly more upside than a much older Hatteberg, on a team stacked with left-handers already, at that. He was never going to start here, but our bench definitely wasn't looking strong at the time either.
    McPherson is arguably the most productive player in the entire minor leagues right now and scouts are raving about him. I think he's to the point the Marlins are anxious to get him up there, but being in a pennant race and having a productive 1B and 3B, there's no reason to rush him back up.

I mean geez, that guy is batting .300, 32 homers, 70 RBI's, a .406 OBP, .689 SLG and 1.095 OPS. Though it is the Pacific League, that's absolutely insane lol

But yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Would they move Jacobs to get him up there in a spot? Maybe not. But Jacobs is eligible for arbitration after this season, if I remember correctly. I believe he's approaching 3 years of service time now, and is doing well enough to get a significant raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    McPherson is arguably the most productive player in the entire minor leagues right now and scouts are raving about him. I think he's to the point the Marlins are anxious to get him up there, but being in a pennant race and having a productive 1B and 3B, there's no reason to rush him back up.

I mean geez, that guy is batting .300, 32 homers, 70 RBI's, a .406 OBP, .689 SLG and 1.095 OPS. Though it is the Pacific League, that's absolutely insane lol

But yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Would they move Jacobs to get him up there in a spot? Maybe not. But Jacobs is eligible for arbitration after this season, if I remember correctly. I believe he's approaching 3 years of service time now, and is doing well enough to get a significant raise.
    Oh wow, I wasn't aware of McPherson's numbers so far. I guess he went all Brandon Phillips on the Marlins (he was signed as a minor league free agent, wasn't he?)

If McPherson can finally be productive at the MLB level, I guess they would move somebody. I just didn't think that was very likely. But hey, the guy used to be a top prospect for a reason, I guess.

cantu shouldn't have been released.. a right handed bat off the bench.. yet we keep 3 catchers..

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    cantu shouldn't have been released.. a right handed bat off the bench.. yet we keep 3 catchers..
    Ross started the season on the DL, but I didn't understand having TWO Lefty First Basemen on the team to start the year, THAT was illogical.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?