Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Packer out at CBS

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Billy Packer out at CBS

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'm a strong believer that about 0.001% of national announcers have any true "bias," and that 99.999% of those who allege it are paranoid.

I'm neutral on Packer, but I don't think he, Vitale, or any of the talking heads people complain about are "biased."
    Packer sure sounded biased in the last NC...

Not saying it had anything to do with him no longer being employed by CBS, but he was definitely calling a 1-sided game in the 1st half, and then sounded shocked it became a close game in the 2nd half...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Packer hated everyone equally. By the end of his run, I think he hated what College Hoops had become. He hated the slick coaches, hated the one and done guys, and hated the tattoos. Somehow, he took one of the most fun and exciting sporting events and turned it into a miserable experience.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'm a strong believer that about 0.001% of national announcers have any true "bias," and that 99.999% of those who allege it are paranoid.

I'm neutral on Packer, but I don't think he, Vitale, or any of the talking heads people complain about are "biased."
    A list of things that Vitale commented on while he was supposed to be broadcasting the Louisville-UConn game back in 2007.

Duke

Mike Krzyzewski

Duke (1986)

Kansas

Tennessee

Bruce Pearl

Chris Lofton

Tennessee (Women's)

Kentucky

Tubby Smith

Kentucky (1996)

Kentucky (1997)

Kentucky (1998)

Pittsburgh

Marquette

St. John's

Syracuse

Providence

New Mexico State

Reggie Theus

Nevada

N.C. State (Women's)

Kay Yow

Boston University

Indianapolis Colts

Peyton Manning

Louisville football team

New York Yankees

Villanova

Maria Sharapova

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas Tech

Indiana

Texas A&M

LSU

Depaul

Dobbins High School

Brian Brohm

Joe B. Hall

Jay Bilas

Sean Williams

Al Skinner

Marlon Garcia

Frank Sinatra

Illinois

Lou Carnesecca

Kevin Durant

Greg Oden

Alando Tucker
    Aaron Brooks

Curry Kirkpatrick

Arizona

UCLA

His grandson Hunter

His grandson Jake

Tony Dungy

Joe Torre

Derek Jeter

Arizona (1997)

Bill Parcells

Brent Musberger

Steve Lavin

Eric Morgan

DJ White

Kelvin Sampson

Ohio State

Rece Davis

Tom Brady

Mike Anthony

Norby Williamson

Bo Derek

Tom Crean

Mario Boggan

Jameson Curry

North Carolina

Howie Schwab

Eva Longoria

Rosie O'Donnell

Donald Trump

Jim Boeheim

Bob Wright

Dan Marino

Jeff Jacobs

John Saunders

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Erin Andrews

Bruce Weber

Rick Bozich

Wisconsin

Bo Ryan

Kammron Taylor

Florida

Georgetown

Chris Dodd

Digger Phelps

Mike Tranghese

Tony Bennett

Dave Gavitt

Danny Gavitt

Andrew Bynum

Sebastian Telfair

Amir Johnson

Scottie Reynolds

Uconn (women's)

John Vitale

Christopher Vitale

Justin Hawkins

Utah

Vernon Rule

Jim Valvano

Dee Rose

Walt Trumble

Jamal Mashburn

Pennsylvania

Detroit Pistons

Larry Bird

Magic Johnson

J.R. Giddens

Billy Gillespie

Acie Law

Nate Carter

South Florida

Robert McCallum

Chicago Bears

Lovie Smith

Mike & Mike

Dallas Cowboys

Tom Izzo

Dominic James

Paul Harris

Billy Donovan

Larry Brown

Lute Olson

Eddie Sutton

Gene Bartow

Al McGuire

Hugh Durham

Roy Williams

Frank Gardner

Ron Franklin

Fran Fraschilla

Tommy Amaker

Johnny Dawkins

Danny Ferry

Billy King

Mark Alarie

Awesome Baby (race horse)

Tim Welsh

Geoff McDermott

Herbert Hill

Georgia Tech

Thaddeus Young

Javaris Crittenton

South Carolina

Dave Odom
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

the only thing Vitale is biased towards is attention and winning. Whoever is winning, that is who he is for. That's the way it is with the entire media in every sport. Everyone loves a winner and Vitale is not any different.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Upon thinking about it, I'd tend to agree; but I'd also tend to point out that this is a highly semantic argument.

"Bias" is done willfully, on purpose, with self-awareness; a lot of what the national sports pundits do is a bit more innocent. It's not "bias," but it is certainly "predisposition" and it's done cluelessly, and in many cases, with at least a tinge of ignorance. Perhaps not ignorance of the X's and O's of basketball (for an armchair jockey such as myself to suggest that would be foolish), but an ignorance of evolving trends, of one's place in the grand scheme of things, and of how stupid one looks when one becomes a caricature of oneself or dedicates one's existence to being a "personality" rather than an expert in one's field.

I'll never accuse Packer of dipping to McCarver-esque levels, but the joy I feel at his dismissal is very real, and stems from the bias/predisposition-to-ignorance he showed a few years ago when St. Joe's got a #1 seed. God, what I would give to have Packer's too-long career eulogized by Phil Martelli....

I never though bias was Packer's problem. It was more that he was a total jackass on the air.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I saw this in an article sounds like Packer is done broadcasting on any network. Don't expect him to change networks he is quitting doing Raycom games too.

Packer also will end his long run as an analyst for Raycom, a regional network that covers the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"I have had a chance to broadcast most of the great games since college basketball got on national television and I'm not interested in broadcasting any more games," he said. "I enjoyed doing that but I won't be any more."

He said he is involved in a college basketball project that he'll discuss in a few months.

JMO, but I think Nance does an excellent job on the NCAA Tourney broadcasts.

Where's the love? It is not like he is to blame for "One Shining Moment"

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I never though bias was Packer's problem. It was more that he was a total jackass on the air.
    Exactamundo.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was about to post this too. He long outlived his welcome. He became what seemed like tired old grouchy man. Not to mention his obvious bias towards the ACC. He was part of the best announcing team college basketball has had. He teamed along with Dick Enberg and Al McGuire for a few seasons while at NBC. I always laughed when McGuire would scold Packer for well......being Packer.
    My thoughts exactly. I thought he was good with Enberg and McGuire on NBC.

But that was long ago. He needed to go many years back. Somewhere along the line, he grew way too curmudgeonly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

As long as I don't have to hear him or another announcer say "Strenth" during a game, the world will be a better, less cliche place.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    JMO, but I think Nance does an excellent job on the NCAA Tourney broadcasts.

Where's the love? It is not like he is to blame for "One Shining Moment"
    Nantz broadcasts sound like a "Chicken Soup for the Basketball Soul". He is built for Golf and nothing else.

I am elated that Packer got fired. I hate that moronic fool. He ruined many a great game of basketball.

He is a clueless person convinced he knows everything. Good riddance Billy Packer!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Nantz broadcasts sound like a "Chicken Soup for the Basketball Soul". He is built for Golf and nothing else.
    I totally agree. Golf or a studio host but not college basketball. Lundquist,IMO,is the best PBP guy CBS has for college basketball.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I totally agree. Golf or a studio host but not college basketball. Lundquist,IMO,is the best PBP guy CBS has for college basketball.
    I'm a Raftery guy. He has the right amount of enthusiasm for the game, the right amount of perspective, and you can tell that the guy really loves his job. WWWWWWWWWith a Kiss.

Turn Off Ads?