Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dusty's dumbest move...

Re: Dusty's dumbest move...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    And that's too bad, because with the three-day All-Star break looming on the horizon, there is actually precedent for using some of the starting pitchers in relief for an inning or two on the day before the break, if necessary. Cueto hadn't pitched since Wednesday, and Arroyo hadn't pitched since his five innings on Thursday. Both could have been available to give an inning in the pen in an emergency, if needed. I'm not saying that they should have been the first options, but with Burton unavailable, they could have provided insurance in case of another extra-inning game.

According to the Brewers announcers Dusty had Arroyo warming in the bullpen late in the game yesterday. Don't know if that means Arroyo was a serious candidate to get in the game. Doubt Dusty would experiment with Cueto in that spot, not after the San Diego debacle in late May.

Presumably, Affeldt and Majewski were available yesterday, as was Cordero. Anyone of the three was preferable there to another inning of Weathers after three straight appearances. Both Affeldt and Majewski can pitch two inning stretches, if the game went on that long.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-14-2008 at 02:53 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    According to the Brewers announcers Dusty had Arroyo warming in the bullpen late in the game yesterday. Don't know if that means Arroyo was a serious candidate to get in the game. Doubt Dusty would experiment with Cueto in that spot, not after the San Diego debacle in late May.

Presumably, Affeldt and Majewski were available yesterday, as was Cordero. Anyone of the three was preferable there to another innings of Weathers after three straight appearances.
    I don't think it would really be an experiment, though. Pitching one or two innings on three days rest shouldn't be any more taxing than making a regular start on four days rest. It doesn't really matter, though, because it didn't happen.

I agree that Arroyo would probably have been the first choice to be an emergency reliever--he has done it before, and he has said he likes pitching on short rest.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    But is there worse managing than allowing a player to stay in who literally cannot swing the bat?
    It was one AB in one game.

I'm not going to get too worked up.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It was one AB in one game.

I'm not going to get too worked up.
    I am because it shows the complete incompetence that our manager has.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am because it shows the complete incompetence that our manager has.
    No manager makes all the right moves. Not Sparky. Not Torre. Certainly not Dusty.

There's been a lot to like about what Dusty Baker has done with the Cincinnati Reds. How about giving the man a little bit of Dap for what he's done with the young pitchers and protecting their arms:

Code:
    Edinson Volquez: 102.3 PPS (pitches per start)
    Johnny Cueto:     98.1 PPS
    Homer Bailey:     81.3 PPS
    That's exactly what I (and many others) worried about going into the season, and Baker has handled the young staff perfectly. They stuck withs to find a bullpen Cueto after a rocky patch and he has his ERA back down to 4.67 and improving with just about every start, all while keeping his pitch count under the 100 mark average.

And while we're on the subject of pitching, how about a little more Dap for correctly managing a bullpen that many thought was going to be the achilles heel of this ballclub. There are SIX members of the active bullpen staff with ERAs under 4:

Code:
    Jared Burton:      2.23 ERA
    Francisco Cordero: 2.30 ERA
    Bill Bray:         2.86 ERA
    David Weathers:    3.69 ERA
    Mike Lincoln:      3.89 ERA
    Jeremy Affeldt:    3.91 ERA
    That's pushing every button correctly to get the most out of your guys.

On the positional side of things, he sticking with Jay Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion when other managers would've benched one or both of them for other players. He's directly responsible (by all accounts) for Jerry Hairston being on this team, and he's getting a career year out of him at multiple different positions. He made the early decision to go with Votto full time over Scott Hatteberg when many, myself included, thought Votto was going to be sent to the bus leagues after his awful spring.

Baker can be infuriating at times, but that's the nature of managers and baseball. If you look at his season objectively, he's done a lot more good than he has bad, IMO. The team's two best pitchers have played like turds, and the team is still only a handful of games under the .500 mark. That's solid stuff, IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Caveat, you are a great poster, but using ERA numbers for the bullpen to prove a point is a little out there.

BTW, Arroyo was in the pen for much, if not all, of the game on Sunday.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Yeah, I gotta shake my head about that one. You don't let Homer swing the bat with one out and runners on first and third because Hairston on deck is hurt and can't do anything but bunt. You bunt Homer and pinch-hit for Jerry. Or maybe a bunt-and-run with Patterson at 1B. It's not like Bailey is Sabathia or Zambrano (or even Arroyo), and can handle the bat with some degree of aplomb. His name is Homer--he doesn't hit them.
    With Runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out, you have your pitcher hit away. No problemo. With Runners on 1st and 2nd with one out, he needs to bunt- especially if he's nothing resembling a prolific hitting pitcher. You're absolutely correct.

Baker's CYA maneuver is classic "entitlement" behavior and rife with illogical framework. He simply doesn't think anyone will call him on his explanation being entirely implausible. Because he's Dusty Baker, dammit!

So, moving along, Baker outlines a scenario in which the following hitter, who can't swing the bat (Hairston), needs a pitcher to either get a hit or walk to move one of the two runners into "squeeze" position. That's unlikely enough. However, should the pitcher make an out to advance both runners, then we're presented with a scenario that can't possibly happen (a squeeze) because we'll now have two outs in the Inning. With two outs, a squeeze play is impossible, as everyone but Dusty Baker knows.

Bailey actually attempts to bunt the first pitch and bunts it foul. He then walks down to the 3B coach to get the sign explained to him. Either there was no bunt on (I didn't see Bailey look back for a sign before the first pitch) or the plan changed after the foul bunt attempt. I'm going with the former explanation based on Baker's "plan" and how far the 3B coach went down the line to get Bailey's attention after he entered the batter's box for that second pitch.

Let's hit away! And Bailey did a great job of nudging the ball into play quickly enough that the Brew Crew could turn double-duty. And this was after the Baker chose to let the pitcher hit because he identified that Hairston couldn't. Yet Baker didn't prefer to let a healthy batter take that singular AB with runners potentially on 2nd and 3rd w/2 Out had Bailey been able to successfully sacrifice. There was little chance of Bailey doing anything to advance a runner to 3B with less than 2 Outs, so Baker was banking on Bailey to plate a run right there.

Folks, when you're more confident in your Pitcher's ability to get a base hit than you are your leadoff hitter, then the latter hitter needs to be removed from the game in favor of a healty option regardless of his "handedness". This was clear and decisive stupidity from Baker and it led to a player who could no longer perform being sent up to lead off the next inning to do nothing but attempt to bunt for a base hit and said hitter tweaked his hammy on the play. Baker limited Hairston to one tool (his legs) and, while unfortunate, it's not completely surprising that a player who's pulled up lame within the past week while running to 1B ended up injured.

Baker's explanation for the Bailey/Hairston scenario was implausible enough. In fact, it was nearly impossible. But to allow an already-injured player to continue in a game and then take a PA is completely derelict. The rest of his moves in that game? Silly, but that's his standard.

The irony is that considering the number of dumb things Baker has done, I'm not at all surprised that he'd attempt to defend more indefensible decisions. He played with Hank Aaron, after all. Challenge Baker and he'll say something stupid pretty much every time. Heck, he'll do that even if he isn't challenged. The guy is likely the worst Manager in the game and we're stuck with him because he's a "name" guy. I'm more than starting to think that Castellini is way out of his depth.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?