Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most underrated player in your lifetime?

Re: Most underrated player in your lifetime?

Vada Pinson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brett Butler...the best lead off hitter ever?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Todd "Money" Walker.

During his career all he did was make plays. He didnt do anything spectacularly but he did everything well. Even fielding he was very underrated imo. Didnt make any really bad plays. Everytime he come up to bat as a red you could feel he have something special brewing.

Theres my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Rafael Palmeiro

Brandon Phillips
    He was the centerpiece of the trade that nabbed Cleveland's Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee, then they give up on him after giving him just 31 at bats in 2004 and 2005, then traded for a player to be named later. Since then he has been over looked big time in Cincy as a gold glover and an All Star while being a wizzard at 2B and about to go 30-30 for the second year in a row. No love for BP!!!

Hard to argue with that one walk-off. The quiet guys really do get overlooked.

Dale Murphy dominated his league for 10 years and never took any steroids. The last half of his career was loaded with players that were taking steroids, so his career homerun totals are scewed compared to them. 400 homeruns means something in the non-steroids world. He also played on some absolutely horrible teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Here's a fun topic to pass away the All-Star week... name your choice for most underrated player in your life span.

I'm 28 years old, so for me, I think I'm going to go with Edgar Martinez.

Often overshadowed by Ken Griffey Jr., Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson and even Jay Buhner or Tino Martinez, Edgar could flat out hit.

For 7 straight seasons (1993-2000), Martinez hit at least 20 home runs. Fifteen times in his career he broke double-digits. Six times he drove in 100 runs or more. Ten (10) times he hit at least .300 and his career OPS+ was 47 percent over league average.

Career averages:

.312 Batting Average
    302 Home Runs
    1283 RBI's
    .418 OBP
    .515 SLG
    .933 OPS
    1,283 walks to 1,202 strikeouts

I really think Martinez was the most underrated hitter in the 1990's, but because of his infamous teammates, never really got the credit he deserved.
    Edgar Martinez is the greatest "thinker" at the plate I've ever seen.

Here's a stat that shows you how great he was: He's the only Right-Hander in the American League to have won 2 batting titles since Joe Dimaggio. Few people realize these two facts, but the Mariners kept him in AAA for too many seasons as he dominated in Tacoma wasting away precious key years. Also, when he first came up, he played defensively 3rd Base identically to Ron Cey, but with a bit more range. For those of you who have seen Ron Cey play 3rd Base well, you know what I'm talking about. Then Edgar had some nasty injuries, and that was it for him defensively. It's amazing he was still able to hit so well.

Harang, hands down no questions about it is the most under-rated Reds player in my lifetime.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Guys that are in the HOF are not underrated. How can HOF players be underrated when they have received the highest honor?

Guys like Larkin, Maddux, and Smoltz are likely going in as well and should be removed from consideration.

Yeah with Larkin I wouldn't call a guy with 12 All-star selections, 9 Silver Slugger awards, 3 Gold Gloves, and an NL MVP award as "under-rated".
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    Yeah with Larkin I wouldn't call a guy with 12 All-star selections, 9 Silver Slugger awards, 3 Gold Gloves, and an NL MVP award as "under-rated".
    well compared 2 the other shortstops that played while he did he was

Bert Blyleven
    22 year career ERA of 3.90
    287 Wins
    3701 Strikeouts

and no HOF

Barry Larkin and Scott Sullivan.

I honestly have seen nothing like the lack of respect that is given to Brandon Phillips. Beyond being robbed of a gold glove, BP didnt even finish in the top 8 of all star voting this past year. That is nothing short of a disgrace. Utter lack of recognition for, in my opinion, one of the best middle infielders in the game.

You wonder why Brandon Phillips gets no respect?

Look no further than the Cincinnati REDS' own website.

The 1st Half MVP was given to Hairston, a guy who hasn't even played in half of the team's games and who plays sub-par Defense at SS and CF, the two position's he's played "part-time" this year, and he's back on the DL again.

All Phillips did for the team so far this year is begin by signing in Mid-February a 4-year contract that is probably less than market-value.

Then he plays Gold Glove defense while not committing an error since Jerry Hairston, Sr. was playing baseball, or so it seems. He's gotten to a 100 balls (and made the plays) that Hairston, Jr would only be able to stand while watching them go by him. Then Phillips shows up every day, every inning. Brandon Phillips is the ballast of the vessel that is the Cincinnati REDS, the MVP, the Quiet Man, he leads by example. Yet, the REDS' own website slaps him in the face by suggesting that Hairston is the 1st Half MVP.

C'mon, REDS! Give the recognition to the guy who does his job the way everyone should.

Now the article is written by a guy, Marc Sheldon, who gets paid by mlb.com, but that's no excuse for allowing the article to be written and then not doing something about to correct it. Almost every team's website is run by Sportsline.com, but the content is still the responsibility of the club.

Phillips isn't going to say anything because he's not that kind of a guy, but it hurts him no matter what. Everyone wants to be appreciated for what they do.

Hairston? MVP? Give me a break.

It's Brandon Phillips without question.

Turn Off Ads?