Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Visiting GAPB (or any other stadium)

Visiting GAPB (or any other stadium)

I found this link while surfing the web. It has lots of information about and photos (from various angles) of Great American Ball Park. If you have never been there this will give you a very good idea of what the stadium is like. If you plan on visiting GAPB (or any other stadium) for the first time this has much needed information. I know there was a Q/A section to the forum at one time, but I couldnt locate it, so I posted this link here.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/visits/gabp.htm

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Visiting GAPB (or any other stadium)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I found this link while surfing the web. It has lots of information about and photos (from various angles) of Great American Ball Park. If you have never been there this will give you a very good idea of what the stadium is like. If you plan on visiting GAPB (or any other stadium) for the first time this has much needed information. I know there was a Q/A section to the forum at one time, but I couldnt locate it, so I posted this link here.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/visits/gabp.htm
    WHAT!?!? GABP is not the most reviled ballpark in all of baseball? What gives? I've watched numerous games in Crosley, Riverfront, and GABP, and IMO GABP is far and away the best place to watch a game. I love the Ballpark and wish I lived close enough to have season tickets...for me really, a comfy seat, a place for my beer and a good view of the field is heaven. The companionship of all the other fine Cincinnatians is just the icing on the cake.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

coming for a visit this summer....
    best seats?
    best concessions?

any other advice for tourists...??

It's in the FAQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It's in the FAQ.

looked there but not there?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranchi View Post
    coming for a visit this summer....
    best seats?
    best concessions?

any other advice for tourists...??
    Here's my two cents, feel free to do what you like with it ...

Best Seats

Do you have any areas of MLB stadiums in general that you like to sit? That may be the first thing to think about. If you've never been to an MLB stadium, then that may not help too much.

As with anything, price is a factor with what kind of seat quality you'll get.

1) All the infield box seats are good, though try to stay away from the higher rows (i.e. try to avoid the double letter rows such as AA, BB, etc.) as they'll push you away from the field.

2) Field Box seats are also fairly nice if you're down in the lower rows near the field.

3) Sun/Moon Deck seats are spectacular, IMO. They seem to be a favorite amongst a lot of people. A good quality area for a solid price (relative to other section/area ticket prices). Stay away from section 144 unless you're in a lower row. If you're in the middle/back rows in that section, your view of the scoreboard will be obstructed by the smoke stacks (this may also be a factor in section 143 in the middle/back row seats).

4) Mezzanine sections 416-419 in the lower rows (i.e. rows A to F) are good. What row you're in with those sections determines how good the seats are, IMO. Lower rows = much better seats there.

5) View Level Box seats in the infield (say sections 420-430) aren't bad.

6) View Level seats are generic upper deck seats. Not bad in lower rows (A through F) in the infield, but you're far away if you're in an upper row or down the outfield lines).

7) The club level seats (200 and 300 sections) are good seats, but you'll pay a price for them too since it gives you club level access in their bar/restaurant (and you'll pay stadium type prices for concessions/beer in that bar/restaurant).

Generally, most times it's worth it to move over one section if it's the difference between being in say ... Row C compared to being in something like Row W. At least if you're buying tickets online at reds.com, the system likes to fill up one section entirely before moving on the section next to it.

For example, say you want Mezzanine seats: the system online will try to sell you tickets in section 418 Row P or something when seats in section 417 Row B are still available. It's much better in that area to sit in the lower row seats.

Seats I Hate

1) View Level in general - you're too far away

2) Mezzanine outfield (sections 408-414) - you're too far away

3) Bleacher seats - Depends on the time of year that you're going and whether it's a day game or night game. The sun sets behind the first base line in the infield, which means if you're in the bleachers then you're staring directly into the sun as you look toward home plate for the first few innings of every night game.

4) Terrace Outfield - same thing as Bleacher seats; these are the field level seats in left field. Avoid them if you don't want to look directly into the sun.

Also, remember that the scoreboard is in left field above the bleachers too. Your view of the scoreboard is pretty much a pain in the you know what if you're in the Terrace Outfield or the Bleachers.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 03-30-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?