Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tuesday July 15th minor league updates

Tuesday July 15th minor league updates

Louisville and Chattanooga are off for their All-Star breaks while Sarasota and Dayton and Billings are all off because of the major league All-Star game.

The GCL Reds and DSL Reds are the only teams to play today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tuesday July 15th minor league updates

The GCL Reds lost 6-4.

Puckett: 1-for-3 homerun (#2), walk
    Contreras: 1-for-4 homerun (#1)
    Vasquez: 1-for-3 double, HBP
    Coddington: 1-for-3 HBP

Snowden: 6 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

He didn't play today but Alexis Oliveras entered today's game with two consecutive four-hit games and an overall statline of .452/.531/.571 - 1.102 OPS through 42 atbats with a fine 7 BB/9 K ratio. He was drafted by the Reds in the 9th round last year out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. He's only 19-years old and plays center field so he's someone worth keeping an eye on.

Shea Snowden is another young player to watch for...he now has a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings with only 18 hits allowed and a 5 BB/23 K ratio.

The DSL Reds lost 7-6.

Juan Duran went 1-for-3 with three walks and a stolen base.

I must say that while Duran hasn't been performing up to the standards that we might hope for, he has been very patient and has drawn a rather impressive amount of walks for a player of his age. Once he gets out of the slump he is currently in I expect that his stat line will improve dramatically.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by jt4prez View Post
    I must say that while Duran hasn't been performing up to the standards that we might hope for, he has been very patient and has drawn a rather impressive amount of walks for a player of his age. Once he gets out of the slump he is currently in I expect that his stat line will improve dramatically.
    He's 16 years old. I don't think anyone's expecting him to kill the ball right now.

I certainly didn't expect him to hit .320 right off the bat. For a 16 yr old kid who has never faced this level of competition before he is certainly holding his own. I was just saying that most people, me included would like to see him in the mid .200 range. The season is young and he is in a little slump. I'm not worried at all.

My original post was merely commenting on the fact that despite his recent struggles he is drawing a very respectable amount of walks for a player of his age. This will only help him as he starts to figure out the pitching in the more advanced leagues down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He didn't play today but Alexis Oliveras entered today's game with two consecutive four-hit games and an overall statline of .452/.531/.571 - 1.102 OPS through 42 atbats with a fine 7 BB/9 K ratio. He was drafted by the Reds in the 9th round last year out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy. He's only 19-years old and plays center field so he's someone worth keeping an eye on.

Shea Snowden is another young player to watch for...he now has a 0.69 ERA in 26 innings with only 18 hits allowed and a 5 BB/23 K ratio.
    NM
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by jt4prez View Post
    probably

the deal is that this scouting department has been pretty good at identifying solid, low-cost prospects, but it's not clear that they throw the big money at the right players. Until they score a knockout, we'll always wonder.

Turn Off Ads?