Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So with the Reds moving out of Sarasota...

Re: So with the Reds moving out of Sarasota...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm all for that!
    Take me home, country roads!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Salem Avalanche is affiliated with Astros, but owned by Red Sox who were upset that they got stuck in California League (Lancaster) this round.

So they bought Salem with intention of not renewing the Astros and taking over franchise. If Boston goes to Sarasota, rumor is they will buy Sarasota Reds. If so they won't need Salem franchise. But Reds will need one.......
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Lexington works for me. The Legends have a great park and draw well as it is. I know it's a pipe dream, but I'm still hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Lexington works for me. The Legends have a great park and draw well as it is. I know it's a pipe dream, but I'm still hoping.
    I think Lexington really wants to be in AA. Just curious (and because I can't find it on the internet) but when is the Reds contract with Chattanooga up?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

It would be nice to have...

Rookie - Appalachian League
    Low A - Dayton
    High A - Carolina League
    AA - Chattanooga
    AAA - Louisville

Pretty much all of the farm system within a days drive. Billings is a sticky situation since the Reds have been there forever (it seems).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Chattanooga is up after 08. The orginal word was that the Lookouts owner wanted to dump Reds, but there was article about 3 weeks ago saying they were going to re-up. I don't think they have though.

But that doesn't matter. All teams can do is rotate among AA franchises. The only way Lexington can be a AA franchise is to buy the franchise from someone else. There were 2 available recently, and Lexington either didn't try or failed to get them.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    It's possible they may extend for 2 more years, but a lot depends on the Boston and Baltimore situations. If Boston gets Sarasota for Spring Training (and Sarasota is trying hard to screw it up again) then Boston will almost certainly buy the Sarasota Reds, and the Reds will need a High A franchise.

Boston owns a High A Franchise in Salem Va, (the Avalanche), so if Boston goes to Sarasota, a franchise swap makes a lot of sense.

Baltimore might also want a franchise for Vero Beach (current team moves to Port Charlotte), so they might also want to buy/move Sarasota if the Bosox thing comes unraveled.

Either way, Carolina League seems to make most sense.
    I like this possiblity the best, as I am upset they are leaving Sarasota-I go almost every year to FL, but am not going to AZ for logistical and $ reasons. I live in NC, so that would at least put a team in my backyard that I can see more often then the one trip the Bats make to Durham each season.

There are a lot of moving parts here because of the fact that Boston and Cincinnati actually own their high-A franchises and they will have to find a buyer. The Salem franchise is probably worth $6 million. The Sarasota FSL franchise would be worth much less because of its lack of profitability but when you enter in the spring training factor, that could change it. I can't imagine the Reds would want to take on ownership of the Salem franchise from Boston. Bottom line, if Boston goes to Sarasota, the Reds will probably wind up in Salem somehow.

As far as Lexington going Double-A, the only way this could happen would be if they purchased a Southern League club, probably either West Tenn or Huntsville, and moved it to Lexington. I would have serious doubts that the Southern League would agree to expand that far north, so I do not expect that to ever happen. The real question is how long it will be before you see Dayton and Lexington in the same league.

Turn Off Ads?