Turn Off Ads?

Thread: David Price

David Price

I know this really isn't regarding the Reds, but is he considered the top prospect in the minors right now?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: David Price

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I know this really isn't regarding the Reds, but is he considered the top prospect in the minors right now?
    I am going to wager, no. Clayton Kershaw is likely the best guy in the minors currently. Price is probably #2 on the list.

If he's not the best, he's at least top five. Clayton Kershaw is up there, as is Matt Wieters, Jason Heyward, and Neftali Feliz. I think I would rank them like this:

1. David Price, LHP, Rays
    2. Matt Wieters, C, Orioles
    3. Clayton Kershaw, LHP, Dodgers
    4. Neftali Feliz, RHP, Rangers
    5. Jason Heyward, OF, Braves
    6. Matt LaPorta, OF/1B, Indians
    7. Rick Porcello, RHP, Tigers
    8. Trevor Cahill, RHP, A's
    9. Dexter Fowler, CF, Rockies
    10. Mat Gamel, 3B/OF, Brewers

I'm really glad the Brewers got Sabathia...the idea of them adding two more potent bats to their offense for the next decade in LaPorta and Gamel would not help the Reds chances over the next few seasons.

And when is David Price suppose to be called up...I'm interested in not only him helping the Rays but for fantasy purposes.

Feliz would be ranked that high? I met him and picked up a nice signed ball and the very start of the season but did not realize he was that highly thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I'm really glad the Brewers got Sabathia...the idea of them adding two more potent bats to their offense for the next decade in LaPorta and Gamel would not help the Reds chances over the next few seasons.

And when is David Price suppose to be called up...I'm interested in not only him helping the Rays but for fantasy purposes.
    Peter Gammons says Price could be in Tampa by August or September.

I don't think Feliz will be that high and no way is he ahead of Rick Porcello. Porcello is on a different level than Feliz is.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Feliz would be ranked that high? I met him and picked up a nice signed ball and the very start of the season but did not realize he was that highly thought of.
    I like Feliz a lot. Baseball America has him at #12 in their midseason top 25 but I like him higher than that. At the age of 20 in the Midwest League he posted a 2.52 ERA in 82 innings while allowing only 55 hits (2 HR) with a very strong 28 BB/106 K ratio. He's since been promoted to AA and has a 4.09 ERA and 9 K's in 11 innings so far. He's got smooth arm action and a fastball that sits around 97 and can touch 99-100. He also spins up a plus curveball and is still working on a changeup. I think he's got a chance to be a special pitcher soon. The Rangers made out like bandits in the Teixeira deal by getting Feliz, Harrison, Andrus, Beau Jones, and Saltalamacchia.

I like Rick Porcello a lot but I think I would take Feliz over him.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I like Rick Porcello a lot but I think I would take Feliz over him.
    Porcello is using 2 pitches this year. The Tigers took away his curveball and he is limited to throwing less than 10 sliders per game. He is pitching 2 seamer and changeup nearly all game. He is a groundball machine who can throw in the upper 90's, has an above average change up, an above average curve and an average slider right now. Oh, and he is 19. I think his strikeout numbers will explode when he is allowed to throw his curveball and a few more sliders.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Porcello is using 2 pitches this year. The Tigers took away his curveball and he is limited to throwing less than 10 sliders per game. He is pitching 2 seamer and changeup nearly all game. He is a groundball machine who can throw in the upper 90's, has an above average change up, an above average curve and an average slider right now. Oh, and he is 19. I think his strikeout numbers will explode when he is allowed to throw his curveball and a few more sliders.
    I was wondering about that. I have him in my keeper league and was concerned about his weak K numbers in the low minors. That is usually an indication that a pitcher is going to struggle in the majors. But this helps explain it if you're right.

Turn Off Ads?