Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Your Love & Faith Meter For Dusty Making The Right Choices And Decisions

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Running Hot

2 2.78%
  • Running Luke Warm

16 22.22%
  • Running Cold

19 26.39%
  • Running on Empty

35 48.61%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Love & Faith Meter For Dusty Making The Right Choices And Decisions

Your Love & Faith Meter For Dusty Making The Right Choices And Decisions

Your Love & Faith meter for Dusty making the right choices and decisions with the offense for the season remaining.

Running Hot
    Running Luke Warm
    Running Cold
    Running on Empty

Why ?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Re: Your Love & Faith Meter For Dusty Making The Right Choices And Decisions

Lukewarm. And that sucker's barely above room temperature.

On the "warm" side, I think he's managed the bullpen well the majority of the time and his sweatbands always ensure that he's nattily attired.

On the "luke" side, his lineups don't seem to maximize his roster's potential. He likes "small ball" at odd times and, most importantly, he and his coaching staff haven't found a way to get sustained offensive success out of the players.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Results are hidden? What kinda poll is this?

I went with Running Cold.

I'm actually very happy with how he's handling Cueto and Volquez (and Bailey when he's up). We're not seeing too many ridiculous pitch counts, which is a good thing. However, he's beating Harang and Arroyo to death. I also think he's beating the bullpen to death, to a degree. Burton, Affeldt, Lincoln, Weathers and Cordero are all on pace for 80+ IP. IMO, that's a bit much for 5 bullpen arms. I could see 1 or 2 guys going 80+, but 5 is laughable. I realize that the only reliable SP we have to not tax the bullpen are Harang, and Arroyo and it seems every other start from Cueto and Volquez also don't tax the bullpen, but when you want only around 500 IP from your pen during a season and we're looking to get at least 400 from those 5 bullpen arms, I see a red flag.

And no one likes Dusty's lineups. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind that likes Dusty's lineups.

Empty I guess, I never really had a meter for Dusty.
    Go Gators!

meh......there are bigger issues facing the reds....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think Dusty is a pretty serious problem. The way he defies logic more often than not drives me crazy, especially with where he bats Griffey. I'm just never going to like this guy. His mistakes are laughable. It's not that hard to manage a team, yet he fails to make some of the easiest and most obvious decisions.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Results are hidden? What kinda poll is this?

Agree. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Fixed.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Thanks. I would still like to see who voted for what.

Running on empty.

Even when he eventually gets to the "right decision," he wastes 60 games figuring it out (see, e.g., Patterson at leadoff).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's pushing all the right buttons with the pitching staff thus far. Hard to argue with his handling of Cueto and Volquez.

Hitting and lineups? Eh. At least EE and Bruce are getting everyday PT, and he's finally had the good sense to get Patterson out of the lineup. He still doesn't have a clue how to maximize run potential or keep his best hitters in the best position to succeed (see: BP batting #4 against RHP), but that's very much a part of Dusty's MO that isn't going to change.

Puts me right about at average to below-average.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    It was at one time an attempt to run a truer poll without the current results being made available until the poll closes on 07/20/08, to see what the votes would be without the voters being influenced by the current results. Unfortunately that was "fixed” so that won’t be happening.

I would still like to see who voted for what.
    Why?

What kind of poll would it be, if I knew how my buddies voted, and then voted with them?

Now that the poll has been skewed
    40 voted
    59 abstained,
    60% are either lukewarm or apathetic regarding the questions or the manager.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-17-2008 at 01:55 AM.

Running luke warm. Everyone seems to forget the improvement in W-L record, but that's OK.

I'm certainly no Dusty Baker fan (in fact, I wish he were gone), but compared to Bob boone, Dave Miley, Jerry Narron, and even Pete Macklanin, he appears to be a genius (some will disagree, I'm sure). The sins of the past (poor roster construction and unwise contracts) have left a disfunctional team for Baker to work with and he makes his share of mistakes (as all managers do), but I still contend that you could put the greatest manager in the world in charge of this club an still wind up below .500. That's my opinion of course.

time for a change in the makeup of this club which can be made now, but not likely until over the winter. As many as say this team is talented, the offensive results are putrid. You have to score runs to win. Unfortunately, the Reds do not score enough runs to win consistently. The pitching is much improved and all that's left is some hitters who can drive in runs and against lefthanded pitching. I look for Jockkety to work on that soon. Until then, give the man this team and he's dong remarkably well, as much as I hate to say it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Everyone seems to forget the improvement in W-L record, but that's OK.
    I haven't forgotten that the team has been showing improvements. I believe that they will do better post all-star than they did pre.

By now management on various levels of the organization will have learned much more about their personnel and should be able to adjust, adapt and to modify to gain improvements from the experience. Yet the competitors still have a vote.

Dusty's is better than Narron, Miley, and Boone I know that. I have no idea actually how good he is though.

I think there are bigger problems with this team than Dusty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?