Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thoughts from Miller Park

Thoughts from Miller Park

I know this is a little late--But I just got back from vacation in Milwaukee and attended the first game of the series up there (the Josh Fogg start)--a few thoughts:
    1. The atmosphere in the parking lot is awesome. Everyone's tailgating, throwing baseballs back and forth and drinking (lots of) beer. So different from Cincy--Just like a college football game.

2. The stadium is a good place to watch a game, but a little boring. From the outside it looks a little alien. Inside, there's pretty much no connection to baseball history/the city other than the yount/molitor jerseys. Bernie the Brewer goes down a long slide from the upper deck to the lower one everytime the Brewers do something good, but that's it. Not much aesthetically. At least GAB has the river.

3. I've been to games in five cities other than Cincinnati (all while wearing my Reds hat/jersey). Milwaukee is the ONLY place where I've really been heckled. Basically all the way from the parking lot (and then throughout the game) Brewers fans were yelling things like "Cincinnati sucks"---Wasn't too impressed with the fans in that regard.

4. Overall, Miller Park and the Brewers experience was not that great--PNC in Pittsburgh is still my favorite--GAB is definitely a cut above Miller.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts from Miller Park

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post
    I know this is a little late--But I just got back from vacation in Milwaukee and attended the first game of the series up there (the Josh Fogg start)--a few thoughts:
    1. The atmosphere in the parking lot is awesome. Everyone's tailgating, throwing baseballs back and forth and drinking (lots of) beer. So different from Cincy--Just like a college football game.
    I am curious what the surrounding area of Miller Park is like. Not much else to do around GAB at 7pm on a weeknight unless you go across the river, so I think that may be part of the reason there is little tailgating in Cincinnati comparatively.

2. The stadium is a good place to watch a game, but a little boring. From the outside it looks a little alien. Inside, there's pretty much no connection to baseball history/the city other than the yount/molitor jerseys. Bernie the Brewer goes down a long slide from the upper deck to the lower one everytime the Brewers do something good, but that's it. Not much aesthetically. At least GAB has the river.
    Well the Brewers don't have much of a history of success. Certainly pales in comparison to the rich history of the Reds, thats for sure. Yount and Molitor are about as good as it gets up there. Although the slide sounds just as cool as GAB's smokestacks I guess.

3. I've been to games in five cities other than Cincinnati (all while wearing my Reds hat/jersey). Milwaukee is the ONLY place where I've really been heckled. Basically all the way from the parking lot (and then throughout the game) Brewers fans were yelling things like "Cincinnati sucks"---Wasn't too impressed with the fans in that regard.
    I would chalk that up to the alcohol, although I am surprised to hear this. Most say everyone is super nice up there. Did you have a Happy Days/Fonzie Sucks shirt on too or something?

4. Overall, Miller Park and the Brewers experience was not that great--PNC in Pittsburgh is still my favorite--GAB is definitely a cut above Miller.
    Thanks for the analysis. I like hearing about the other parks/fans and how they compare.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post

I was up there for the Friday night game as well, and I couldn't believe how some of their fans were acting. I got peanuts thrown at me twice, and when my dad and I were trying to get our picture taken overlooking the field in between innings, the entire section we were sitting in was booing like we had come into their yard and kicked their dogs before heading to the stadium. I know opposing fans get crap no matter where they go, but I didn't even get it this bad when I was in Wrigley.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Everyone says PNC park is #1.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Here's my theory on Brewer fans. For years, they have seen Cubs fans travel to Milwaukee and they are trying to emulate them.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

What kinds of things make PNC park so special? I mean EVERYONE from all walks of life I talk to that go there LOVE IT. What is it?

To me, when I go there and see the Pirates play, I just can only get so into it. There's a ceiling on the experience, know what I mean?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by highheat11 View Post
    I was up there for the Friday night game as well, and I couldn't believe how some of their fans were acting. I got peanuts thrown at me twice, and when my dad and I were trying to get our picture taken overlooking the field in between innings, the entire section we were sitting in was booing like we had come into their yard and kicked their dogs before heading to the stadium. I know opposing fans get crap no matter where they go, but I didn't even get it this bad when I was in Wrigley.
    I would also add (very subjectively of course) that the baseball discourse surrounding our seats was at a pretty low level. It seemed that most people were only marginally aware of the game--The pre-game tailgating could have contributed to this too, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    What kinds of things make PNC park so special? I mean EVERYONE from all walks of life I talk to that go there LOVE IT. What is it?

To me, when I go there and see the Pirates play, I just can only get so into it. There's a ceiling on the experience, know what I mean?
    Yeah, True. There's definitely a ceiling on the experience. I think the appealing thing about PNC is that they've managed to create a really intimate and old-timey feeling. That, and there's spots to hang out at before and after the game.

Miller Park was devoid of anything within walking distance.

I was also there Friday night and I am from Indiana. The fans were all over Griffey and Phillips for going 0 for 5. THey didn't understand the fact that Cameron miss played a ball for the Reds to win. Pretty nice town except for the fans!!
    Last edited by chisdad; 07-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chisdad View Post
    I was also there Friday night and I am from Indiana. The fans were all over Griffey and Phillips for going 0 for 5. THey didn't understand the fact that Cameron miss played a ball for the Reds to win. Pretty nice town except for the fans!!
    Yeah it was very clear that many of the fans didn't understand the game of baseball whatsoever, although I am sure they can be found in nearly any city, but it seemed like more than usual. There was a nice Brewer fan sitting next to us that talked baseball with us the whole night but he had to explain why runners had to tag up on fly balls to the people he came with.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Interesting to hear, I've always wanted to check Miller out. Hopefully by the end of summer I will get a chance. Can anyone reccommend a place to stay???

As for the fans, I was at Wrigley for 2 games last week with a Reds hat on and nobody said a word to me. I was shocked!!! I have come to the conclusion that it was all about the party and less about baseball there. Our Cab driver said it best with his thick Chicago accent "anybody dat says Cubbies is a @#$#ing ***, dey are da Cubs. Anybody says Cubbies is not a real fan!"

The worst place I have been as far as fans are concerned is Cleveland. You would have thought I had a nazi party hat on during the ALCS last season by the way people heckeled my Reds hat. Sorry, but I just could not bring myself to wear a Tribe or Red Sox hat. Not much they can say this year though as it looks like 60 years has passed them buy for a Championship.

Interesting to hear about the atmosphere around Miller, would love to have more of that around GABP. Maybe the completion of the Banks project (don't laugh, they've broken ground) will help that. For some reason whenver I see Miller it reminds me of the BOB (now Chase Field) as well as Enron (now MM). I'm just not a fan of ballparks that resemble boxed up warehouses on a city block. The only park that I feel sucessfully has pulled off a retractable roof while maintaining the traditional ballpark feel is Safeco up in Seattle. PNC Park is just beautiful and is more in line with the ballparks of yesteryear.

Turn Off Ads?