Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volquez's first All-Star Game memorable

Volquez's first All-Star Game memorable

Volquez's first All-Star Game memorable
    Reds rookie turns in action-packed seventh inning
    By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Edinson Volquez couldn't wipe the smile off his face. And good luck getting that All-Star ring off his finger.

Participating in his the first All-Star Game of his young career, Volquez came into the visitors' clubhouse at Yankee Stadium grinning Tuesday afternoon, just hours before he would take the field as a National League All-Star. And despite the NL's 15-inning, 4-3 defeat, he'd leave with the same trademark grin.

But really, who can blame him?

"I'm having fun," said Volquez, the NL's ERA leader. "It's the All-Star Game. You can't be nervous. You're here to enjoy the All-Star Game."

There was more to that smile than meets the eye, however. Part of it was no doubt a byproduct of two days packed with festivities, which for Volquez included a Red Carpet Parade down the streets of Manhattan and a front-row seat to the Josh Hamilton Home Run Derby show at Yankee Stadium.

"Unbelievable," Volquez called Hamilton afterward.

Don't forget it was Hamilton who was on the other end of the Texas-Cincinnati trade that landed the 25-year-old hurler in a Reds uniform back in December.

Part of it was that ring -- which he called the highlight of his visit to New York City. Yes, it came before both the Derby, the parade and even the game. In fact, it was the first thing Volquez pulled out postgame when the cameras started rolling.

But part of it was also a reflection of where he's been, where he is and where he's going.

"The last two years, I was struggling a little bit," Volquez said. "I have made the adjustments to make the All-Star team."

That smile would be temporarily wiped off Volquez's face, however, when his first All-Star appearance ended on a less-than-desirable note. Sent out to protect a 2-0 NL lead in the seventh, Volquez immediately surrendered a leadoff double to Minnesota's Justin Morneau.

Morneau advanced to third when Volquez induced a groundout. The Cincinnati right-hander then came back with a beautiful 95-mph tailing fastball to Tampa Bay catcher Dioner Navarro to record the second out of the inning.

But a 2-1 hanging fastball to Boston's J.D. Drew would land in the right-field seats, erasing a slim NL lead and making Volquez the first NL pitcher to give up a run on Tuesday. The home run came in Drew's first All-Star at-bat.

"When you come to the mound and see like 60,000 people, it's amazing," Volquez said afterward. "I had to face a hitter like him, and it's a challenge. I threw one bad pitch."

But Volquez responded by coming back to strikeout Texas' Michael Young to end his 18-pitch inning and to finish off an otherwise incredible few days.

"I think that's what I am going to keep in my mind," he said. "Those strikeouts."

For a pitcher who was pitching in Class A a year ago and at risk of losing his top-prospect label, on Tuesday night the results could all be put aside. This was simply about the experience.

"I just wanted to be here and have fun," Volquez said. "It's been great since this is my first full season in the Major Leagues, especially since this game is the last All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium. That was unbelievable."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez's first All-Star Game memorable

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a hanging fastball.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever heard of a hanging fastball.
    Straight fast ball with no movement?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

I suppose but the term "hanging" is usually used for a pitch that breaks. I had to look twice to see if John Fay wrote this article.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

From my recollection, it wasn't a terrible pitch but it wasn't a good one either. It looked like he was trying to throw that backdoor fastball on the inside corner and it tailed back out over the plate. Had some movement and wasn't too high, but it was hittable and Drew did.
    Not all who wander are lost

Looked a lot like the first one, but the diff was I think Drew had seen the previous one, and since the change wasn't getting called for strikes and he wasn't chasing, it he was waiting on that pitch. If Volquez had dropped a slider or something else the tale might be much different now.

It REALLY looked like Drew was waiting on that pitch.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Just like the relief appearance in San Diego, Volquez didn't have a very good changeup last night on short rest. I was hoping he would get the night off unless a situation occurred where Volquez could face Josh Hamilton but Clint Hurdle chose not to bring him in to later in the game.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

The at bat seemed to me like a good but still young pitcher getting beat by a good but veteran hitter. Drew had a great AB, got the pitch he wanted, and went with it.

Drew got the best of EV no doubt...but was that HR a result of the short porch, or would it be gone in GABP. Off the bat it looked like a flare down the line.

Looks like The Reds aren't in the game anymore

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...,2383574.story

The Mets, who are bidding farewell to Shea Stadium this season, are on course to host the 2013 All-Star Game. Given that Shea is not quite beloved, it made more sense for the Mets to showcase Citi Field than to bring more attention upon their current eyesore.

"I have a band of owners, more in the National League than the American League, that say, 'We haven't had an All-Star Game,'" baseball commissioner Bud Selig said yesterday at his annual meeting with the Baseball Writers Association. "... I'm trying to work my way. It's impossible to keep everybody happy, but I'll do the best I can."

Baseball has announced the sites for the 2009 and 2010 Midsummer Classics, with next year's at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, followed by Angel Stadium in Anaheim.

The 2011 game is expected to be at Arizona's Chase Field, then Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City in 2012. Then it will be the Mets' turn.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Drew got the best of EV no doubt...but was that HR a result of the short porch, or would it be gone in GABP. Off the bat it looked like a flare down the line.
    I'm not sure. It was probably hit too hard to get caught, but it might have been too low to get out of some parks.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

It's ridiculous. Great American Ballpark opened before Busch Stadium, and front what I've read, Busch is probably the worst new ballpark in the game. Chase Field, GABP, Petco Park, and Citizens Bank Park are all more deserving than Busch Stadium at this point.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's ridiculous. Great American Ballpark opened before Busch Stadium, and front what I've read, Busch is probably the worst new ballpark in the game. Chase Field, GABP, Petco Park, and Citizens Bank Park are all more deserving than Busch Stadium at this point.
    3 million fans a year gets you some attention no matter how screwed up your new park is.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

according to a New York writer, it will be the Mets turn. It may or may not be the case.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That was officially called the "Bailey" earlier this year.

Turn Off Ads?