Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Bench or Morgan on field?

Why no Bench or Morgan on field?

During the intros i was surprised they weren't introduced at the AS Game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Why no Bench or Morgan on field?

See earlier speculation in the game thread beginning here.
    /r/reds

I didn't see the game or the intros but it is curious why they weren't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I was also quite surprised to not see them there. Other greats like Tom Seaver and Carlton Fisk were also missing...I guess they didn't want to invite all of the Hall of Famers from rivals like the Mets and Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I was also quite surprised to not see them there. Other greats like Tom Seaver and Carlton Fisk were also missing...I guess they didn't want to invite all of the Hall of Famers from rivals like the Mets and Red Sox.

Didn't Seaver play for the Yankees a year or two?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Oh I am sure Seaver, Fisk and even Yaz were invited. It would have been very bad publicity for the event had they not been. I can only speculate but I doubt if Fisk and Yaz wanted to go out on a field in front of 50,000 people and get booed for being Red Sox. Seaver played for the rival Mets but I am guessing he still would have been cheered by the Yankee faithful, so I am not real sure why he wasn't there.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 07-16-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I wondered the same especially since Joe was there the night before. Did he do the game on the radio? That could be an explanation.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bench was on ESPN Radio in NY plugging his new book yesterday afternoon. I only caught the end and didn't hear him say that he wouldn't be there.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Didn't Seaver play for the Yankees a year or two?
    Nah. After he left the Reds in 1982 he went back to the Mets for one year and then to the White Sox for 2 1/2 seasons before being traded to the Red Sox for a half year in 1986 and then called it quits after that season.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Bench was on ESPN Radio in NY plugging his new book yesterday afternoon. I only caught the end and didn't hear him say that he wouldn't be there.
    I wish I had a nickel every time I heard JB was on the radio plugging his new book.

Maybe JB didnt show up last night because they wouldn't let him hold up his book when they introduced him
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

IIRC, I read a while back that every living HOFer was invited. I commented in another thread that it was very disapointing that Bench and Morgan weren't there. Maybe they had prior commitments? Seaver would have been cheered if he had been there. According to Retrosheet he was cheered wildly back in 1977 at the ASG that was held in Yankee Stadium. This was his return to NYC after being traded to the Reds.
    Also is Sparky in too poor of health now to travel? It would have been great to see him there too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Also is Sparky in too poor of health now to travel? It would have been great to see him there too.
    If I recall Sparky came back to Cincy just last year when Daveys number was retired. I am just guessing but I am sure at his age he picks and chooses where he goes and a cross country flight from California to New York isn't at the top of his priority lists right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I believe so. I remember in spring training when Dusty invited him to Reds camp but Sparky had to turn it down due to health issues.

Perhaps, but the occasion fell short of matching the similar ceremony before the 1999 All-Star Game at Fenway Park, when baseball honored its All-Century team. Despite the many Hall of Famers who took the field Tuesday night, the ceremony was also notable for its many absences, including Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax, Joe Morgan, Nolan Ryan, Stan Musial, Carlton Fisk and Carl Yastrzemski.

Compare that to the 1999 gathering. In addition to many of the players at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, the Fenway ceremony had Bench, Koufax, Ryan, Morgan, Roger Clemens, Ken Griffey Jr., Pete Rose, Stan Musial, Randy Johnson, Warren Spahn, Tony Gwynn, Mark McGwire, Pedro Martinez, Robbie Alomar and, of course, Ted Williams.

That night could have been topped only if the players had entered the ballpark through a cornfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allsta...jim&id=3491424

I believe so. I remember in spring training when Dusty invited him to Reds camp but Sparky had to turn it down due to health issues.

I am pretty sure watching Dusty manage would have made Sparky's health much worse.

Turn Off Ads?