Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers lose their closer for at least 6 weeks

Dodgers lose their closer for at least 6 weeks

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3491451

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers closer Takashi Saito will be sidelined until at least late August with a sprained elbow ligament in his pitching arm.

Saito, 38, was diagnosed Tuesday by team physician Neal ElAttrache, who has ruled out surgery for now. Saito is headed for the 15-day disabled list and will rehabilitate his right arm for six weeks, then be reevaluated, the team said.

He is 3-3 with a 2.18 ERA in 39 appearances. Saito has 17 saves in 20 chances.

General manager Ned Colletti said it is difficult to replace a closer.

"As far as trading for a closer, it's a lot like trying to acquire a shortstop -- it's a premium position and most teams don't carry an excess," Colletti said from the All-Star Game in New York.
    Manager Joe Torre said Sunday that Jonathan Broxton would be the team's closer until further notice. But Torre was unsure who would take over for Broxton as setup man.

Broxton said he's ready for his new role.

"I just look at it like it's the eighth inning. I come out and get outs," Broxton said. "It's no different for me."

Saito, an All-Star last year, had his ninth-inning stint Saturday night against Florida cut short because of tightness in the elbow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers lose their closer for at least 6 weeks

I wonder if Weathers and/or Affeldt would be on their radar? I think Broxton easily takes the closer role, but they're in need of a setup guy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I wonder if Weathers and/or Affeldt would be on their radar? I think Broxton easily takes the closer role, but they're in need of a setup guy.
    Majewski's up to the task.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Jeff Shaw for a cheap young Paul Konerko

I know he has a no-trade, but if something could be worked out I'd deal Coco (+) for Broxton, Kemp and a prospect.

Don't see that happening, so I'd definitely be on the phone to the Dodgers pitching Weathers, Affeldt and/or Majewski

I clearly think Weathers is a good solution - he's not your classic closer, but he's performed the role and has recent success. Their need gives us, I think, a little better price for him, one would hope.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I'd rather have Broxton anyway. The Dodgers need a 3rd baseman. Edwin might draw their interest.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I still want Kemp. I could see the Dodgers going for Weathers and a prospect for Kemp. The question is, would you be willing to send them Burton and a porspect for Kemp?

I would do this since I think the Reds are sellers right now. Roenicke could replace Burton and the Reds would have a nice LF/CF for the post Dunn and JR era.
    Last edited by red-in-la; 07-16-2008 at 06:46 PM.

If you're making a deal with the Dodgers, try to get some Chin-Lung Ho on the menu. He can't hit ML pitching for squat at the moment, but he could be a plus offense-defense SS in another two years.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you're making a deal with the Dodgers, try to get some Chin-Lung Ho on the menu. He can't hit ML pitching for squat at the moment, but he could be a plus offense-defense SS in another two years.
    I think Keppinger would have to be the bait if you want Hu back. The Dodgers would want a SS they can plug in today and he's the only one we've got. While I like Keppy quite a bit and think he can be a big asset, Keppy and Weathers for Hu and a prospect probably isn't an unreasonable offer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What he said.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Brian Fuentes will soon be wearing Dodger blue.

I doubt the Dodgers have any interest trading with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I still want Kemp. I could see the Dodgers going for Weathers and a prospect for Kemp. The question is, would you be willing to send them Burton and a porspect for Kemp?
    I want Kemp too.

I would give them Weathers, Burton, and a prospect. Kemp could be a cornerstone to the outfield for years to come. The Reds desperately need a right-handed outfield bat. I'd be willing to part with a lot to get him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I have seen this kid play a little and have NOT been impressed. Seems to me that his very, very top end is Pokey Reese. Just my opinion.....can anybody post his basic history?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Brian Fuentes will soon be wearing Dodger blue.

I doubt the Dodgers have any interest trading with the Reds.
    I seriously doubt Fuentes would go to the Dodgers.....wouldn't the Rockies see themselves now right where they were last year? 8.5 back of the division lead (especially when the leader is under .500) is not the time to trade teams in front of you just what they need.

Turn Off Ads?