Turn Off Ads?

Thread: All Star Thoughts

All Star Thoughts

Even though I usually consider the All Star game an over hyped exhibition game, I enjoyed the festivities last night and thought the Yankees did a pretty good job. But considering that his two homers in game 4 of the 76 series was the biggest Yankee Stadium moment for us Reds fans, I'm surprised John Bench was a no show. Also missed Koufax and I thought Joe Torre should have been there. I understand they showed a Bobby Murcer video tribute at the end of the second inning, but Fox decided not to show it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All Star Thoughts

It bothered me that MLB didn't include Barry Larkin last night yet Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. was there. Larkin is one up on both of those guys, a 30-30 season and a World Series ring.

I was surprised no Nolan Ryan as well

Headed South

As much as I like Barry Larkin, it's a ridiculous stat cherrypick to say that he's up on Ripken and Gwynn since he has a 30-30 season and a ring.

Gwynn is like 9 up on Barry in batting titles.
    Ripken is like 200 up on Barry in home runs.

Case closed. Barry was a great player but he didn't belong on that field.

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

My thoughts:
    1. How is the game supposed to attract a younger generation when it goes on till 1:30am??? I love football, but something must be done to ensure the love of americas past time before it is gone.

2. Phillips could have manned 2B better than Uggla even without a glove!!!
    3. Russel Martin is the best Catcher I have seen in a long time.
    4. Volky may have given up 2 runs, but was is down right wicked on every other pitch.
    5. Was it wrong of me to hope the other players in the NL Central would be overused for an exhibition game just so the Reds could have a better 2nd half.
    6. Tim Lincecum should drink more water.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    It bothered me that MLB didn't include Barry Larkin last night yet Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. was there. Larkin is one up on both of those guys, a 30-30 season and a World Series ring.
    I may be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that all the legends that were there were also all Hall of Famers. Since Barry has not even been eligible yet, I'd say that was a chief reason that he wasn't there.

Some possible solutions to the All-Star debacle of Webb and Kazmir pitching and the lack of hitting.

-Bring in some All-Star middle relievers. They are a huge part of the game and are underrepresented at the All Star game.
    -The Elected All-Star starters should be All-Star "finishers". Wouldn't we rather see A-Rod, Jeter, Berkman, and Chipper battle it out at the end. Bring them in in the 5th inning. Sounds like a good idea to me. I wasn't dying to watch Nate McLouth and Corey Hart battle Dioner Navarro and Carlos Guillen.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Harumph. I think it is a waste of three perfectly good summer days in which they could be playing baseball. I have always hated it. It always seems like a month to me. Home run derbies - blah! And don't forget to stay off my lawn!

One main thought all game : BP should be there.

You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    -The Elected All-Star starters should be All-Star "finishers". Wouldn't we rather see A-Rod, Jeter, Berkman, and Chipper battle it out at the end. Bring them in in the 5th inning.
    I see what you're getting at, but I can't quite get behind the 5th inning entrance. I mean: what if the "scrubs" blow the game out of proportion? Then you have Jeter and Co. putting in a few innings of meaningless mop-up duty after the lesser lights already decided the game. Also not too appealing.

A better way to handle it: make the elected All-Stars the All-Star "Deciders." You come to the All Star game, and you're playing for your league until such time as the manager decides he feels comfortable (or feels blown out) and decides to replace you. If you're a player who looks at the ASG as a vacation with a 2 inning committment to half-ass it on the field, then guess what? You can opt out, and explain to the fans who seemingly love you why you don't love them back. But if you're a player who wants to test his mettle against the other best players in the league, then come on down, and be ready to play 7. Or 9. Or maybe even more.

Although, in reality, I think you'd still have ample opportunities for subbing: pitchers would still be rotated on a 2-3 inning basis, so managers might play match-ups. And more importantly: the unique dichotomy of the ASG (where fans pick their "favorites" regardless of current performance, but the rosters are rounded out with the best players from the first half) means that a manager CAN make a sub in the 3rd or 4th inning, removing whatever joker (Fukodome?) the fans voted in and replacing him with a superior player for the duration.

Once you change to this mentality, I think you can also dismiss all this nonsense about expanding the ASG rosters further. If anything, you could reduce them (not to the standard 25, necessarily, but do you really need 32 players on each side?). And the same rules apply to pitchers as to position players: if you come to the ASG, you come ready to play. None of this "I pitched on Sunday, so I'm not available, but I'll still hang out and take up a roster spot." One or the other, Potsie.

I'd also be fine with removing the "one representative per team" rule, with the exception of the team hosting the game. At this point, there's enough baseball on TV that fans get to see as much of their team's players as they want; the ASG is special and different, and its appeal should be the chance to see The Best vs. The Best. Not the chance to see The Best KC Royal versus Brandon Webb. I've got no problem with an obligation to give the live fans at the stadium a home team boy to cheer for, but other than that? Meh.

Or perhaps I'm just a hopeless romantic, who wants the All Star Game to have value, when everybody else thinks its a silly frivolity where nothing should happen that places a player's value to his Real Team at risk in any way. Oh well....

Rick

Turn Off Ads?