Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no All Star Game for GABP??

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Why no All Star Game for GABP??

Just wondering...how come it seems like Great American is left out of the All Star mix?? I have heard nothing about GABP being considered for the future....Busch Stadium is the site next year and that was built after GABP. What gives?? I have heard fans of other teams and even Reds fans say GABP is too bland/mediocre. Is that why?? Anyone have any other reasons, ideas or thought why we arent in the All Star mix?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why no All Star Game for GABP??

its in cincinnati thats why

Because on the Cincinnati Riverfront you have to walk across the river to find something to do.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I still have my 1988 All-Star Game t-shirt. It is a little small (I was 8 when I got it) but I still wear it to games.
    We last had the game in '88, there are 30 teams, so that means somewhere around 2018.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I still have my 1988 All-Star Game t-shirt. It is a little small (I was 8 when I got it) but I still wear it to games.
    We last had the game in '88, there are 30 teams, so that means somewhere around 2018.
    I went to the game and still have my 1988 all-star key chain on my key ring.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I heard rumors back in 2003 that we'd get it soon. It has to be in the next 6 years doesn't it?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Just wondering...how come it seems like Great American is left out of the All Star mix?? I have heard nothing about GABP being considered for the future....Busch Stadium is the site next year and that was built after GABP. What gives?? I have heard fans of other teams and even Reds fans say GABP is too bland/mediocre. Is that why?? Anyone have any other reasons, ideas or thought why we arent in the All Star mix?
    It won't be here until the Banks are finished, even if we were offered it. The City wants to promote the "new" Cincinnati, and the completion to the Banks development will be the capper to the rebirth of downtown. Look for the All Star game to come here either in 2014 or more likely 2016, cause the Banks, the trolley, and the new Great American Tower will be finished by then, so people visiting will actually have places to go to around the ball park.

Redhawk hit it right on the money. If the Banks project is a sucess and the Great American Insurance Building is built as planned I think we will be more of a contender. There is just not much to do around the ballpark right now. Also, it is not really considered a gem so far as new ballparks go. Should have used the river better and I think the steamboat in center is plain tacky. Simpifly simplify simplify - please.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    It won't be here until the Banks are finished, even if we were offered it. The City wants to promote the "new" Cincinnati, and the completion to the Banks development will be the capper to the rebirth of downtown. Look for the All Star game to come here either in 2014 or more likely 2016, cause the Banks, the trolley, and the new Great American Tower will be finished by then, so people visiting will actually have places to go to around the ball park.
    Push your projections back about 10 years and there's a chance.

I also would not underestimate the Pete Rose factor, and that Bud Selig might well choose to avoid giving a group of people a platform to make him look like Satan reincarnate on a national stage.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    I also would not underestimate the Pete Rose factor, and that Bud Selig might well choose to avoid giving a group of people a platform to make him look like Satan reincarnate on a national stage.
    that's a real good point

What gives?? I have heard fans of other teams and even Reds fans say GABP is too bland/mediocre. Is that why??
    Have you seen PNC park? If this is the reason, how did Pittsburgh get it and not Cincinnati? If Pitt is ahead of us in terms of the stadium its not by much.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Everything I have heard about PNC has been rave reviews....

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    Have you seen PNC park? If this is the reason, how did Pittsburgh get it and not Cincinnati? If Pitt is ahead of us in terms of the stadium its not by much.
    PNC park is one of the best looking parks in all of baseball. Great views of the river and bridges, especially at night. Pitt just has a terrible team and ownership group. I would trade GABP and day of the week for PNC park.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

St Louis hasnt had an All Star game since the 1966. The Reds have hosted two games in that time. Improbus hit the nail on the head. With 30 teams in the league, the Reds shouldnt have hosted another game since 1988 yet. You cant host the game every ten or even twenty years even though we would enjoy that very much. It has nothing to do with Pete Rose for crying out loud.

Turn Off Ads?