Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Phils trade for Blanton

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Phils trade for Blanton

Blanton traded for 3 minor leaguers

The bloom has come off of the Blanton rose this season. Will be interesting to see how good these minor leaguers are that the Phils had to give up.

Also one less team that possibly could have been interested in Arroyo.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Old Red Guard Reject

Re: Phils trade for Blanton

The Athletics get second baseman Adrian Cardenas, pitcher Josh Outman and outfielder Matthew Spencer, all minor leaguers.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Old Red Guard Reject

PhuturePhils ranks Cardenas as the #2 prospect in the system, Outman #10 and Spencer #28. BA has Cardenas #2 and Outman #4. Pretty good haul for Beane. I think the Phils get hammered for this deal just like Blanton will in Citizens Bank Park. I'd love to get anything close for Arroyo.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    PhuturePhils ranks Cardenas as the #2 prospect in the system, Outman #10 and Spencer #28. BA has Cardenas #2 and Outman #4. Pretty good haul for Beane. I think the Phils get hammered for this deal just like Blanton will in Citizens Bank Park. I'd love to get anything close for Arroyo.
    I think it was a solid deal for both teams. I really don't think Philadelphia gave up too much. Blanton is a pretty steady pitcher and should do fine.

Cardenas was a good get for Oakland, but the other two, while probably having some upside, weren't exactly sure-things.

This trade helps the Phillies strengthen a very weak rotation with an innings eater, and helps them fight off the surging Mets this year for the NL East title.

And it helps the A's build up their farm system so that in the next few years they can become good enough to lose in the first round of the playoffs, again.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

For what it turned out to cost to pry Blanton loose, there's no doubt we would have seriously been fleeced to send Cueto et. al to Oakland this spring. Good non-trade by Krivs.

Yeah Blanton is 5-12 with a 4.96 this season too. I'm not quite sold on him and the Phils gave up a lot. Only to lose the division to the Mets and Wild Card to the Brew Crew...

Turn Off Ads?