Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    1. Yonder Alonso - he hasn't signed yet but I'm confident he will sign and when he does he'll rank as the biggest impact bat in the Reds minor league system IMO. He's got 30 homerun power and a great eye at the plate which will allow him to post high on base percentages throughout his career. I look for him to reach the majors sometime in late 2009.

    2. Neftali Soto - this may come as a surprise to some but I love the potential in Soto's bat. I am a huge Todd Frazier fan but I think Soto has more potential. He's currently hitting .392/.425/.722 - 1.146 OPS between Billings and Dayton and the kid is only 19-years old. He's got power to all fields and doesn't strikeout a lot. His long wiry frame should allow him to develop huge power. IMO he's the best RH in the Reds system since Austin Kearns.

    3. Todd Frazier - A couple months ago Frazier would have ranked #1 on this list after Jay Bruce graduated to the majors but with the drafting of Yonder Alonso and emergence of Neftali Soto he's now third on the list. I like his bat a lot. His solid power and good eye at the plate reminds me of Kevin Youkilis. He looks like he'll be a solid hitter for average and hit 25 homeruns while drawing plenty of walks. He could end up at 3B, 1B, or LF, it doesn't matter, his bat should play anywhere.

    4. Chris Valaika - Valaika reminds me so much of Michael Young from the Rangers. Similar size, both are average shortstops, and they even went to the same college and their minor league stats are very similar. Valaika has decent power and hits for average and could be ready for the majors sometime in 2009.

    5. Sean Henry - Henry is a smallish (5'10" 180) 22-year old outfielder the Reds acquired from the Mets last August for Jeff Conine. He's currently hitting .320/.394/.498 - .892 OPS with AA Chattanooga. He may never be a star but he seems to be putting it together and could develop into a fine 4th outfielder for the Reds within the next couple years, and Reds fans know we could use solid bench players.

    6. Shaun Cumberland - another guy who was acquired last year as a throw in in the Jorge Cantu deal. He'll soon turn 24 and is currently hitting .291/.375/.449 - .825 OPS between Chattanooga and Louisville. Like Henry, he may never develop into a star but he could be a very good backup outfielder or even a starter. He's got a solid eye at the plate and can play all three outfield positions.

    7. Drew Stubbs - I love the defense Drew Stubbs provides but this is all about the bat. I like his ability to draw a walk and steal bases but his lack of power so far is what has him so low. If he can start showing more power in Chattanooga then he'll get bumped up a few spots on this list at the end of the season.

    8. Juan Duran - this is based on ability alone as Duran only has some 40 atbats or so in the Dominican Summer League. He's got the potential to jump to the top of this list in a couple of seasons with all the talent he's got. His unbelievable raw power and ability to draw a walk right now is what forced me to put him in the top ten.

    9. Danny Dorn - Dorn has platoon player written all over him as he crushes right handed pitchers but struggles mightily against lefties. He's currently hitting .286/.369/.557 against RHP in AA Chattanooga. He's another guy who could reach the majors sometime in 2009 and provide the Reds with a solid bat off the bench.

    10. Brandon Waring - I love the huge power Waring brings to the table but his high strikeout totals in Single-A are concerning. He's got some of the best power in the minors along with the ability to take a walk but he'll need to cut down on the strikeouts or else he'll be exposed at higher levels.

    Just missing the cut: Devin Mesoraco, Alex Buchholz, Alexis Oliveras, Justin Turner, Juan Francisco, and Chris Dickerson.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,693

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Not sure if this is pure hitting or position players. Assuming pure hitting:

    1. Frazier
    2. Alonso
    3. Soto

    big gap

    4. Dorn
    5. Henry
    6. Cumberland
    7. Valaika
    8. Gutierrez
    9. Waring
    10. Francisco
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    710

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    1. Yonder Alonso - he hasn't signed yet but I'm confident he will sign and when he does he'll rank as the biggest impact bat in the Reds minor league system IMO. He's got 30 homerun power and a great eye at the plate which will allow him to post high on base percentages throughout his career. I look for him to reach the majors sometime in late 2009.

    2. Neftali Soto - this may come as a surprise to some but I love the potential in Soto's bat. I am a huge Todd Frazier fan but I think Soto has more potential. He's currently hitting .392/.425/.722 - 1.146 OPS between Billings and Dayton and the kid is only 19-years old. He's got power to all fields and doesn't strikeout a lot. His long wiry frame should allow him to develop huge power. IMO he's the best RH in the Reds system since Austin Kearns.

    3. Todd Frazier - A couple months ago Frazier would have ranked #1 on this list after Jay Bruce graduated to the majors but with the drafting of Yonder Alonso and emergence of Neftali Soto he's now third on the list. I like his bat a lot. His solid power and good eye at the plate reminds me of Kevin Youkilis. He looks like he'll be a solid hitter for average and hit 25 homeruns while drawing plenty of walks. He could end up at 3B, 1B, or LF, it doesn't matter, his bat should play anywhere.

    4. Chris Valaika - Valaika reminds me so much of Michael Young from the Rangers. Similar size, both are average shortstops, and they even went to the same college and their minor league stats are very similar. Valaika has decent power and hits for average and could be ready for the majors sometime in 2009.

    5. Sean Henry - Henry is a smallish (5'10" 180) 22-year old outfielder the Reds acquired from the Mets last August for Jeff Conine. He's currently hitting .320/.394/.498 - .892 OPS with AA Chattanooga. He may never be a star but he seems to be putting it together and could develop into a fine 4th outfielder for the Reds within the next couple years, and Reds fans know we could use solid bench players.

    6. Shaun Cumberland - another guy who was acquired last year as a throw in in the Jorge Cantu deal. He'll soon turn 24 and is currently hitting .291/.375/.449 - .825 OPS between Chattanooga and Louisville. Like Henry, he may never develop into a star but he could be a very good backup outfielder or even a starter. He's got a solid eye at the plate and can play all three outfield positions.

    7. Drew Stubbs - I love the defense Drew Stubbs provides but this is all about the bat. I like his ability to draw a walk and steal bases but his lack of power so far is what has him so low. If he can start showing more power in Chattanooga then he'll get bumped up a few spots on this list at the end of the season.

    8. Juan Duran - this is based on ability alone as Duran only has some 40 atbats or so in the Dominican Summer League. He's got the potential to jump to the top of this list in a couple of seasons with all the talent he's got. His unbelievable raw power and ability to draw a walk right now is what forced me to put him in the top ten.

    9. Danny Dorn - Dorn has platoon player written all over him as he crushes right handed pitchers but struggles mightily against lefties. He's currently hitting .286/.369/.557 against RHP in AA Chattanooga. He's another guy who could reach the majors sometime in 2009 and provide the Reds with a solid bat off the bench.

    10. Brandon Waring - I love the huge power Waring brings to the table but his high strikeout totals in Single-A are concerning. He's got some of the best power in the minors along with the ability to take a walk but he'll need to cut down on the strikeouts or else he'll be exposed at higher levels.

    Just missing the cut: Devin Mesoraco, Alex Buchholz, Alexis Oliveras, Justin Turner, Juan Francisco, and Chris Dickerson.
    You have Henry to high IMO. I wouldn't have Waring in the top 10 either with the holes in his offensive game.

  5. #4
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    You have Henry to high IMO. I wouldn't have Waring in the top 10 either with the holes in his offensive game.
    Yeah I just kind of threw it together after the top four because of the big drop off. Juan Duran will eventually rank near the top of this list IMO but I left him low for right now because the lack of experience.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    536

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Mainly agree OBM. I'd still put Frazier ahead of Soto right now but that could change if he keeps tearing it up until the end of the year. I don't rank Duran in anything right now, too much of an unknown, maybe when he starts playing in the states. mth is right though, there's a big gap between the top (plus Valaika for me) and the rest which shows the main weakness in the system right now.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    410

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Personally, I'd stick Heisey in the Top 10 somewhere, possibly over Duran and Waring, he at least deserved an honorable mention.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    My top 10

    1. Todd Frazier .304 avg 13 HR's 52 RBI's

    2. Yonder Alonso ? to be proven

    3. Chris Valaika .318 avg 15 HR's 59 RBI's.

    4. Neftali Soto Off to great start.

    5. Juan Francisco 12 HR's 97 hits 55 RBI's

    6. Sean Henry .316 avg 55 runs 54 RBI's

    7. Danny Dorn 11 HR's 54 hits 30 extra base hits.

    8. Justin Turner .302 avg 50 runs, 41 RBI's.

    9. Chris Heisey 93 hits in 92 games. 27 Doubles, 56 runs.

    10. Shaun Cumberland .291 avg 58 runs, 30 RBI's


    __________________

  9. #8
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Well done OBM. I like it.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    At this point, the top 3 are all that matter and the only ones who are definite major leaguers at this point.
    Who's on first?

  11. #10
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    In my opinion Soto is an untouchable at this point, his bat speed reminds me of Eric the Red.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,178

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Soto had only 2 homers at the GCL level last year. Sarasota ballpark is not an easy hitter's park but 2 is 2. He had an .809 OPS. I know, he got hurt at some point.

    This year he hit 4 homers at Billings, a good hitters' league. He has 1 at Dayton so far. He's OPSing over 1.000 across both the Pioneer and Midwest Leagues and clearly is very advanced for his age. Very.

    But Soto only has 100 at bats this year, let's give this a little time before enshrining him. He's a top ten Reds prospect, but let's not plan the trip to Cooperstown quite yet.

    Finally, I know that Francisco has a plate discipline problem but he is a serious power prospect with great tools. Putting him behind guys like Cumberland and Henry as an offensive prospect is, well, highly debatable.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2008 at 01:31 PM.

  13. #12
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Soto had only 2 homers at the GCL level last year. Sarasota ballpark is not an easy hitter's park but 2 is 2. He had an .809 OPS. I know, he got hurt at some point.

    This year he hit 4 homers at Billings, a good hitters' league. He has 1 at Dayton so far. He's OPSing over 1.000 across both the Pioneer and Midwest Leagues and clearly is very advanced for his age. Very.

    But Soto only has 100 at bats this year, let's give this a little time before enshrining him. He's a top ten Reds prospect, but let's not plan the trip to Cooperstown quite yet.

    Finally, I know that Francisco has a plate discipline problem but he is a serious power prospect with great tools. Putting him behind guys like Cumberland and Henry as an offensive prospect is, well, highly debatable.
    Normally you don't see many homeruns hit in the GCL. Tough ballparks, the games are played in 95-100 degree heat and most of the players are just out of high school. His OPS in the GCL was only roughly 20 points lower than Jay Bruce's. Judging a player on how much power he hits for in the GCL is a bad way to judge a player.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  14. #13
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,110

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    My list

    1. Alonso
    2. Soto
    3. Frazier

    Gap
    4. Valaika
    5. Francisco
    6. Dorn

    Gap
    7. Stubbs I like his OBP
    8. Henry
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,739

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    1. Yonder Alonso - he hasn't signed yet but I'm confident he will sign and when he does he'll rank as the biggest impact bat in the Reds minor league system IMO. He's got 30 homerun power and a great eye at the plate which will allow him to post high on base percentages throughout his career. I look for him to reach the majors sometime in late 2009.

    2. Neftali Soto - this may come as a surprise to some but I love the potential in Soto's bat. I am a huge Todd Frazier fan but I think Soto has more potential. He's currently hitting .392/.425/.722 - 1.146 OPS between Billings and Dayton and the kid is only 19-years old. He's got power to all fields and doesn't strikeout a lot. His long wiry frame should allow him to develop huge power. IMO he's the best RH in the Reds system since Austin Kearns.

    3. Todd Frazier - A couple months ago Frazier would have ranked #1 on this list after Jay Bruce graduated to the majors but with the drafting of Yonder Alonso and emergence of Neftali Soto he's now third on the list. I like his bat a lot. His solid power and good eye at the plate reminds me of Kevin Youkilis. He looks like he'll be a solid hitter for average and hit 25 homeruns while drawing plenty of walks. He could end up at 3B, 1B, or LF, it doesn't matter, his bat should play anywhere.

    4. Chris Valaika - Valaika reminds me so much of Michael Young from the Rangers. Similar size, both are average shortstops, and they even went to the same college and their minor league stats are very similar. Valaika has decent power and hits for average and could be ready for the majors sometime in 2009.

    5. Sean Henry - Henry is a smallish (5'10" 180) 22-year old outfielder the Reds acquired from the Mets last August for Jeff Conine. He's currently hitting .320/.394/.498 - .892 OPS with AA Chattanooga. He may never be a star but he seems to be putting it together and could develop into a fine 4th outfielder for the Reds within the next couple years, and Reds fans know we could use solid bench players.

    6. Shaun Cumberland - another guy who was acquired last year as a throw in in the Jorge Cantu deal. He'll soon turn 24 and is currently hitting .291/.375/.449 - .825 OPS between Chattanooga and Louisville. Like Henry, he may never develop into a star but he could be a very good backup outfielder or even a starter. He's got a solid eye at the plate and can play all three outfield positions.

    7. Drew Stubbs - I love the defense Drew Stubbs provides but this is all about the bat. I like his ability to draw a walk and steal bases but his lack of power so far is what has him so low. If he can start showing more power in Chattanooga then he'll get bumped up a few spots on this list at the end of the season.

    8. Juan Duran - this is based on ability alone as Duran only has some 40 atbats or so in the Dominican Summer League. He's got the potential to jump to the top of this list in a couple of seasons with all the talent he's got. His unbelievable raw power and ability to draw a walk right now is what forced me to put him in the top ten.

    9. Danny Dorn - Dorn has platoon player written all over him as he crushes right handed pitchers but struggles mightily against lefties. He's currently hitting .286/.369/.557 against RHP in AA Chattanooga. He's another guy who could reach the majors sometime in 2009 and provide the Reds with a solid bat off the bench.

    10. Brandon Waring - I love the huge power Waring brings to the table but his high strikeout totals in Single-A are concerning. He's got some of the best power in the minors along with the ability to take a walk but he'll need to cut down on the strikeouts or else he'll be exposed at higher levels.

    Just missing the cut: Devin Mesoraco, Alex Buchholz, Alexis Oliveras, Justin Turner, Juan Francisco, and Chris Dickerson.
    Not a bad list. IMO there is a HUGE dropoff after Valaika. You're basically looking at major league starters (and possibly even All-Stars) on one side and major league fringe guys on the other.

    Hopefully one day Stubbs and Duran can close that gap, but Stubbs is running out of time (he needs to have a great year in AA) and with Duran, there is so much time that it is hard to evaluate him at this point. Dorn could close the gap if he ever learned how to hit lefties, but that looks doubtful at this point. Henry and Cumberland look to be no more than backups at the major league level. Waring and Francisco need to refine their approach at the plate before their major league projections can be considered.
    Go BLUE!!!

  16. #15
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

    I'm thrilled to have guys like Sean Henry and Shaun Cumberland in the organization. Those guys are looking like major league caliber fringe starters/good fourth outfielders and good teams need players like that. Imagine actually having solid backups to come off the bench as opposed to guys like Norris Hopper and Corey Patterson. That is very important IMO. How many times this year have the Reds had runners on and in need of a pinch hitter only to see Patterson or Hopper fail at the plate? I look forward to soon having a good bench again like the 1999 Reds did.
    I miss Adam Dunn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25