Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

Re: My ranking of the Reds top 10 hitting prospects

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Now looking at the numbers

Player K rate BB rate
    Waring 36.2% 9%
    Francisco 23.1% 3%

The fact that Waring is walking at an OK rate indicates he is laying off the really bad pitches but is still striking out at an alarming rate. This would indicate to me he has a either a really long swing or a slow bat or both.

Franciso on the other hand appears to be swinging at everything but is still making contact at a better rate than Waring.

So with that being said I believe Francisco can become a more effective player by controlling the strike zone better. Being that strike zone control is a skill that improves as players get older I think there is a chance he can get better. Waring seems to be aflicted with stike zone control and a slow bat/long swing which I think is much more to fix.

Now throw in that Franciso is 1.5 years younger and a level higher I think its a Big edge for Francisco. Honestly though I really doubt either player will make much of an impact at the major league level.

Good post and I agree with much of that. Part of the equation for me is that Francisco is younger, has a A- HR title under his belt and was in the Baseball America top 10 list prior to the season. Those credentials make me think he would be a tasty piece in a prospect package. Looking at the strengths and warts of each player, I think there is a decent chance that Waring could just as easily advance past Francisco as the other way around. So, lets deal the one that may help bring back the player we want to target while rolling the dice with the other (knowing all along young major leaguers EdE and Votto are in place and that Frazier, Soto, Alonso and maybe Valaika are ahead of both these guys as future corner infielders).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

What about Yorman Rodgriguez? If Duran is on the list, shouldn't he be as well?

yorman hasnt signed yet
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Quote Originally Posted by UGADaddy View Post
    yorman hasnt signed yet
    Gotcha. If he does, where does he rank?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Gotcha. If he does, where does he rank?
    i'm not sure because he will be 16 in august, but i think he has been compared to carlos beltran... that would be nice!
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UGADaddy View Post
    i'm not sure because he will be 16 in august, but i think he has been compared to carlos beltran... that would be nice!
    I think it was actually Miguel Cabrera.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I think it was actually Miguel Cabrera.
    even better

Just curiously, when was the last time the Reds had this many good solid hitting prospects in the minors? 1999? Dunn and Kearns 1984? Davis, Larkin, Daniels. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Just curiously, when was the last time the Reds had this many good solid hitting prospects in the minors? 1999? Dunn and Kearns 1984? Davis, Larkin, Daniels. Just curious.
    hitting prospects were better just last year (Bruce and Votto)

unless they sign Alonso, this group looks like it might be a bunch of 'tweeners-- several prospects with bat enough for positions that each can't play.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

My top 20:

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Todd Frazier
    3. Neftali Soto
    4. Chris Valaika

5. Drew Stubbs
    6. Devin Mesoraco
    7. Sean Henry
    8. Juan Francisco
    9. Shaun Cumberland

10. Brandon Waring
    11. Zach Cozart
    12. Chris Dickerson
    13. Danny Dorn
    14. Alex Buchholz
    15. Justin Reed
    16. Chris Heisey
    17. Justin Turner
    18. Tony Brown
    19. Alexis Oliveras
    20. Adam Rosales

Keep an eye on: Paul Janish, Ryan Hanigan (AAA), Eric Eymann, Tonys Gutierrez (AA), Logan Parker (Hi-A), Byron Wiley, Dave Sappelt, Jordan Wideman, Kyle Day, Michael Konstanty, Tyler Stovall (Rookie-Pioneer, Billings), and Efrain Rodriguez (Rookie-GCL).
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 07-29-2008 at 12:56 PM.

That's a nice list. I might flop Stubbs and Francisco (as HITTERS, if not as prospects) and elevate Dorn and Buchholz. Oliveras is pretty intriguing. And I think I'd find a spot for Sappelt. I like him a lot. I think.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    That's a nice list. I might flop Stubbs and Francisco (as HITTERS, if not as prospects) and elevate Dorn and Buchholz. Oliveras is pretty intriguing. And I think I'd find a spot for Sappelt. I like him a lot. I think.
    Thanks. My list is more of a prospect list. If I went strictly by how they were hitting, I'd have Dorn way up there.

Also, keep an eye on Adam Rosales. He's mashing the ball in AAA right now. He started out very slowly, but has an OPS of .885 in June and July (over 220 plate appearances) after going .904 between Hi-A and AA last year. He should probably replace Andy Phillips and Chris Dickerson should obviously replace Patterson on the big club.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=489267

I don't understand what's so tough about making these moves.

Turn Off Ads?