Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody been to Baltimore?

Re: Anybody been to Baltimore?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    No trip to Baltimore is complete without visiting Ft. McHenry.
    Ft McHenry is goosepimply neat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Ahhh, yes. Pickin' crabs is great. One thing is for sure. You'll get drunk before you get full.
    That is true.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I used to have a friend who did some repo work in Baltimore (that's a whole 'nother story) but when I'd go visit him we'd just walk from one corner bar to the next. It seemed like there was a little local bar on almost every corner and all the people were (drunk) friendly and very chatty. Some places had dart boards, others had pool tables, some just TVs and lots of locals. It was always a blast and we met so many interesting people that you'd never see at the Inner Harbor. Anyway, I have done many of the other things mentioned here and recommend Camden Yards (w/Boogs) and the Aquarium, but I really enjoyed the neighborhood pubs as well. Either way, it's a great city and I hope you enjoy your trip there.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Great place to pick up dance moves I find. (Lot of heel work)

Most of the advice above was pretty good. To get to Fells Point, you can take a water taxi from inner harbor. It's fairly cheap.

I've also taken the Baltimore Duck tour. It's a vehicle that goes on land and water and leaves from a spot between the inner harbor mall and the science museum (just a few blocks from your hotel). It's about an 1 and 1/2 hour tour and gives a really good description of Baltimore's downtown area.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Most of the advice above was pretty good. To get to Fells Point, you can take a water taxi from inner harbor. It's fairly cheap.

I've also taken the Baltimore Duck tour. It's a vehicle that goes on land and water and leaves from a spot between the inner harbor mall and the science museum (just a few blocks from your hotel). It's about an 1 and 1/2 hour tour and gives a really good description of Baltimore's downtown area.
    I'll second the duck tour. It's pretty interesting. The one in Boston is good too.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

While duck tours are "touristy" and the locals make fun of you, I always recommend them in these type of cities on your FIRST day. That way, as the driver points out things that look interesting, you'll have an idea of how to spend the rest of your time. It also might help orient you.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    While duck tours are "touristy" and the locals make fun of you, I always recommend them in these type of cities on your FIRST day. That way, as the driver points out things that look interesting, you'll have an idea of how to spend the rest of your time. It also might help orient you.
    But since the locals don't know me, I don't care if they make fun of me.

One of these days I'm going to publish my guide to the United States...a complete guide to the best truck stops and rest areas across the country.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    But since the locals don't know me, I don't care if they make fun of me.
    In that case, why not go streaking at Camden Yards during God Bless America?

I mean, if the local don't know you . . .
    Stick to your guns.

One of these days I'm going to publish my guide to the United States...a complete guide to the best truck stops and rest areas across the country.

You should seriously do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You should seriously do that.
    The best truck stop hands down is in Iowa of all places. Imagine that.

http://www.iowa80truckstop.com/

The best truck stop hands down is in Iowa of all places. Imagine that.

http://www.iowa80truckstop.com/

I think I stopped there once on my way back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I grew up not far from Baltimore and there is TONS to do. Camden Yards is a must; get ready for a lot of Yankee fans though. Make sure to hit up boogs barbecue, with Orioles HOFer serving up some of my favorite ballpark food ever.

Babe Ruth's birthplace is within walking distance of your hotel, and is worth seeing because of what it is. Edgar Allen Poe's Birthplace isn't far away either.

The Inner Harbor is the best place to see a lot of stuff, the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science center are great. Federal Hill is also very close and has some of the best restaurants in the city.

If you can make it to Annapolis; do it! It’s worth the trip, the bay is a sight to see. Need any more suggestions feel free to pm me.

Here's another helpful Baltimore hint--we were in Baltimore last Saturday to go to the aquarium. We got there about 2:30 and the line was long, and the earliest ticket to enter was 5:30--we went and did other things in the Inner Harbor, ate dinner and got to the zoo about 7 (On Saturday nihgt its open until 9:30). The crowd on Saturday night is much smaller thant the rest of the day and you don't have to fight the crowds at that time. The only bad thing about this is that the Dolphin show was all sold out by 2:30 and we didn't get to see it. So if you want to see the Dolphin show, you will need to get to the aquarium early and forget the rest of my post!

And I did hear the following conversation from some locals (whom i refer to Baltimorons) while I was in the ticket line:

LocalMan: Did you get a load of that guy?
    LocalWoman: Who, hon?
    LocalMan: Old Righthander.
    LocalWoman: Who's that hon?
    LocalMan: He's the guy on the duck tour.
    LocalWoman: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. He took the duck tour. What a tool.

Turn Off Ads?