Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Denver questions

Denver questions

For you mile-highers,

I'm taking the boy off to college in Denver next week. We'll probably take in Rocks/Pads one night and since Rockies tix are actually more expensive than Giants tix, was wondering if anyone knows of a great bargain seat in Coors.

We've also got some down time after move-in and and orientation and such. Any recommendations on things to do in Denver when very much alive?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Denver questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    For you mile-highers,

I'm taking the boy off to college in Denver next week. We'll probably take in Rocks/Pads one night and since Rockies tix are actually more expensive than Giants tix, was wondering if anyone knows of a great bargain seat in Coors.

We've also got some down time after move-in and and orientation and such. Any recommendations on things to do in Denver when very much alive?
    You must go golfing in Keystone, Co. There are some great courses there - Keystone Ranch is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    You must go golfing in Keystone, Co. There are some great courses there - Keystone Ranch is my favorite.
    The Arrowhead course is breathtaking. Among the red rocks, unreal setting.

This restaurant was very cool.
    http://www.rodiziogrill.com/
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Golf?

I'd go hiking in the Ricky Mountain National Park myself.

But that's because I don't golf.

Or I'd PM Chili... he lives there and he doesn't golf either.

I don't golf either. WOY, I don't know if we have time for the Ricky Mountains. I'm looking for something to do in the city itself. But thanks for the headsup on chili.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Rojo,

I sent you a pm that has all the Coors Field info on it. I've put that at the bottom for others who might want to catch a Rockies game.

As for things to do, I agree with WOY that if you have time (hour and 45 minutes each way), I'd drive to Rocky Mountain Naitonal Park. Even if you don't have time to hike, you can drive up trail ridge road, enjoy the mountain air, look at the tundras and the glaciers.

If you do like to hike, but don't have time to drive that far, then Golden Gate Canyon State park is a good compromise. It's only a 50 minute drive each way, has nice views of the continental divide, and intermediate level hikes that will only take a few hours. It's only $7/car load to enter the park. Plus you can bring pets! So if you find a stray dog during your stay, take him hikiing!

If you absolutely don't have time to go to the mountains or prefer to do city stuff, then it really depends what you're into and where you'll be staying. The local museums are quite good. I live by the art museum, and it's worth going just for the building itself, even if you're not a huge artsy guy. It's this contemporary monstrosity that somewhat resembles a star destroyer from the George Lucas movies. But it's very well laid out, so there will be one floor of contemporary, one floor of American Indian, one floor of Europe, one floor from the far east, etc. Start at the top and walk down. If the floor bores you, skip it.

The Colo. History museum is right across the street. These museums are about a 1.25 mile walk from Coors Field, and is perfectly safe during the day. I would consider the walk from Coors to the nearby hotels to be pretty safe 24/7, just keep your eyes open for drunks. My 'hood (near the museums/capital building) scares some people at night. I live dangerously.

If you're into zoos, a lot of tourists seem to like ours. I'm not a big zoo guy, but it's not bad. It borders city park and also the natural history museum (which has an I-max for the kids). This area is not walkable from Coors field, unless you're an ambitious walker (in which case you should be hiking in the MOUNTAINS, rather than through plain-jane Denver 'hoods).

The Molly Brown museum (as in the lady on the Titanic) is practically right next door to my place, but I've never gone. It's about 7 blocks from the art museum. I haven't gone, because the hours are limited and I'm usually working.

I know you have a kid and kids usually like amusement parks. Elitch Gardens is no Kings Island, but it's right downtown, which I think makes it unique.

If you have time, go to Boulder (25 miles away). It's a really nice town that's usually a few degrees cooler than Denver in the summer, and is quite a bit closer to the mountains. I recommend a picnic or walk through Chatauqua park. Great views of the flatirons above and the town below.

In terms of food, if you tell me what you like (Italian, steak, Ethiopian, whatever), I can do some research for you (or personal views) in either Denver or Boulder.

Enjoy your stay. If you're coming out after July 30 (bar exam), and have time to say hello, pls. let me know which game you're going to. I might be going to. I realize family time is limited, but I could say hello during an inning or two.

Prior to the bar exam, I'm not really leaving my apartment, except for air.

COORS FIELD:

In many ways, they've closed the "demand gaps." It used to be that the Pavilion seats in left field were much more favorably priced than any seat as close to the field anywhere else. Not anymore.

Wherever you sit, I think you'll find the park very walkable, with great concourse views. I encourage you to either come early or spend a couple innings walking around. Having been in Boston for 3 years, and gotten standing room tickets a few times for Fenway games, I really appreciate the difference.

If you're going to a day game in the summer time, and if you sit down the first base line, you'll be looking into the sun. One of these days a visiting first baseman is going to get brained on a pickoff throw. It's really hard for them to see the ball.

Here's a link to the seating chart. You can click on the seats to get an approximate view of the field.

In night games, I think sections 318 and 319 are a good value. You're pretty much mid way between first base and the right field foul pole, not too far up, but far enough up that you can see the sun set over the mountains. As long as it's not a "premium" game (fireworks, etc., I believe they're around $20. They price list says $16-$40, but I think the $16 tickets are strictly when school is in session, and the high-end tix are all specialty games.

These are still good seats in the day time, but bring sunscreen and sunglasses.

In day games, if you can swing it, the rightfield box seats are about $30 most of the year. See if you can get a ticket about 10 rows back or more. If so, you'll be in the shade, which is key. But you'll also only be 10 rows behind Brad Hawpe. Drawback to these seats: you can't see the hand-operated out of town scoreboard (it's right underneath you). You can, however, see the jumbotron to your right.

You might have heard about rockpile tickets ($4/each, usually day of game only). Can't beat the price, but you're WAY, WAY out there. If cost is an issue, and if you're son is young enough not to give a hoot about the finer details of baseball, this might be the way to go. You'll still be allowed to walk elsewhere in the park, so long as you don't try to "upgrade" and sit elsewhere.

If you're looking to save money, you can bring your own food and drinks (no aluminum, no glass, no alcohol). Bring/buy lots of liquid at altitude, so not to get a dehydration headache and ruin your vacation.

ON THE OTHER HAND: The entrance gates generally have two lines: one for those with bags/purses/small soft coolers and one without. I've waited 20-30 minutes before in the search-your-bag line, whereas you fly right in in the other line. So if you're going to bring your own grub, come reasonably early.

In terms of before/after the game, there are a ton of microbreweries and trendy bars in the area. Beer aficionados (which I am not) all have their favorites. I flock to the ones that are less crowded, unless my friends insist otherwise. I will say that a dive bar on Blake St. (between 19th/20th) called Swanky's serves frozen white russians (Big Lebowskis) that really hit the spot on a hot day.
    Stick to your guns.

16th street mall right in the heart of downtown. Anywhere in lodo on market and Blake, wazee, etc. Kick ass bar on the 27th floor of the hyatt next to the convention centre. Great views. Capital hill during the day, even parts of colfax offer good idea of the local feel.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Things I noticed about Denver in my 2 short visits there. Carry a bottle of water with you everywhere, I got thirsty when I landed and could never quench my thirst the entire time I was there...I think I was drinking a couple gallons a day. Watch the sunset on the mountains from what seemed like almost anywhere in the city...incredible! Words cannot describe it.

We had flown in with a co-worker who is a real gym rat, mid-twenties, lifts weights, and takes great pride in his physical fitness. One of the local guys was a mildly overweight (big gut)guy in his mid forties and we had to walk up four flights of stairs to get where we were going. At the top, I thought it was hilarious to see the out of shape guy talking to the athletic guy as if nothing had happened while the athletic guy gasped for air as if he'd just finished a marathon. Altitude does funny things if you're not acclimated to it.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Last year, I visited the Mine Museum in Golden. It was fairly interesting--and the Coors Brewery is down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post

We had flown in with a co-worker who is a real gym rat, mid-twenties, lifts weights, and takes great pride in his physical fitness. One of the local guys was a mildly overweight (big gut)guy in his mid forties and we had to walk up four flights of stairs to get where we were going. At the top, I thought it was hilarious to see the out of shape guy talking to the athletic guy as if nothing had happened while the athletic guy gasped for air as if he'd just finished a marathon. Altitude does funny things if you're not acclimated to it.
    Keep this in mind when you drink alcohol out here. It cuts some people's tolerance roughly in half.

I'll start a thread when it gets closer, but if any of you will be at the Reds/Rockies series at Coors in August, I'll be at the Friday game. Possibly the Sunday game too.
    Stick to your guns.

Chili, I will hopefully make all 3 games. Just started a new job, so not entirely sure. But I plan on it.

And the sunsets here over the mountains are the best and something to behold as someone else pointed out.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'll be in section 151 on Friday the 22nd (in the Pavilion). As we get closer, I'll pm you w/cell phone, etc. I'd like to say hello.

I'm highly unlikely on Saturday, and unlikely for Sunday.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?