Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You make the call: trade Jay Bruce for Josh Hamilton as it stands?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

You make the call: trade Jay Bruce for Josh Hamilton as it stands?

You are our GM and Castellini has given you the grace to trade with the Texas Rangers to re-acquire Josh Hamilton. You have to look into the future and predict what is going to happen. The future health of the franchise long-term and your job rides heavily on this trade.

Texas will do the deal if you'd like. It is entirely up to you as GM. Do you choose to trade 21-year old mega prospect Jay Bruce for 27 year old Josh Hamilton straight up as it stands now?

You might be robbed of 5 years of production (assuming both will sign LTC with the Reds and remain with them for their entire career) if you pick up Hamilton.

Taking EVERYTHING into consideration, do you make this trade?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You make the call: trade Jay Bruce for Josh Hamilton as it stands?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    You are our GM and Castellini has given you the grace to trade with the Texas Rangers to re-acquire Josh Hamilton. You have to look into the future and predict what is going to happen. The future health of the franchise long-term and your job rides heavily on this trade.

Texas will do the deal if you'd like. It is entirely up to you as GM. Do you choose to trade 21-year old mega prospect Jay Bruce for 27 year old Josh Hamilton straight up as it stands now?

You might be robbed of 5 years of production (assuming both will sign LTC with the Reds and remain with them for their entire career) if you pick up Hamilton.

Taking EVERYTHING into consideration, do you make this trade?
    I love Josh Hamilton, and I think he's the real McCoy, but I'm going to have to say no, personally.

There are too many unknown variables surrounding Hamilton. Will he relapse? Is he always going to need to be on a short leash? Due to the abuse he's gone through, how will he go through the age progression? I'm convinced he's legit, but will he continue this production?

So many questions I have about him. I still think I'd take Jay Bruce because of the age and enormous ability. Both players have balls jump off the bat like very few players around, and perhaps Hamilton has as much pop as anyone in the league, but while I'd be tempted (as of today) to take Hamilton (obviously), the future is bright enough for Bruce and uncertain enough for Josh that I'd still take Bruce.
    Last edited by Brutus; 07-16-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Absolutely no. It is not just the 5 years, it is that Hamilton's body will break down faster because of his past. I think best case scenario for Hamilton is that he has 4-5 more good years. Mantle's stopped having solid years after age 32, and had a few weak ones before that. And he only drank.

We are probably seeing the worst Bruce will ever be right now. I see him putting up Hamilton type numbers for a long time. As long as the Reds are committed to keeping Bruce past his free agent years, than I would take him over Hamilton.

I'm holding my answer for a bit until good discussion gets going on this.

But I just wanted to say that Brutus and 757690 each had awesome posts I thought.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hamilton's body will break down faster because of his past. I think best case scenario for Hamilton is that he has 4-5 more good years. Mantle's stopped having solid years after age 32, and had a few weak ones before that. And he only drank.
    I don't think this is accurate. Mantle drank more and more and by the time he was in his 30s was an all out lush. Hamilton, on the other hand, has been cold turkey for 2 or 3 years now. His heroin usage in his early 20s should not affect his performance in the future.

I'll take the trade.

Absolutely not! I would love to have Hamilton on my team as long as he is cheap and under the teams control or in arbitration; but i don't want to give him a long term contract. He lives very carefully because he is worried that he may relapse or want not be able to control himself. That's not the type of player I would want to have long term.

Uh no

I think it is tough for a lot of Reds fans to pull the trigger on this trade so it may have been a bad question to ask. I think it is tough because the reality is, we have Jay Bruce. We probably like him more. He is a Red and he IS the future, while Hamilton is gone. But just in terms of what you see now with Hamilton and what you can see down the road with Bruce. Can you have visions of him doing the things Hamilton does? I was just thinking about this over the AS break.

So far we have 5-no and 1-yes

Since Bruce has come up, I have thought of him like a poor man's Josh Hamilton. That being said, he is also 5 or 6 years younger. His potential is enormous and despite the fact that having Josh Hamilton would be terrific, Bruce has too much potential for him to be traded.

No, but I'd give Dunn for him

No, but I'd give Dunn for him

I'd give Dunn and pay his salary.

Josh Hamilton in a heartbeat.

Jay Bruce
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?