Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Francisco Cordero

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Francisco Cordero

Sucks. I have tried to defend him and the money we allocated to him but I cannot do it anymore. It was a horrible signing and he is an awful closer. If we can find an actual contender to take him off our hands I suggest we do it with expediency.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 07-18-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Francisco Cordero

Exaggerate much? Seems to me the fair-weathers all flock together around here...
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Are you kidding me?! He has his first HORRIBLE night of the whole season tonight and you're ready to throw him to the wolves for it. I shouldn't be surprised that the 'dump Cordero' thread is all ready on the board but I guess I am anyway. :thumbdown

I guess this is all Dusty's fault though because everything is his fault on this board even when he's not the one throwing bad pitches in the 9th inning. *is grumpy because of the game and the usual fan overreactions*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Exaggerate much? Seems to me the fair-weathers all flock together around here...
    Please find another post in which I exhibited "fair weather" tendencies. Instead of ad hominem arguments, please debate the content of my post.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

hes only had 2 blown saves that he hasnt had 2 pithch 3 straight days

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Are you kidding me?! He has his first HORRIBLE night of the whole season tonight and you're ready to throw him to the wolves for it. I shouldn't be surprised that the 'dump Cordero' thread is all ready on the board but I guess I am anyway. :thumbdown

I guess this is all Dusty's fault though because everything is his fault on this board even when he's not the one throwing bad pitches in the 9th inning. *is grumpy because of the game and the usual fan overreactions*
    19 - 25 in save opps. 12 mil/year. Weathers was far from traffic-stopping last year but even he saved 84% of his chances over an entire season. And I said nothing about Dusty Baker.

Certainly it is not Cordero's fault that we overpaid for him but certainly you must acknowledge that we were sold a bill of goods.

got alil captain in u?

Im not saying dump Cordero but for 48 million he needs to pitch better than this. Even in his saves there's men on base, too many walks given up. He's plagued by the same disease that hits all reds pitchers, throwing to many good pitches when their ahead in the count.

He's blown five saves now in 25 tries, He walks to many batters as well. Im not ready to take away the closer spot yet but he's on the hot seat. Anymore blown saves in the next few weeks and in my opinion he needs to be demoted to setup and let Burton close em.

P.S. Wanna see a good closer watch Wagner!

Coming into tonight Reds 34-1 after leading thru 7 innings. Quit bellyaching. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    Im not saying dump Cordero but for 48 million he needs to pitch better than this. Even in his saves there's men on base, too many walks given up. He's plagued by the same disease that hits all reds pitchers, throwing to many good pitches when their ahead in the count.
    Exactly, nothing like a get ahead fastball on a 1-2 count. Some of it might have to do with the horrible job our catchers do of blocking balls in the dirt.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Please find another post in which I exhibited "fair weather" tendencies. Instead of ad hominem arguments, please debate the content of my post.
    Sorry, but ten minutes after he blows a save there's already a couple threads created telling us how he is a waste of money and a roster spot. Why not post this some other time, perhaps when he is saving a game (which he usually is), instead of after he immediately blows one? Not everybody is Eric Gagne circa 2004-2005. Blown saves happen, even to the best of them. Hell, K-Rod blew a save the game before the All Star game.

I just think you reacted to fast and got caught up in the moment. Let the game be over first and let cooler heads appeal.
    -Steve Stone

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by major harris View Post
    Coming into tonight Reds 34-1 after leading thru 7 innings. Quit bellyaching. It happens.
    Yes but games like these demoralize teams when they continue to come back to get the lead and have it blown by their closers.

Cordero is not on the hot seat. He has underpreformed but there is no doubt that hes the best player we have for the closer role. All closers not named mariano rivera go through tough stretches. Dissapoingting loss tonight for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Sorry, but ten minutes after he blows a save there's already a couple threads created telling us how he is a waste of money and a roster spot. Why not post this some other time, perhaps when he is saving a game (which he usually is), instead of after he immediately blows one? Not everybody is Eric Gagne circa 2004-2005. Blown saves happen, even to the best of them. Hell, K-Rod blew a save the game before the All Star game.

I just think you reacted to fast and got caught up in the moment. Let the game be over first and let cooler heads appeal.

The game is over and my opinion has not changed. Francisco Cordero is not worth the money we paid him. You don't deserve 48 million dollars to save 4 out of every 5 games. A save is not really that hard to get in most instances - you get at least a one run lead; oftentimes 2 (such as tonight) and in some cases 3. All the closer needs to do is get 3 outs. Schoeneweis did a better job 2 years ago. Scott Schoeneweis. Weathers was better at it last year. But we pay Cordero 48 mil to do this job and he's worse than anyone we've had since post-98 Degrees Danny Graves. Yeah, I think it's okay to complain about that. Tonight was a crushing blow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    19 - 25 in save opps. 12 mil/year. Weathers was far from traffic-stopping last year but even he saved 84% of his chances over an entire season. And I said nothing about Dusty Baker.

Certainly it is not Cordero's fault that we overpaid for him but certainly you must acknowledge that we were sold a bill of goods.
    I hate the Weathers argument. The guy was running on fumes and hit the jackpot by having a career year, lots of which was by luck, for a craptastic 2007 Reds team. Stick him in there now, lets see what happens. Here's a hint, they'll be a couple 'Bring Back Cordero' threads minutes after his first save opporunity.

And for the record, I hate the idea of sticking Burton as the closer too. Yes, he's been our best reliever to date, but there's a difference between ending the 7th or 8th, and closing the 9th. So much of a difference that one guy gets minimum MLB salary and the other guy can afford to buy the 40 man roster a Morton's Delmonico everynight? Probably not, but there's a reason everyteam is paying that closer millions while the unheard of setup man makes pennies and nickels in comparison.
    -Steve Stone

Turn Off Ads?