Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home runs at GABP

Home runs at GABP

Tonight, in this awful loss to the Mets, several home runs were just regular long fly balls. On days like this, it's really arena baseball in this stadium. Tatis' homer. Wright's homer.

It's hard for me to figure out the overall impact of this stadium. I know that teams don't necessarily score more there. But in terms of homers, it must be pretty frustrating pitching in this ballpark.

I'm starting to think that the team should invest in a plan to neutralize the stadium a bit. It's hard to see any pitcher wanting to come to the Reds.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2008 at 11:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Home runs at GABP

I'm sick to death of blaming the stadium. The Reds could win the WS 10 years in a row in GABP if they're smart.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm sick to death of blaming the stadium. The Reds could win the WS 10 years in a row in GABP if they're smart.
    Did you watch the game?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Totally agree. The dimensions of the stadium are reasonable, but long fly balls are long fly balls. Most of the homers at GABP would be homers anywhere. I'd like to see a statistic on that, but I'm sure there isn't one.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Tonight, in this awful loss to the Mets, several home runs were just regular long fly balls. On days like this, it's really arena baseball in this stadium. Tatis' homer. Wright's homer.

It's hard for me to figure out the overall impact of this stadium. I know that teams don't necessarily score more there. But in terms of homers, it must be pretty frustrating pitching in this ballpark.

I'm starting to think that the team should invest in a plan to neutralize the stadium a bit. It's hard to see any pitcher wanting to come to the Reds.
    Build a "Red Monster" in right field and elevate the sun deck?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Did you watch the game?
    I saw Billy Wagner retire the side in the ninth if that's what you're asking.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Both teams have to play in the same stadium, however, the Reds get to build their team to play in the park...

I saw Billy Wagner retire the side in the ninth if that's what you're asking.
    Did you watch the balls that were hit out of the park by the Mets? The Wright homer was not even hit very well. The balls were definitely jumpin' tonight.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Did you watch the balls that were hit out of the park by the Mets? The Wright homer was not even hit very well. The balls were definitely jumpin' tonight.
    I agree, That was a pretty weak dinger. So was the Tatis HR.

It must be nice to have hitter's that go the other way and expose that part of the park on a night like tonight.

I guess you could make the argument that the Reds might want to look into more groundball pitchers or possibly keep the infield grass higher, but at the same time, the ball flies out of numerous ballparks in baseball - Yankee Stadium (for LHH), Camden Yards, Coors Field, Wrigley when the wind blows out, and those teams manage to put together good seasons.

That said, one thing to keep in mind is that the Reds offense has been anemic for the better part of the season, and any change which shifted the park to a less-friendly offensive park would also significantly hurt a subpar offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree, That was a pretty weak dinger. So was the Tatis HR.

It must be nice to have hitter's that go the other way and expose that part of the park on a night like tonight.
    Cordero wasn't his usual self tonight either. Maybe the rest hurt him. Wasn't the last time he pitched on Saturday? That's a long time off.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post

That said, one thing to keep in mind is that the Reds offense has been anemic for the better part of the season, and any change which shifted the park to a less-friendly offensive park would also significantly hurt a subpar offense.
    I don't think it's that simple. One approach is to fix the stadium so it plays more like normal baseball. That should help the Reds adapt on the road. It also should help them attract some pitchers.

The other approach is to build a team for GABP. Such a team does not need guys who hit the ball 600 feet. You don't need huge power in GABP. The Reds should stress line drive hitters. They will hit their share of homers anyway at GABP. And they will adapt better in the larger stadiums since the offense won't be so home run dependent.

And Reds need high strikeout pitchers and ground ball pitchers. And, if they get ground ball pitchers, Reds need super infield defense, which they don't have.

Line drive hitters, strikeout and ground ball pitchers, superb infield defense.

I don't know the full impact of this stadium but what I saw tonight was ridiculous. The Mets got to Cueto and Cordero with cheap homers and one can only guess what impact that has on a pitcher and a team.

Anyone who thinks this is just regular baseball in a regular stadium is IMO incorrect.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2008 at 11:58 PM.

They need to figure out a way to make GABP be more like Riverfront was.Riverfront was also a launching pad but you did'nt get no give me homeruns in that park..You had to earn it!!! They need to move the walls back or something b/c hitting a homerun in this park looks very easy.I agree as long as the ballpark stays the same the reds will keep losing out on free agent pitchers that can single handly carry a team on their shoulders b/c they will not want to pitch in this ballpark.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 07-18-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Those were cheap. I was just waiting for the screams that Junior should have had that, the bum. Fortunately, it went above the wall, hitting a fan and what appeared to be a catchable ball was not.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

If the Rockies can reach the world series then we have nothing to worry about.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?