Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Reds buy themselves more time?

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Did the Reds buy themselves more time?

3-3 at worst on the road against in my opinion the two best teams in the NL. I wouldn't give up yet, give them through the home stand after the break and see where they stand. If your somehow within 3-4 games of the wc I play it out.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did the Reds buy themselves more time?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    3-3 at worst on the road against in my opinion the two best teams in the NL. I wouldn't give up yet, give them through the home stand after the break and see where they stand. If your somehow within 3-4 games of the wc I play it out.
    As much as I believe, down deep in my heart, that it's a pipe dream to believe we have any chance at the wild card, I think this makes sense.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Regardless of what ultimately ends up happening, it's great the Reds are playing better. It should (in theory) mean that for the Reds to sell, they should expect better offers since they are close(r) to contention.

Outside of that series with the Mets after the break, the Reds play a lot of mediocre teams to follow. I would definitely say there is no need to rush into being buyers or sellers just yet. See where the Reds (and the rest of the division) are in 2 weeks and make a decision then.

I know that I am probably drinking the annual Reds in contention kool aid, but if Harang can somehow come back to be what we expect....things could be very interesting for the Reds in the second half

From what we have seen/heard from RCast, I would say yes.

The Reds are now 37-37 since Krivsky was let go.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This looks like a second half team to me...

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Regardless of what ultimately ends up happening, it's great the Reds are playing better. It should (in theory) mean that for the Reds to sell, they should expect better offers since they are close(r) to contention.

Outside of that series with the Mets after the break, the Reds play a lot of mediocre teams to follow. I would definitely say there is no need to rush into being buyers or sellers just yet. See where the Reds (and the rest of the division) are in 2 weeks and make a decision then.

i agree 100% in not rushing to sell. we will know for sure in the next 2 weeks if this team has any chance at all. if they can win 3 or sweep the mets they may become buyers real quick. it looks like they could be no worse than 7 back in the WC at the break. a win on sunday and we have a shot at only being 5 out. considering we have gotten nothing out of harang this year its amazing to think we are that close.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

As odd as it sounds, the best thing that could've happened to this team was to get beat down during this road trip. Then they wouldn't have been deluded into thinking this team had a real shot to compete. Now I'm worried that they may actually think they're buyers instead of sellers, which could lead to the wrong sort of moves to help this club contend in the future.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow if the Reds go 7-3 on the 10 game home stand and don't try to make the WC I'll be one pissed off Reds fan.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    Regardless of what happens tomorrow if the Reds go 7-3 on the 10 game home stand and don't try to make the WC I'll be one pissed off Reds fan.

you and me both. i'm tired of trying to build everything for a future that never gets here. if their in striking distance go for it. its been a long time since we had this much good pitching. i'm all about making the right moves but we must try if in the position to go for it.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    As odd as it sounds, the best thing that could've happened to this team was to get beat down during this road trip. Then they wouldn't have been deluded into thinking this team had a real shot to compete. Now I'm worried that they may actually think they're buyers instead of sellers, which could lead to the wrong sort of moves to help this club contend in the future.
    Nah. There is a youthful core already on this team and I'd prefer they get exposed to winning rather than "beatdowns."

Of course, I do NOT want us selling the farm to try to get help to make a run this year, but on the other hand, I see no real reason to rush into being "sellers" at this point either.

Let's just be totally honest here-- we aren't going to get franchise altering/impact prospects for guys like Weathers and Ross. Whatever we can get for them now, we'll still be able to get at the deadline. And it only makes sense to wait it out with the other guys.

And it's not JUST about THIS year. If the team shows signs that they could compete NEXT year at a fairly high level, then it would certainly sway my decision-making process on who we trade right now. If the Reds look like a team that can make a nice run in 2009, I'll be in much less of a hurry to trade a guy like Arroyo.

Wait it out...see what happens over the next few weeks. No harm in that.

Geez, the Reds play two series against teams with winning records from July 17 to August 15th. Including playing some just terrible teams.

3 against the Padres
    3 against the Rockies
    7 against the Astros
    3 against the Nationals
    3 against the Pirates
    4 against the Mets
    3 against the Brewers

The next 26 games give the Reds a chance to make a move. A reds loss tomorrow puts them 4 under, if they go 16-10 in those games (which is very reasonable) they are 2 over with a month and a half to go.
    Last edited by redsfaninbsg; 07-13-2008 at 01:22 AM.

I hope the Mets win tomorrow so they come in here with a 9 game winnings streak. That, in addition to the three day break, should increase the law of averages that we might post a good series against those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I hope the Mets win tomorrow so they come in here with a 9 game winnings streak. That, in addition to the three day break, should increase the law of averages that we might post a good series against those guys.
    Sarcasm? That's not how the "law of averages" (or logic, for that matter) works...

Turn Off Ads?