Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,805

    The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    at this point, now that the Phillies have acquired Blanton. From Jon Heyman's article (and mlbtraderumors) today:

    # Given Richie Sexson's expected part-time role, the Yankees are in the market for an everyday outfielder to replace Hideki Matsui's bat. Barry Bonds is not under consideration. Heyman tosses out names such as Matt Holliday, Xavier Nady, Jason Bay, and Adam Dunn, while noting that the price on most is too high (the Pirates deny this).
    # The Yanks are also looking to add a #3-4 starter type. Here's a look at the market.

    So what if we killed two birds with one stone? What if we traded Adam Dunn and Bronson Arroyo for Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Jesus Montero? Would that be enough? Would that be too much? What do you think?
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,934

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    at this point, now that the Phillies have acquired Blanton. From Jon Heyman's article (and mlbtraderumors) today:

    # Given Richie Sexson's expected part-time role, the Yankees are in the market for an everyday outfielder to replace Hideki Matsui's bat. Barry Bonds is not under consideration. Heyman tosses out names such as Matt Holliday, Xavier Nady, Jason Bay, and Adam Dunn, while noting that the price on most is too high (the Pirates deny this).
    # The Yanks are also looking to add a #3-4 starter type. Here's a look at the market.

    So what if we killed two birds with one stone? What if we traded Adam Dunn and Bronson Arroyo for Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Jesus Montero? Would that be enough? Would that be too much? What do you think?
    That would probably be way too much coming back from the Yankees. Cashman has been pretty explicit in not wanting to empty the minors to make a run. That said, I love the idea and agree that the Yankees are a pretty good fit for that pair. If only we could get the Yanks and Sox in to a mini bidding war for Dunn's services.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,805

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That would probably be way too much coming back from the Yankees. Cashman has been pretty explicit in not wanting to empty the minors to make a run. That said, I love the idea and agree that the Yankees are a pretty good fit for that pair. If only we could get the Yanks and Sox in to a mini bidding war for Dunn's services.
    Maybe you're right, but you have to figure desperation is starting to set in with the Yankees facing the reality of not making the postseason for the first time in nearly a decade. And we know how desperation sits with the family in charge.

    Hughes can't seem to stay healthy, and I'd have to imagine his value has dropped a little from this past offseason, especially with the emergence of Joba as a starter. They also still have Jose Tabata as a top outfield prospect if they give up Jackson. And Austin Romine makes Jesus Montero redundant as a catching prospect. You're probably right that the Yankees may not offer this much, but it's certainly fun to think about the prospects of a trade like this. At the very least, it would free up a lot of $$ to possibly make a run at Sabathia, if the Reds were so inclined.

    Sabathia
    Volquez
    Harang
    Cueto
    Hughes/Thompson/Bailey



    That's a division winning rotation right there.
    Go BLUE!!!

  5. #4
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    What if we traded Adam Dunn and Bronson Arroyo for Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson, and Jesus Montero? Would that be enough? Would that be too much? What do you think?
    Can that one hit a curve ball?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  6. #5
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,601

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That would probably be way too much coming back from the Yankees. Cashman has been pretty explicit in not wanting to empty the minors to make a run. That said, I love the idea and agree that the Yankees are a pretty good fit for that pair. If only we could get the Yanks and Sox in to a mini bidding war for Dunn's services.
    The Sox are always willing to "play ball" to help drive up prices for the Yankees, but I doubt the Yankees would fall for it. Ortiz is already hitting HRs for the PawSox on rehab.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  7. #6
    SSG, Red Army Choir Guacarock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Hughes' broken rib would complicate this proposed deal. Doesn't sound like he'll return off the DL in July. Maybe sometime in August, although September is even a possibility if things go slowly in his rehab.

  8. #7
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    The Mets are a good fit as well. Moises Alou is out for the year. Ryan Church is questionable, Angel Pagan is gimpy and even Trot Nixon is on the DL. As for pitching Pedro Martinez is pitching with a balky groin problem that doesn't seem to be getting better and who knows about El Duque. If the team is wanting to peddle Griffey, Arroyo and Dunn, the NY Metro area looks like a good spot.

    I say we let Griffey leave with the Mets when the series is through and only ask that they pay his salary and deal with the 2009 option and buy-out in return. If Freel gets healthy soon they can have him too as long as they pay him in 2009.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,299

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

    I say we let Griffey leave with the Mets when the series is through and only ask that they pay his salary and deal with the 2009 option and buy-out in return. If Freel gets healthy soon they can have him too as long as they pay him in 2009.
    If you were the Mets and wanted to win your division, and you needed a trade deadline outfielder, would you pick Griffey?

    Dunn should be intriguing for both New York teams, for sure. I don't see them having an interest in Griff though. He just isn't having the kind of year that would interest a contender IMO.

    If the Reds keep Griff and Dunn, no big deal to me. They are free agents. Reds have no commitment to them after this year. If Dunn can fetch prospects, fine, otherwise he will bring draft choices. Or he could be kept. Whatever. I feel the same about Weathers and Affeldt. If they bring something, fine, otherwise there's no commitment after this year. Trade them for value but, if not, no big deal.

    Arroyo, on the other hand, is a larger consideration because the Reds have two expensive years tied to him for 2009 and 2010. If I were Walt, I would try very hard to trade Bronson. He's a solid pitcher but is rather expensive for the Reds considering his performance level. I would like to see his salary slot opened for the off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2008 at 01:31 PM.

  10. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you were the Mets and wanted to win your division, and you needed a trade deadline outfielder, would you pick Griffey?

    Dunn should be intriguing for both New York teams, for sure. I don't see them having an interest in Griff though. He just isn't having the kind of year that would interest a contender IMO.

    If the Reds keep Griff and Dunn, no big deal to me. They are free agents. Reds have no commitment to them after this year. If Dunn can fetch prospects, fine, otherwise he will bring draft choices. Or he could be kept. Whatever. I feel the same about Weathers and Affeldt. If they bring something, fine, otherwise there's no commitment after this year. Trade them for value but, if not, no big deal.

    Arroyo, on the other hand, is a larger consideration because the Reds have two expensive years tied to him for 2009 and 2010. If I were Walt, I would try very hard to trade Bronson. He's a solid pitcher but is rather expensive for the Reds considering his performance level. I would like to see his salary slot opened for the off-season.

    The Reds have a $4 Million commitment to Griffey in 2009 just for letting him walk. So moving him is important for 2009 IMO.

    As for the Mets, they really have nothing to trade and they are down to the 6th or 7th options as far as corner OF go. If they want to pick-up a guy who may get hot and help the bottom of the line-up, Griffey would be an option. He's no help defensively but if he plays LF (where his now poor arm won't be as big a deal), he's probably only a little worse than Moises Alou who was plan A in the first place. They just need to make it clear he's a hired gun to play a role which is as a 6th or 7th hitter who plays LF and gets replaced for defense late in games.

    The Mets may be the one team in baseball with the combination of available money and desparation for corner OF help that may be willing to give Griffey a try. Add that they really have little to deal for anything better and it makes a good fit IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,299

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds have a $4 Million commitment to Griffey in 2009 just for letting him walk. So moving him is important for 2009 IMO.

    As for the Mets, they really have nothing to trade and they are down to the 6th or 7th options as far as corner OF go. If they want to pick-up a guy who may get hot and help the bottom of the line-up, Griffey would be an option. He's no help defensively but if he plays LF (where his now poor arm won't be as big a deal), he's probably only a little worse than Moises Alou who was plan A in the first place. They just need to make it clear he's a hired gun to play a role which is as a 6th or 7th hitter who plays LF and gets replaced for defense late in games.

    The Mets may be the one team in baseball with the combination of available money and desparation for corner OF help that may be willing to give Griffey a try. Add that they really have little to deal for anything better and it makes a good fit IMO.
    I can't imagine the Mets would want Griffey. I assume they were watching last night's game, they were in it.

    It's not about his arm. Shea is a bigger outfield to cover and Griff doesn't have the speed. Also Shea is tougher to hit long balls. Griff has 12 homers playing all year at GABP, he isn't likely to hit many at Shea.

    Even if a team doesn't scout Griff carefully, they will see his numbers this year. .230, 12 homers.

    As for Griff's buy out clause, I don't think a buying team will assume that debt. If they take Griff, they'll likely require the Reds to front all or most of that money.

    The only team I could possibly see with an interest in Griff is Tampa. He lives near there. They have no big name stars and could use the glamour. It will give the appearance that they are doing something to pin down a playoff berth. But I doubt it will happen.

    The Mets would be wise to consider Dunn. They seem to like Nady for a return visit. And now that the Mets have won 10 straight and are tied for first, they will shoot high, be willing to trade their few top prospects, and go for it. I just don't see how Griffey fits in.

    But we'll see soon enough.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2008 at 02:34 PM.

  12. #11
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I can't imagine the Mets would want Griffey. I assume they were watching last night's game, they were in it.

    It's not about his arm. Shea is a bigger outfield to cover and Griff doesn't have the speed. Also Shea is tougher to hit long balls. Griff has 12 homers playing all year at GABP, he isn't likely to hit many at Shea.

    As for Griff's buy out clause, nobody will assume that debt. If they take Griff, they'll require the Reds to front all or most of that money.

    The only team I could possibly see with an interest in Griff is Tampa. He lives near there. They have no big name stars and could use the glamour. It will give the appearance that they are doing something to pin down a playoff berth. But I doubt it will happen.
    You're right about Shea and probably right about Griffey. I still think a team that needs help and has little to deal may be willing to pay the buy out instead of sending talent that is either needed on the major league team for the race or non-existent in the minor league organization. The Mets fit that bill, they have the money and a hunch is that if they were willing to go the year with Moises in LF, they may not be as Griffey averse defensively as we are. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't blame any NL team for wanting to stay away from Griffey.

    As a DH in Tampa, Cliff Floyd and Eric Hinske are probably better LH Hitting choices already in house. Perhaps a return to Seattle in time to pass Sosa on the HR list as a gift to the fans. They could make an event of HR #610 as a reason to watch in this lost year and pimp the farewell tour. For the Mariners, the attendance bump pays for the buy-out and the goodwill pays off in future years. The Reds get out from under the $4 Million.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #12
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    The Yanks just aren't going to trade Hughes for a package like that.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #13
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,620

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Yanks just aren't going to trade Hughes for a package like that.
    I can't see Hank Steinbrenner, nor the Yankee fan base for that matter, seeing the "wisdom" in trading Hughes for a .228 hitter and a pitcher with an ERA very near 6.00.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-18-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,755

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Actually, if you look at the numbers under the numbers Arroyo has been pretty solid and Dunn is an offensive machine. In NYY short porch, Dunn could be even better and Arroyo has been heating up. I think that deal would be a great one for NYY and I think the return mentioned is actually pretty reasonable given this is two potentially high impact guys for their pennant race, both guys who could also make a difference long term.

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,730

    Re: The Yankees are probably the best fit for a trade

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Actually, if you look at the numbers under the numbers Arroyo has been pretty solid and Dunn is an offensive machine. In NYY short porch, Dunn could be even better and Arroyo has been heating up. I think that deal would be a great one for NYY and I think the return mentioned is actually pretty reasonable given this is two potentially high impact guys for their pennant race, both guys who could also make a difference long term.
    I agree. I'd rather keep Dunn and Arroyo. This team needs to upgrade its junk, not create more holes to fill. The team should have plenty of cheap years from Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Volquez, Burton, Bray and eventually Bailey and some others. They ought to be able to afford vets to fill the roles these two fill. The Reds won't get anyone to provide the offense that Dunn provides for any less than what Dunn will make. As for pitching, $12 Million per year buys you Carlos Silva, Gil Meche, Ted Lilly, etc. If I thought the Reds could throw Arroyo's money at Derek Lowe, I might be tempted to deal him for some prospects while signing Lowe to take his place. I just don't think the team can sign anyone who is more likely to give them a well pitched game as often as Arroyo, warts and all, does now. The kind of Free Agent pitchers this team competes for are usually guys who don't have other options. Like it or not, this team lunches at the Josh Fogg table.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25