Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Freel to Have Surgery

Freel to Have Surgery

Per The Enquirer via Rotoworld

Ryan Freel will have surgery Wednesday to repair the torn distal hamstring tendon behind his right knee.

The Reds aren't providing a timetable for his return, but if he does make it back, it will likely be to assume a limited role in September. This is another one of former GM Wayne Krivsky's multiyear deals that hasn't worked out at all. Last April, Freel was given a two-year, $7 million extension through 2009.
    So much for being able to dump his contract.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Freel to Have Surgery

Might as well do Hairston while they have the tools out, cause the injuries looked really similar to me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I can't figure out the number of hamstring injuries this team has. You all know Griffey's story (sorry, George), but it seems that with Freel and Hairston, it's the same thing. both seemed to be doing nothing so radical as to injure something so bad and yet they were. these guys must be fragile.

We've probably seen the last of Freel this year and Hairston may come back if we're lucky, but the truth is an often injured player is likely to stay that way. All the more unwise to give the player an extended cntract. Something our former GM couldn't resist. Pray that we can send Freel anywhere and bid Jerry goodbye at the end of the season. Wish them both well and concentrate on youth.

I cannot believe that some want to re-sign Hairston, but then that's just me. When the Freel extension came up I felt the same way. Please say no.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

This isn't a surgery to remove Farney from Freel?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    A farnectomy?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I can't figure out the number of hamstring injuries this team has. You all know Griffey's story (sorry, George), but it seems that with Freel and Hairston, it's the same thing. both seemed to be doing nothing so radical as to injure something so bad and yet they were. these guys must be fragile.

We've probably seen the last of Freel this year and Hairston may come back if we're lucky, but the truth is an often injured player is likely to stay that way. All the more unwise to give the player an extended cntract. Something our former GM couldn't resist. Pray that we can send Freel anywhere and bid Jerry goodbye at the end of the season. Wish them both well and concentrate on youth.

I cannot believe that some want to re-sign Hairston, but then that's just me. When the Freel extension came up I felt the same way. Please say no.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to want Hairston signed to a reasonable deal. He's been as important to this team as anyone this year. Is he going to duplicate it? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean he can't be productive again. His health is a major concerned, and if they're not convinced he can stay on the field, then he shouldn't be signed. But it should at least be heavily explored.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A farnectomy?

I was hoping that Dr. Walt was going to do that. While doing an implant of dynamic OBP/SLG parts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    A farnectomy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post

I was hoping that Dr. Walt was going to do that. While doing an implant of dynamic OBP/SLG parts
    We can rebuild him...we have the technology. We can make him better than he was--better, stronger, faster.

Last edited by Big Klu; 07-19-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Make Freel pay for it
    Go Gators!

Is this the last year of his contract, or do the Reds also have him next year?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Is this the last year of his contract, or do the Reds also have him next year?
    Freel is signed for $3 million this year, and $4 million in 2009.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?