Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Top Reds defenders honored Friday

Top Reds defenders honored Friday

Griffey, Bench and Morgan named to All-Time Gold Glove team
    By Brandon Harris / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- When it comes to the top defensive players of the past 50 years, the Reds dominate the top.

Outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., former catcher Johnny Bench and former second baseman Joe Morgan make up one-third of the All-Time Rawlings Gold Glove team, making the Reds the most represented of any team in the nine-player field.

"Out of all nine guys, we have three," Bench said. "That's just incredible. I couldn't believe it."

Griffey, Bench and Morgan were honored and presented with trophies during a pregame ceremony on Friday before the Reds' game with the Mets.

In addition, the fist 20,000 fans to Friday's game received a piece of frame commemorative artwork recognizing the Reds' trio for the award.

"Junior was selected to the All-Century team when he was really young," said Ken Griffey Sr. "And now, looking at the crowd in which he was selected for this, I'm very proud of him. This is a big deal."

Nearly one million fans voted for the team, which also features pitcher Greg Maddux, first baseman Wes Parker, shortstop Ozzie Smith, third baseman Brooks Robinson and outfielders Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente.

The players have exactly 100 Gold Glove Awards between them. Bench and Griffey each have 10 Gold Gloves, while Morgan has five.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Top Reds defenders honored Friday

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Griffey, Bench and Morgan named to All-Time Gold Glove team
    By Brandon Harris / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- When it comes to the top defensive players of the past 50 years, the Reds dominate the top.

Outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., former catcher Johnny Bench and former second baseman Joe Morgan make up one-third of the All-Time Rawlings Gold Glove team, making the Reds the most represented of any team in the nine-player field.

"Out of all nine guys, we have three," Bench said. "That's just incredible. I couldn't believe it."

Griffey, Bench and Morgan were honored and presented with trophies during a pregame ceremony on Friday before the Reds' game with the Mets.

In addition, the fist 20,000 fans to Friday's game received a piece of frame commemorative artwork recognizing the Reds' trio for the award.

"Junior was selected to the All-Century team when he was really young," said Ken Griffey Sr. "And now, looking at the crowd in which he was selected for this, I'm very proud of him. This is a big deal."

Nearly one million fans voted for the team, which also features pitcher Greg Maddux, first baseman Wes Parker, shortstop Ozzie Smith, third baseman Brooks Robinson and outfielders Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente.

The players have exactly 100 Gold Glove Awards between them. Bench and Griffey each have 10 Gold Gloves, while Morgan has five.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Griffey was great in Seattle, but he has spent a significant portion of his career being downright awful. How many years of rotten does it take to cancel out 10 years of great? For defense, I prefer Garry Maddox or Paul Blair.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For a Level Playing Field

2nd basemen and gold gloves they won in the last 50 years...

Roberto Alomar = 10
    Ryne Sandberg = 9
    Bill Mazeroski = 8
    Frank White = 8

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Griffey was great in Seattle, but he has spent a significant portion of his career being downright awful. How many years of rotten does it take to cancel out 10 years of great? For defense, I prefer Garry Maddox or Paul Blair.
    For what he did in Seattle Griffey absolutely deserves to be honered IMO. In his prime he was one of the best defensive players ever IMO.

For what he did in Seattle Griffey absolutely deserves to be honered IMO. In his prime he was one of the best defensive players ever IMO.

I agree. No matter what he has done since or will do in the future, it will not cancel out the years of historically great defense in Seattle. What's done today doesn't erase what was done in the past; the only thing that's affected is our perception.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Agree, but he wasn't as good as Blair or Maddox. Or Gary Pettis, or Rick Manning or Ken Berry or Devon White or ....

Gotta be a Hall of Fame hitter to be recognized as a great defensive OF for awards like this.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I dont buy that at all. How do you get to decide what part of a career gets counted? Paul Blair was a great CF, but his best 10 years (your parameter not mine) was not better that Griffey's best 10. Do we ignor May's terrible last couple years? Well I do. Great is Great.

I concur with the list exactly, at least of players that I have seen play. If you were gonna edit any of the list IMO Morgan is the weak link.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 07-18-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: sp
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I dont buy that at all. How do you get to decide what part of a career gets counted? Paul Blair was a great CF, but his best 10 years (your perameter not mine) was not better that Griffey's best 10. Do we ignor May's terrible last couple years? Well I do. Great is Great.

I concur with the list exactly, at least of players that I have seen play.
    Last couple years as in May's case is different than 40% of his career. And defensivley I'd take Blair over all three of those that made the team.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

By the time Blair couldn't play defense he was out of the league, because he also couldn'd hit.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    By the time Blair couldn't play defense he was out of the league, because he also couldn'd hit.
    True, but this is an award for the best defender.

True, but this is an award for the best defender.
    It never has been. Why would they start making it that now?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    It never has been. Why would they start making it that now?
    True. Best point in the thread I guess.

Turn Off Ads?