Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cassette to CD Rocorder

Cassette to CD Rocorder

Anyone know the easiest and cheapest way for me to copy a audio cassette to a CD? I need something pretty quick as well. I am planning to put in for a job at a radio station and the only air check I have is on cassette and 8 years old. I have a feeling I won't be taken seriously or even listened to if I send a cassette. I tore through all of my boxes to find the old cassette and I believe it's the last one I have.

I looked around online and the cheapest thing I could find was 150 dollars. That is way too much for me right now. If there was an inexpensive way to run it to my CPU and convert it to MP3, that would be another option.

This is not going to be a full time gig so it's not life or death, but more of a hobby. I have had the radio bug for a long time, but got out of the business at 21 because there was no money in it. Now that I have a steady income, I am looking to get back in on a part time basis. It was a kick to go back and listen to it earlier today. I have not heard it for years and was really surprised that it seems decent, even today. I think I could land the job if it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. They may not even mess with a tape these days.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Cassette to CD Rocorder

If your sound card has a microphone input that can be switched to line level, you can play the cassette audio into the computer and record it with Audacity.

I have a radio aircheck on cassette in a box somewhere from when I was in college. I don't think I would have the nerve to listen to it now.
    /r/reds

High five!

Yup, that's basically it. You need a soundcard with a line level input, a burner (if you _need_ a CD) and software (Audacity is fine).

Nice things to have are a cassette player with an adjustable azimuth to get it sounding as good as you can going _in_ to the soundcard. Also, make sure you use the same kind of noise reduction on that the tape was recorded with.

how do I know if my sound card has a line level input or how do I switch it to that? I have no idea what that is.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I just bought something called Plus Deck2 on ebay for about $100 including s/h. It's supposed to go on your computer and convert tapes to digital. There's a problem with my computer that won't let me convert it with Plus Deck2 but I can do the same thing with Audacity. The main thing is Plus Deck2 works while playing the tapes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    how do I know if my sound card has a line level input or how do I switch it to that? I have no idea what that is.
    Just try sending the audio from your tape player into the computer's mic input and see if the computer records the input at a level that's way too loud.

If it doesn't, you don't need to worry about it.

If it does, you'll need to do some poking around in the sound card's Windows control panel (and the sound card's user manual if you don't find a switch in the control panel).
    /r/reds

I have this. It can record off any audio device and you don't need a computer.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Philips_MC_90__5336483
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Do you have your computer hooked up to external speakers? If so, look at where the speaker wire connects to the computer. Near there should be other "gozinta" and "gozoutta" for audio connections. Typically, there's a single input and it might have a picture of a mircophone next to it. You'll probably need an RCA pair to 1/8" mini jack to make the connection.

In your "Sound" control panel on whatever platform you use, there might be a way to set the input gain. Try and set it so whatever meter you have is constantly in the middle of it's range. Don't try and get it near the top and try to keep it off the bottom.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Now that you guys mentioned it, I have a couple of aircheck tapes from my college DJ days... I should probably do this too.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?