Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Something that bugs me with some RZ posters

Something that bugs me with some RZ posters

No need to mention any names, you know who you are, but .....

What is with the disguised "I'm pulling for [insert player name here] to do well (in a call-up or comeback bid)" comments? On first glance it appears that you're actually rooting for the guy. Usually, said poster will reveal his true intentions with "[insert player name here] will be able to increase his trade value (to get him off the Reds roster)".

Why not just come right out and say "It would be nice to not waste the money on you, leave or make yourself valuable in a trade"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Something that bugs me with some RZ posters

I'm not really following.

I think what bugs aerontg is that some fans want a player to do well, not to help the team win, but to help his trade value (esp. players with high salaries).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I think what bugs aerontg is that some fans want a player to do well, not to help the team win, but to help his trade value (esp. players with high salaries).
    That's the way I read it as well. I don't really have a problem with it, I see it as those people wanting to see the team do well by getting the most they can for said player. But I can see how someone could have a problem with it too. It sort of takes the humanity away from the players a bit like we're treating them as if they're nothing more than a stock to sell high on.

Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post

What is with the disguised "I'm pulling for [insert player name here] to do well (in a call-up or comeback bid)" comments? On first glance it appears that you're actually rooting for the guy. Usually, said poster will reveal his true intentions with "[insert player name here] will be able to increase his trade value (to get him off the Reds roster)".

Why not just come right out and say "It would be nice to not waste the money on you, leave or make yourself valuable in a trade"?
    Should we be pulling for a player to succeed because of 1) our personal affection for that player, or 2) because it will help the Reds franchise.

My answer is 2 every time, but it certainly can include number 1 sometimes.

Let's say I want the Reds to trade Arroyo or I think he will be traded...of course I will be rooting for him to suceed to maximize return. Am I being mean?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Apparently aerontg doesn't like what RedsManRick has to say about Todd Coffey?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Should we be pulling for a player to succeed because of 1) our personal affection for that player, or 2) because it will help the Reds franchise.

My answer is 2 every time, but it certainly can include number 1 sometimes.

Let's say I want the Reds to trade Arroyo or I think he will be traded...of course I will be rooting for him to suceed to maximize return. Am I being mean?
    No, you're not. They're big boys, they make more money than most of us will ever see in 5 life times, they can handle it.

The notion that we have to root and support or coddle them like high school players is a bit silly I think. Most of these guys have no loyalty to the city, the fans or the team anymore, they're after the most $ they can get, they're out for themselves - fans should be too - after all we're the ones paying their salaries ultimately, and don't get 6 months off every year and make millions.

I think they can handle internet posters treating them like commodoties, if they don't think they are in the future plans for the Reds. I'm not sure why it's an issue with the thread starter.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I'm not sure why it's an issue with the thread starter.
    Or why it's in Non-Baseball Chatter?

Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post

I am not sure what you mean, let me guess.

Are you talking about the common practice of posters to start with "I love Joe Player X" but, then the poster basically gives follow up reasons for what they really think of Joe Player X, and what should be done with Joe Player X, ie run him out of town etc. ?

Social disarming, an attempt to dull the potential responses in advance, if the poster perceives that their premise will be received in a volatile manner, is my first guess.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 07-20-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Or why it's in Non-Baseball Chatter?
    I was thinking the same thing...

Turn Off Ads?