Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dumb Plays

Dumb Plays

We all know that the Reds have a penchant for making some dumb plays. I think we should try and document them here to help us better see how pervasive they really are. Maybe it would also be a good idea to list all of the opponents bonehead plays as well as a means of comparison.

I would include the following:
    -Errors (w/ description)
    -Poor baserunning
    -Dreadful non-pitcher at-bats where the player looks like a Single-A hitter

Let's leave out Dusty's decisions. I think we do a pretty good job of nailing Dusty for his gaffes.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dumb Plays

Well, we have our first play, that didn't take long.

1st inning, man on second, two outs.

Votto overthrew Fogg at 1st base. Maybe its because he's Canadian and doesn't play much football?

-Resulted in a run scored

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

How about we dont do this. This team isnt the Big Red Machine and they arent going to the playoffs (again) but they still are the team I root for and enjoy watching. Every team makes bad plays and a thread like this accomplishes nothing but stir up negativity. Flame away, but thats my two cents.

Well it actually might take some of the heat off Dusty, it'll prove the players make bad plays, and every loss, run scored, strikeout, etc isnt solely his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Well it actually might take some of the heat off Dusty, it'll prove the players make bad plays, and every loss, run scored, strikeout, etc isnt solely his fault.
    I doubt anyone really thinks any of those things are solely his fault. They're not solely anyone's fault. The team is an all-around stinker. Bad pitching, bad hitting, bad defense, and bad management.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

It almost gets that bad sometimes though

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    How about we dont do this. This team isnt the Big Red Machine and they arent going to the playoffs (again) but they still are the team I root for and enjoy watching. Every team makes bad plays and a thread like this accomplishes nothing but stir up negativity. Flame away, but thats my two cents.
    I understand what you are saying, but the team should have swept the Mets, one of the best teams in the NL. Arroyo and Fogg are pitching well, Dunn is destroying the ball. The Reds are playing better, except for these dumb mistakes. Votto and Encarnacion's throws were devastating, particularly Votto's. The more I watch the Reds, the more I like what they have, but there knack for making dumb mistakes is what kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but the team should have swept the Mets, one of the best teams in the NL. Arroyo and Fogg are pitching well, Dunn is destroying the ball. The Reds are playing better, except for these dumb mistakes. Votto and Encarnacion's throws were devastating, particularly Votto's. The more I watch the Reds, the more I like what they have, but there knack for making dumb mistakes is what kills them.

I dont really blame EE for his throw yesterday.

It should have been no surprise to Brandon phillips that we might be able to turn a double play.

If we were inside the club house i can gauruntee you BP announced taking the blame for that play.

If you watch BP hesitated for a few moments when the ball was hit. Then realized (#*#* i need to be on second.) He was late getting to the bag.

EE still could have made a better throw than he did. But the majority of the blame should probably go on BP's side.

how can you blame BPhill for EE's throw being way behind him?!

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They are real young don't forget. Young people make dumb mistakes. Even EE, everyone seems to be thinking he has no excuse but he is only 25. This is a very young team with a large amount of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    EE had to double clutch the throw. He had to think instead of just react.

Its still on EE to deliver the throw, but Phillips' mistake made an error more likely, IMO. I'm not really worried about it. This team seems to be a lot better at defensive fundamentals this year than in previous years, and Phillips is the least of their worries in that respect.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    I really think Phillips made that a much harder play for Edwin by not being on the bag or at least about to arrive at the bag. Edwin hesitated on throwing because he assumed Phillips would be where he is supposed to be and when he was ready to release he saw Phillips just now starting for second. At the very least, you have to admit trying to hit someone on the run to the bag is harder than tossing it to a guy standing at the bag (which Phillips should have been).

IMO, It was a boneheaded play by Phillips that got hilighted because Edwin didn't execute the throw.

Double Whammy in the 9th.

-Cordero and Votto run into each other.
    -Bruce BADLY misjudges a ball (whether he could catch it or not)

I think it's time for some good ol' fashioned defensive drills. Can we restart Spring Training?

Turn Off Ads?