Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Fogg

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Josh Fogg

I missed a majority of the game since I saw it was delayed and went to do something else. But what I did catch, I saw Josh Fogg working out of trouble in a couple innings to get himself a quality start. That's 2 and .2 innings away from 3 quality starts for him since he's been back with the team.

Was it really just an injury problem making him so "Fogg-like" or is he just getting BABIP lucky?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Fogg

Fogg is always going to need spot command and a little bit of luck but he isn't, imo, as bad a pitcher as he showed early on. Tonight he got a couple of saving DP balls - call it luck or call it good pitching. He also got a great defensive play from Phillips that saved him a run but that was payback for the one the defense gave up in the first that shouldn't have been on him.

got to give him credit! fogg has kept us in the game since returning from the DL. is he a long term answer? no, but he can allow some other prospects a little more time to develope down in the minors.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

This is the Josh Fogg that I think most envisioned. A guy who skates on very thin ice, and can hold the fort until reinforcements arrive. He has been an eyelash away from disaster, but has come through. He is a number 5 starter.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Don't walk people and don't give up homers and you can be a pretty effective #5 starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

RZers have short memories sometimes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are threads that are the exact opposite of this one within the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Fogg is always going to need spot command and a little bit of luck but he isn't, imo, as bad a pitcher as he showed early on. Tonight he got a couple of saving DP balls - call it luck or call it good pitching. He also got a great defensive play from Phillips that saved him a run but that was payback for the one the defense gave up in the first that shouldn't have been on him.
    I'm glad Josh Fogg was able to keep the Reds in the game.

I thought the one the defense gave up in the first was Foggs fault.

Fogg could of and should have made that play IMHO.

If there's somebody out there who looks at these last couple of games, remembers that he pitched in a World Series last year, and decides he has some value, trade him fast! Don't let a half-second of silence fall between the trade proposal and the word "yes!"
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    RZers have short memories sometimes. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are threads that are the exact opposite of this one within the next few weeks.
    I don't think so, actually. Fogg ISN'T as bad as his early showing. I know he'll have some stinker starts - guys like him live on command and luck and losing either one derails them. He's a mediocre pitcher and average 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm glad Josh Fogg was able to keep the Reds in the game.

I thought the one the defense gave up in the first was Foggs fault.

Fogg could of and should have made that play IMHO.
    It WAS Josh's fault but it still wasn't his pitching. And Joey has to learn to lob the ball, too, although I agree Fogg should have caught it.

great job! Who would have ever thought he would be important this year, but with the reds making a last run before the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It WAS Josh's fault but it still wasn't his pitching. And Joey has to learn to lob the ball, too, although I agree Fogg should have caught it.

Votto almost messed up that last out in the 9th on a similar play. Was he still in Canada when they went over PFP in ST?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

He's a mediocre pitcher and average 5th starter.
    Something the team hasn't had for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Something the team hasn't had for many years.
    They've had slightly worse in the number 1 spot much of the time. I think Fogg has some trade value.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

He should be able to get 2 more starts in before the non-waiver trading deadline. If he can keep this up we might get a real prospect (at least someone not in their 30's) for him.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Agree with most of the posts. Fogg has a long history of being just good enough to not be kicked out of the rotation, and that has some value, considering how frequently guys are kicked out of rotations. That's what I thought we were getting, but the Fogg of the season's first two months wasn't good enough to stay in anyone's rotation. Maybe it was a health issue, not sure, but if he's back to his normal self, that's good for us. Even if it doesn't make him a valuable trading chip, there's something to be said for fans not passing up trips to the ballpark on the days he's pitching.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 07-20-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?