Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty says

High five!

Dusty says

From CTR:

Baker on being three games from .500:

"It’s good for the organization adn the town, we haven’t had a winning season in seven years. That was my goal when I came here, to have a winning season. If you have a winning season, you can go from there. First you get to .500 and then you want to create some space between you and .500. Like my son told me last night, I didn’t even know this because I’m just trying to win every day, but he said, ‘You’re seven out of the wild card, dad.’ I was like, ‘thanks son.’

"That’s what you have to have in this game. I don’t care until we’re mathematically eliminated, I don’t care what anyone says.

"That’s why I’m glad baseball is in a very good financial state. Because what happened with Colorado last year, they’d have been dumping slaaries. There fore it gives you a chance for the miraculous comeback.

"There’s not a lot of buying and selling going on."

I followed up if he felt it was too early to be a seller at this point

"Yeah. You always want to improve, but you don’t want to delete, either. One of the problems we have here is keeping the team attitude and team-first down the stretch. It helps to be playing good baseball and being in a position where you might do something. I told the guys, you win and it stops the organization from doing wholesale anything. If you’re winning, it puts pressure on the organization to make a decision -- especially when you have 13 free agents, which is a lot. It’s the most I’ve ever had. Everybody’s more concerned about their future and playing time, which determines their future. That’s the biggest problem I have.

"You’ve got to be a quality-type free agent for someone to rent you. Are you going to give up top prospects for someone who might not even sign, unless you’re like Milwaukee and so close. That’s what they’re doing with C.C. unless they can entice him to sign.

Baker was asked if this team was particularly affected by players thinking about their future

"It’s nothing about the club, it’s human nature that you’re concerned about your future and your family’s future.

"If you play, everything will come. If you put playing in the game ahead of playing and contracts, the money will come. If you put the money in front of playing, it can come, but not as easy as it can. I tell my guys to keep your priorities straight, because when the game starts, the opposition doesn’t care how much you make, I don’t care how much you make. That’s your business.

"Around the trade deadline is tough, because guys are worried. That’s natural tough, it’s hard getting traded in the middle of the season -- what are you going to do with your family, your housing, that kind of stuff.

"The trade deadline doesn’t mean anything anyway, it always seems after the trade deadline, someone always gets traded anyway. I can’t figure out how some of these guys get through waivers.

"Most fo the time you’re a buyer when you have a pretty good chance of doing something.

"They tried to break our Dodger team up for a long time, they tried to break up the Yankees for a long time. It’s hard to break up a team that’s winning."

Also, I asked Baker about Griffey in the No. 3 spot, since that's the reason many of you have said they can't win a game...

"It’s something over time he’s earned. I know people say play him here or put him there, but he’s like Dunn, their averages are low, but their on-base percentage is high. Their on-base percentage is better than some of the guys that are hitting for high averages. I know they get paid to hit, but it also helps to get on base and put the pitcher in the stretch. Most starters don’t like being in the stretch.

"I still wish their averages were higher, you want everything, but you look around baseball and the league, you don’t see a lot of everythings. I’m seeing a lot of low averages and some with high production. A lot of strikeouts."

Griffey’s OBP is .348 -- that’s tied for fourth among the players in the Reds’ starting lineup on Sunday -- behind Dunn (.386), Jeff Keppinger (.356) and Edwin Encarnacion (.351). Joey Votto, like Griffey has a .348 OBP. Jay Bruce (.335), Brandon Phillips (.320) and Paul Bako (.299) have lower OBPs than Griffey.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty says

I have no problem with any of these comments.

One thing to keep in mind is that Dusty isn't the GM so ultimately, he doesn't decide. I would expect all the comments he made. He's the manager. Of course he wants to win no matter what.

Interesting stuff but I honestly really don't see any difference between 82 wins and 80, both are records bad teams produce.
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Interesting stuff but I honestly really don't see any difference between 82 wins and 80, both are records bad teams produce.
    While I agree.... The Reds don't seem to. At least they don't speak publicly like they seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While I agree.... The Reds don't seem to. At least they don't speak publicly like they seem to.
    It's psychological. When you have been sub-.500 for seven years, finishing a season over .500 takes the monkey off your back.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But would you really expect them to say anything publicly? That would be bad PR and would insinuate that the team/owners are giving up and don't care.

More lipservice from Dusty that he understands OBP and the like, yet he buries our three most productive hitters in the 5, 6, 7 roles. Willie Mays earned the right to bat 3rd over his career too, but if he was in the lineup as-is today, he wouldn't bat there. Dusty seems like a really nice guy, but I'll never be happy with him as a manager unless he were to make decisions on the facts at hand rather than his ingrained beliefs - and that's not happening.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    but I'll never be happy with him as a manager unless he were to make decisions on the facts at hand rather than his ingrained beliefs - and that's not happening.
    You mean like demoting Patterson to the bench?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

agreed, improvement sucks.

but if he was in the lineup as-is today, he wouldn't bat there.
    Of course he wouldn't he's 77 years old

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Of course he wouldn't he's 77 years old
    Exactly, he no longer has the skills to bat third in a major league lineup. Ken Griffey Jr is 38 and neither does he. But Junior is close enough to his past peak that Dusty would prefer to pretend he's just having an unlucky season.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You mean like demoting Patterson to the bench?
    1 bad decision down, 99 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Exactly, he no longer has the skills to bat third in a major league lineup. Ken Griffey Jr is 38 and neither does he. But Junior is close enough to his past peak that Dusty would prefer to pretend he's just having an unlucky season.
    Willie Mays batted 3rd for the Mets, I could go through the myriad of players who didn't move one step from the order slot they held most for their careers as they declined too.

Doesn't make it right, but let's not act as if it's some fallacy that only Dusty Baker has committed.

That this team has 48 wins despite Harang's awfulness, Arroyo's near-total collapse in the first half, Cueto's early struggles, Josh Fogg, Keppinger's injury, Burton's injury, Cordero's having blown 5 saves (three of which should have been guaranteed gimme saves), is virtually miraculous.

I don't chalk that up to Dusty, but I sure as hell have a difficult time pointing to much Dusty's done to keep this team from maximizing its output. This team's record should look a lot like Padres' or the Indians'--not the Reds' current record.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

But if Dusty or any of the players were sporting that kind of attitude towards winning and losing, they would be attacked beyond belief on this forum.

Turn Off Ads?