Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weathers, Affeldt, Lincoln-What would they bring in trade?

Weathers, Affeldt, Lincoln-What would they bring in trade?

I looked at late season (July and later) trades from 2005 and 2006 in which relief pitchers were traded to contenders. I looked at those two years to judge the likely market. I didn't look at 2007 because there hasn't been enough time to judge those trades...and I just realized Jeff Francis is in town pitching a rehab start at 6:00 and I've gotta' run! I probably missed a few and left out the Kearns trade to avoid that argument for the umpteenth time.

Anyway, do middle relievers bring excellent returns? I'm not so sure.

Kyle Farnsworth traded by Detroit Tigers to Atlanta Braves for Roman Colon and Zach Miner.

RHP Shawn Chacon, Colorado traded to Yankees for RHP Eduardo Sierra, Trenton (AA) and RHP Ramon Ramirez.

RHP Tim Worrell traded by Philly to Arizona for Matt Kata, Tucson (AAA)

Chad Bradford by A's traded to Boston for Jay Payton.

Mike Stanton traded by Washington to Boston for Rhys Taylor, GCL Red Sox (R) and RHP Yader Peralta, Lowell (SS)

LHP Scott Schoeneweis traded to Cincy for 3B/2B Trevor Lawhorn, Sarasota (Hi A)

RHP Jeremy Affeldt, Kansas City and RHP Denny Bautista, Omaha (AAA) to Colorado for 1B Ryan Shealy, Colorado and RHP Scott Dohmann, Colo. Springs (AAA)

LHP Oliver Perez, Indianapolis (AAA) and RHP Roberto Hernandez traded by Pittsburgh to Mets for OF Xavier Nady.

LHP Rheal Cormier traded by Philadelphia to Reds for RHP Justin Germano, Louisville (AAA)

LHP Mike Stanton trade by Washington to Giants for RHP Shairon Martis, Augusta (Lo A)

RHP Elmer Dessens trade by Kansas City to Dodgers for LHP Odalis Perez, Los Angeles (NL), RHP Blake Johnson, Vero Beach (Hi A), and RHP Julio Pimentel, Vero Beach (Hi A)

RHP Mike MacDougal traded by Kansas City to White Sox for LHP Tyler Lumsden, Birmingham (AA) and RHP Daniel Cortes, Kannapolis (Lo A)

RHP Scott Williamson traded by Cubs to Padres for RHP Joel Santo, Fort Wayne (Lo A) and LHP Fabian Jimenez, Fort Wayne (Lo A)

RHP Bob Wickman trade by Cleveland to Braves for C Maximiliano Ramirez, Rome (Lo A)
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers, Affeldt, Lincoln-What would they bring in trade?

Probably not much.

We'll likely trade a couple of them for a AA player that won't pan out, but will bring excitement and optimism that we've done the right thing.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    We'll likely trade a couple of them for a AA player that won't pan out, but will bring excitement and optimism that we've done the right thing.
    Unless one of them will bring DPs in 2009, it will be the right thing.

I agree Spitball. Unless a reliever can be coupled with a high profile player to net a bigger return, I'm not all that sold on the notion of breaking this club apart like a handwarmed Hershey bar.

I'd rather have the FA draft compensation.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

At this point, I hope Lincoln is back next year and if he can be gotten on a one year deal for a million or so I think you've got to look carefully at resigning Weathers. Affeldt is simply overpaid. I'd move him if possible ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I agree Spitball. Unless a reliever can be coupled with a high profile player to net a bigger return, I'm not all that sold on the notion of breaking this club apart like a handwarmed Hershey bar.

Exactly, why trade away Weathers, Affeldt, or Lincoln for luke-warm prospects who will never make an impact on the major league team? Teams won't give up top prospects for middle relievers.

BTW, Jeff Francis was not too impressive tonight. He had little movement on his pitches and topped out at 89 maybe three times. Troy Tulowitzki played short and hit the ball pretty hard every time up but was the victim of pretty good defense. Tony Blanco played third for Tulsa but made two errors but had a couple of hits.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

[QUOTE=Spitball;1698895]Exactly, why trade away Weathers, Affeldt, or Lincoln for luke-warm prospects who will never make an impact on the major league team? Teams won't give up top prospects for middle relievers.[QUOTE]

I attend to agree. I know that all three have been effective this year in spots, so why buy a pig in a poke? Of course , the money matters, but I imagine Jocketty is a little better with that than the former GM. We'll see.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

That sir I so agree with you on. if the return offers a possibility of a catcher in exchange for Weathers you take it . otherwise take the draft picks.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

The absolute top you can hope for is a super utility player in training. A guy who's ceiling will be Keppinger. Another Freel, Hairston, Hopper, Cabrera... personally, I'd stick with the middle relief and hope for draft choices next spring.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Lincoln won't bring anyone.

Affeldt and Weatherts might (especially Weathers) but I wouldn't want to risk arbitration with either.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Lincoln won't bring anyone.

Affeldt and Weatherts might (especially Weathers) but I wouldn't want to risk arbitration with either.
    I understand that Lincoln won't.

I'd risk arb with both the other two.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I understand that Lincoln won't.

I'd risk arb with both the other two.

We might well get Weathers basck for one year at $5M+. His stats and saves over the last two years would add up to alot of money. He would make more in arbitration than he would get on the open market, plus a team signing him would have to sacrifice their first or second round pick. That would scare off may a potential signor, and leave him squarely back with us for way more than we want to spend.

Agree with Puffy. No way I go arb. with Weathers. Probably means we should move him now and take a little more risk in the deal. Go farther down in somebody' s system for a guy with some issues but more upside. I agree we don't need anymore Freel, Hopper etc. types.

Affeldt has a great arm but he's not a lights out reliever. I wouldn't go to arbitration with him, I'd trade him to a contender. Lefties with good arms should have trade value.

Weathers isn't going to be with the Reds next year, I'd trade him for some value.

I wouldn't trade either for nothing.

I would keep Lincoln. His performance is far better than his trade value is likely to be. I wouldn't mind him as a sixth-seventh inning guy next year at a reasonable price. He's been lights out of late, by the way, and I'd ride the hot hand with him. He has an excellent two pitch fastball, curve ball combination right now.

Turn Off Ads?