Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I need tips about going to High A ball game.

I need tips about going to High A ball game.

I found out that the Padres high Single A team, the STORM, play in Lake Elsinore, which is just about 20 mile op the road here. I plan to take my 8 year old son to a game in the next week or so.

Their website shows a fairly new 8400 seat stadium. I want my son to see pros close up, any tips about where to sit, how early to show up, et al?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I need tips about going to High A ball game.

It's been a few years since I've been there since I went to see the Storm play the Stockton Ports when the Ports were the Reds affiliate. It's a very nice, comfortable, modern, clean ballpark with very good sightlines where ever you sit. It has a little bit of (Cleveland's) Jacobs Field ingrained in that they have an enclosed restaurant down the left field line where you can eat before and during the game as well as watch the game from the bar. If you look out the back side of the restaurant you have a very nice view of Lake Elsinor. Directly below that restaurant and moving toward the field they have a terraced area with grills and picnic tables (as I recall).

Tickets are pretty reasonable and parking is easy. The night I went I simply walked up to the box office window to buy a ticket. While I was waiting in line a woman walked up to me and asked if I needed/wanted a ticket. I said yes and she gave me a free ticket. It turned out that it was in the third row, directly behind home plate and it was part of a block of tickets that a local fitness center took in trade for allowing the Pardes farmhands to use the workout facilities. As such there were several 'date/girlfriends/etc.' sitting in the section with me.

You can walk anywhere in the stadium, IIRC, and that's what I like to do in baseball stadiums. I like to see the action from various viewpoints. If you like that approach as well then I would guess any ticket will do---especially if you go during the week. I have no idea how The Storm is drawing this year but in the past they've been pretty popular on weekends---it's sort of the thing to do in the summer in Lake Elsinor.

Go. Have a good time. It's baseball in one of its' best forms. Who knows, maybe someday you'll be able to say"...I saw him when he was in A ball....". (Like you could have said about Jim Edmonds earlier this year. )

Rem

Thanks remdog. What a nice response. I really didn't expect to get such a thoruogh tour. My son and I will enjoy it I am sure.

My son and I went down to Louisville one time and got tickets down by where their bullpen was, along the lines. He chatted with a number of players as they sat there. I can't remember if that was in the old park or the new Louisville Slugger Park. I don't know where the bullpens are at Lake Elsinore, but a look at their stadium online may tell you.

Keep in mind that if you're down either of the lines at this ballpark, that these fields are a lot smaller than a major league park and you need to be very attentive to foul balls. Line drives get down there very quickly.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I read the title of this thread as "I need tips about going high to A ball game."

I was really ready to help you with that, red-in-la.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I read the title of this thread as "I need tips about going high to A ball game."

I was really ready to help you with that, red-in-la.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I went to see the Lake Elsinore STORM play tonight against the Angels A team. But guess what, Chris Young made a rehab start. I didn't know anything about this until I was walking through the turnstile. He pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 runs on 3 hits.

Anyway, my son and I sat in the first row behind the home team dugout. The STORM players were not more than a few feet from us. The visit was all remdog said it would be. One of my best experiences ever at a live baseball game. My son had a blast!!!

If any of you can get to a Dayton Dragons game, GO.....GO right away. What a way to see baseball played at a professional level. WOW!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I went to see the Lake Elsinore STORM play tonight against the Angels A team. But guess what, Chris Young made a rehab start. I didn't know anything about this until I was walking through the turnstile. He pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 runs on 3 hits.

Anyway, my son and I sat in the first row behind the home team dugout. The STORM players were not more than a few feet from us. The visit was all remdog said it would be. One of my best experiences ever at a live baseball game. My son had a blast!!!

If any of you can get to a Dayton Dragons game, GO.....GO right away. What a way to see baseball played at a professional level. WOW!
    During the strike of '95 and the following 3 seasons, I vowed to not give MLB one penny of my money. That's what got me hooked on Minor League baseball...it's like a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately, you get attached to some players and the best ones become Major League players and then you've gotta pay MLB to see them anyway. Oh well, there's nothing to stop me from going to BOTH MLB and MiLB games.

PS - Yes, I realize that some of the $$$ MiLB makes goes to MLB, but it was mostly a principle thing anyway.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I might have to check out a Lake Elsinore game one day. It's right between where I'm living in San Diego and my Mom-in-Laws in Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills.

I actually went to Lake Elsinore looking at all the houses up for auction because of the housing market.

Looks like a nice area, except with gas prices the commute to work would negate any savings for me. That's why they are selling cheap. Well, cheap for SoCal.

Glad you had a good time, Red-in-la.. Personally, I enjoy minor league baseball games live more than I do major league games live. The talent isn't quite as good, but I love the atmosphere, less traffic, better views, etc.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wonder if you noticed a player named Kellen Kulbacki. He played at my alma mater (co-National Player of the Year as a sophomore) and has been tearing it up for the Storm to the tune of a .959 OPS. He's considered a Brian Giles-type. I was hoping the Reds would draft him.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I wonder if you noticed a player named Kellen Kulbacki. He played at my alma mater (co-National Player of the Year as a sophomore) and has been tearing it up for the Storm to the tune of a .959 OPS. He's considered a Brian Giles-type. I was hoping the Reds would draft him.
    Yes, I noticed him. I am not sure what he did in the game.....I think he was 0-3. Both teams played a good game.

I love minor league games!

David Ortiz is rehabbing in Portland, Maine, with the Sea Dogs right now. I'd love to be there at Hadlock Field. I love that park.

Take a look at the leftfield wall they call "The Maine Monster."

http://www.seadogs.com/hadlock.html
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Because of the success they've had marketing the team, the Dragons are far less approachable than most A level teams. You will not walk up and buy tickets near the dugout. You'll be lucky to walk up and buy tickets were you have a seat.

On the other hand I would very much encourage anybody to go see the lookouts or the Sarasota reds. Great tickets can be had any night there. Minor league baseball is great.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

My first tip was going to be, "No, no one can tell you are high, but if you keep asking that over and over, someone is going to pick up on it."

And munchies. Lots of munchies.

Turn Off Ads?