Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior in Reds HOF

Junior in Reds HOF

We all know that Junior is a first ballot MLB HOF'er, but is he a Reds HOF'er?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Junior in Reds HOF

No. Not enough good consistent years.

got alil captain in u?

Nope he'd be a first ballot mariners hall of famer but his years in Cincy have been not so hot. His one career year was his first in a red uniform.

He will be.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Stat geek...and proud

He'll be in there just because of who he is, not necessarily how it worked out. I don't mind that. Nobody really takes team HOF's seriously anyway. It's just an excuse to have a museum. (and it's a really great museum)

Is the question "should he be" or "will he be"? Either way I say yes. Fans will want him in just because of who he is. I think he should be in if for nothing else because of the interest he's created for this franchise for the past 9 years. Think about how unbearable the Reds would have been to watch some of those years if we couldn't go to the ballpark and see a legend.

He doesn't deserve it, but he'll be in based on name recognition imo.

One of the best players to ever play the game spends 9 years in the Reds organization. He didn't put up his best numbers while he was here, he got injuried but during his tenure he represented the team as an All-Star, won Comeback Player of the Year, had his career saved via an experimental surgery and hit #600 without the assistance of steroids/HGH. Sometimes it's about more than just the numbers. Ken Griffey Jr. deserves to be in the Reds HOF. It's amazing how much this guy continues to be underappreciated.

He sure doesn't deserve it!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
    One of the best players to ever play the game spends 9 years in the Reds organization. He didn't put up his best numbers while he was here, he got injuried but during his tenure he represented the team as an All-Star, won Comeback Player of the Year, had his career saved via an experimental surgery and hit #600 without the assistance of steroids/HGH. Sometimes it's about more than just the numbers. Ken Griffey Jr. deserves to be in the Reds HOF. It's amazing how much this guy continues to be underappreciated.
    I get tired of hearing how underappreciated he is, let the Seattle fans appreciate him, they're the ones who saw all the good years. I have a hard time appreciating someone that had huge expectations and never even led this team to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
    Seconded. A first ballot HOFer that played for Cincinnati for nearly a decade. That's a no brainer.

Well...Cesar Geronimo made it...and while the argument can be made that Cesar was a better defensive CF'r than Junior during his tenure here, Junior...despite his injuries dwarfed Cesar's offensive numbers.

What it boils down for Griffey is that he did not meet fan expectations. In his 9 seasons with the Reds, he has:

AB: 3328
    H: 895
    R: 528
    HR: 208
    RBI: 597

He has averaged about 104 games per season. The most he ever played for us was in 2000 (145) and 2007 (144).

Let's compare another player who had injury problems with the Reds...Eric Davis's numbers:

AB: 3272
    H: 886
    R: 635
    HR: 203
    RBI: 615

Avg Games Played in Eric's 9 seasons: 109

Do those of you who believe Jr. is not a Reds HOF member believe the same about Eric Davis? If so, why?

Both played 9 complete seasons (Ken's 9th season is still not complete) with the Reds and had very similar numbers. Eric played on far better teams and Upper Management and Manager leadership than Ken has though.
    Last edited by BlastFurnace; 07-22-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I get tired of hearing how underappreciated he is, let the Seattle fans appreciate him, they're the ones who saw all the good years. I have a hard time appreciating someone that had huge expectations and never even led this team to the playoffs.
    That's such poor rationale. How is it only Junior's fault they didn't make the playoffs? Was he supposed to be a starting pitcher as well? The guy was sold a bad bill of goods. Bowden: "Yes, Junior. Come back home to Cincinnati. Take less money so we can get the starting pitchers we need."

You Junior haters crack me up. You cheer for below average players like Ryan Freel because he hustles (which is fine) but has little to no talent. Yet, you ridicule and criticize one of the most talented individuals to ever step on the playing field because he got hurt often from all the years his legs took a beating playing on astroturf. Might as well criticitze Lou Gehrig for dying too young.

Excellent post Blast Furnace. I was loooking at the same comparison prior to my first post.

I don't recall saying I hated junior at any point in time, in fact I like junior, but he just simply hasn't done that much in cincinnati to appreciate. He was absolutely great in Seattle, i'll be the first to admit that, but it really doesn't mean that much to me as a reds fan.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

Yes - He will be in the Reds HOF. No question.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Turn Off Ads?