Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thompson to the DL

Thompson to the DL

A young pitcher like this with shoulder trouble I would not worry about him pitching again this year.

From Fay:

Right-hander Daryl Thompson is on the DL at Triple-A Louisville with a shoulder strain.

"We don't think it's too serious," said Terry Reynolds, the Reds director of player development. "We think with rest and rehab he'll be able to pitch again this year."

A shoulder problem with any pitcher has to be a reason for concern, particularly one like Thompson who has has shoulder surgery two years ago.

Thompson, 22, hasn't pitched since his July 13 start. He's 5-0 with a 2.95 ERA at Louisville. He started the year at Double-A Chattanooga was went 3-2 with a 1.76 ERA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thompson to the DL

Sorry to hear this.

What were his Louisville pitch counts this year? I notice that Dusty kept him under 100 pitches in each of his MLB starts.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Good.

He's been going strong since Mid-February, and it's a natural rest for his arm at this point of his rehabilitation, which is really where he still is at. 2 more starts and he would have reached last year's totals, but if you add in the Spring Traing starts he had this year compared to the year before then he's already pitched as much as he did last year and at a much higher level where the pitches are more difficult to make.

It's a nice precautionary move to make sure that his arm develops at a proper progression from where it's been each of the last 4 years.

This bodes well that the REDS are serious about taking good care of him.

I'm sure they regret moving him up to the Majors, but it's nice to see that they're not so self-centered as to quickly admit that it was the wrong thing to do when they moved him back down.

I was really hoping that he wouldn't surpass 160 IP this year.

2003......46IP
    2004.......0IP
    2005......53IP
    2006......20IP
    2007....133IP
    2008....115IP....so far

He'll come back after this DL stint and pitch through the end of the season and stretch out his arm some more. It would also make sense for him to start next season in AAA and come up after May for the rest of the season, if he's ready at the time, and if not, it won't hurt him to have more AAA seasoning while building up his arm strength for a 190 IP season.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-22-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Sorry to hear this.

What were his Louisville pitch counts this year? I notice that Dusty kept him under 100 pitches in each of his MLB starts.
    Between 110 and 115 although he didn't always get that high.

I think I'm going to write this guy off. Shoulder surgery two years ago, and now this. I see him as a career injured player.

I wouldn't be penciling him into the Reds starting rotation.

Daryl Thompson seems like the perfect long reliever/spot starter for the Reds the next couple years and then maybe move him into the 4/5 spot if he can stay healthy. Great way to get him ML experience, strengthen the shoulder, and limit his innings to hopefully avoid shoulder problems.

Daryl Thompson seems like the perfect long reliever/spot starter for the Reds the next couple years and then maybe move him into the 4/5 spot if he can stay healthy. Great way to get him ML experience, strengthen the shoulder, and limit his innings to hopefully avoid shoulder problems.
    Interesting idea -- I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think I'm going to write this guy off. Shoulder surgery two years ago, and now this. I see him as a career injured player.

I wouldn't be penciling him into the Reds starting rotation.
    Wow. Jump to conclusions often?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    i had thought something similar. the Reds really need someone in the pen who can go more than one inning. Thompson in middle relief for 2009 was my idea.

there is a theory that small framed right handers are best as relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i had thought something similar. the Reds really need someone in the pen who can go more than one inning. Thompson in middle relief for 2009 was my idea.

there is a theory that small framed right handers are best as relievers.
    I'm glad you weren't Pedro Martinez's or Greg Maddux's manager.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm glad you weren't Pedro Martinez's or Greg Maddux's manager.
    i am not saying i buy the thoery. just that it exists.

thompson is small of frame and only two years off surgery. having him pitch middle relief for a while would be fine imo. teams like the twins and dodgers have started rookies in the pen for years. you had to prove you could get big league hitters out before you got a coveted rotation spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i am not saying i buy the thoery. just that it exists.

thompson is small of frame and only two years off surgery. having him pitch middle relief for a while would be fine imo. teams like the twins and dodgers have started rookies in the pen for years. you had to prove you could get big league hitters out before you got a coveted rotation spot.
    Yeah, I was just having fun. The Reds have already said that they're keeping a close eye on Thompson's innings, and if the idea is to keep Thompson as healthy as possible, I think having a once-every-five-days routine is more beneficial as opposed to not knowing which days he'll pitch.

By the way, for those keeping score at home, this is post #1700000.

So you rush a guy who's not ready and then he throws nearly 20 pitches per Inning at the MLB level (19.9) despite previous shoulder issues and now he goes on the DL with a shoulder issue.

Ok.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So you rush a guy who's not ready and then he throws nearly 20 pitches per Inning at the MLB level (19.9) despite previous shoulder issues and now he goes on the DL with a shoulder issue.

Ok.
    The rushing Thompson remark (I assume you mean AA up to MLB) doesn't really have a direct effect on his shoulder. Do you mean something else by that (returning too soon from injury?)

The 19.9 pitch per inning level does nothing for me because he only pitched a few starts, never more than 100 pitches. I have no complaints about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Ok.
    I haven't been wrong about anything I've said about Arroyo, Harang and Thompson all year. I agree with you that it was a mistake to bring him up as I said also that it was at the time.

While there could easily be more stress on the arm throwing 20 pitches per inning at the Major League level versus the AAA level because of what a pitcher might attempt to do on every pitch, I don't believe any permanent damage was done.

Fortunately, and wisely, Jockety and his advisors stopped Thompson after a few starts before any damage could be done. While Thompson never threw over 100 pitches, I mentioned at the time of his first start that he shouldn't have thrown over 90 pitches and that it was at his 90th pitch that he completely lost all strength in his arm. I also noticed that Baker recognized this as he went out and spoke to him immediately after the first loss of velocity of his throws. This move by Dusty increased my appreciation and respect for him.

Dusty also did the same thing in his next two starts, but in his 2nd start, Dusty left him in for 9 more pitches after the velocity went away instead of removing him like he did the first game. Leaving him in could have been an instruction from above to see how he handles himself when he loses his strength. They took a look, and then they stopped.

Thompson's last start was strenuous from the get-go and Thompson didn't have the arm strength from the very first pitch. They left him in there for another 90 pitches and they got to see what he pitched like when his arm was tired.

Then wisely, they sent him to AAA, and after 2 starts in AAA and a WHIP of over 1.500, they decided, FOR PRECAUTIONARY REASONS ONLY (AND IT'S THIS TYPE OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THOMPSON, ARROYO, AND HARANG THAT I'VE BEEN RIGHT ABOUT ALL YEAR,......the decided to shut him down for a while as he's pitched steadily and effectively since the time pitchers reported to Spring Training in mid-February. He's merely hit a wall, and they are protecting him to make sure that nothing bad happens,....that he doesn't hurt something else by trying to make a correction in his pitches. His arm is going to get some rest and he'll be back pitching this year as effectively as he pitched before he got called up to the Majors.

Also, Thompson won't be starting the year in the Majors next season either, no matter how well he pitches next Spring. The wisdom Jockety has shown with Harang and Thompson over the last month shows me they're being very careful with them and see them both as important assets to the ballclub.

Turn Off Ads?