Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Family story about the Reds

Family story about the Reds

We had a fundraiser for my brother who is running for judge here in Hamilton County this fall. My cousin and his wife were hosting it. Our aunt, my mom's younger sister came, and she was telling my cousin Dan how disgusted she was with the Reds. We told her it wouldn't last, that Grandma was rolling over in her grave and now probably commisserating with Ernie Lombardi to bring her back in the fold.

Then she tossed out a bombshell that I'd never heard in the family stories: My aunt was seven years old in 1938 and my grandpa worked for the railroad back then. After Vander Meer pitched his second no-hitter in Brooklyn, she and her siblings talked my grandpa into taking them down to Union Terminal to meet the train coming back. She said there were hardly any fans and she ended up giving Johnny Vander Meer a kiss as he got off the train.

I'd love to see if there were any photos from them coming off the train.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Family story about the Reds

LOL. Great story. I wonder if it looked something like this...

Re: Family story about the Reds

Great story, redsmetz. I imagine someone has a photo, and at least I hope so. This shows your family, like mine, were Reds fans from the beginning. It's a family tradition (with apologies to Hank Williams Jr.)
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?